Melbourne Port Guide

Fletch1

Hello all,

I have read quite a few threads asking for information on things to do in Melbourne and around the port area.

I have put a small document together with some information on the Melbourne CBD and Port area and things to do and see. I hope it assists someone.

I hope you enjoy your visit to this wonderful city.

2014 Melbourne Port Guide.pdf

Hello all,

I have read quite a few threads asking for information on things to do in Melbourne and around the port area.

I have put a small document together with some information on the Melbourne CBD and Port area and things to do and see. I hope it assists someone.

Thanks for the excellent information. The public transport system in Melbourne is the best in Australia. Sydney needs to take a look.;)

Hello all,

This is wonderful!! Thank you!! I have printed it!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Fletch1, for taking the time and trouble to make this guide. It will be very useful. It is so helpful to have the little details of exactly where to go, where to turn etc. It is so easy to take the wrong turn and head off in the wrong direction, wasting valuable time.

This tram system does seem to be a bit of a catch22 though. I still do not fully understand it. It seems that as a day visitor, you need to get a visitor pack with a preloaded card that has enough for a full day of travel on the trams and buses, however, from what I have read, it is only available in the city centre! Can it be purchased at the dock? How can these officials be helping people get their tickets? Are they selling these visitor packs? :confused:

Using trams, trains and buses in a strange city usually comes with the problem of knowing where to get off. In some places they have a screen telling you what the next stop is. Do they have this in Melbourne? It is usually impossible to see the street name in time to know when to get off. Sometimes it works to just follow everyone else, but sometimes they don't know either!

Thanks again for your help.

Thank you, Fletch1, for taking the time and trouble to make this guide. It will be very useful. It is so helpful to have the little details of exactly where to go, where to turn etc. It is so easy to take the wrong turn and head off in the wrong direction, wasting valuable time.

This tram system does seem to be a bit of a catch22 though. I still do not fully understand it. It seems that as a day visitor, you need to get a visitor pack with a preloaded card that has enough for a full day of travel on the trams and buses, however, from what I have read, it is only available in the city centre! Can it be purchased at the dock? How can these officials be helping people get their tickets? Are they selling these visitor packs? :confused:

Using trams, trains and buses in a strange city usually comes with the problem of knowing where to get off. In some places they have a screen telling you what the next stop is. Do they have this in Melbourne? It is usually impossible to see the street name in time to know when to get off. Sometimes it works to just follow everyone else, but sometimes they don't know either!

Hi bcscot,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I have been away. I will refer you to a recent link on Cruise Critic where there has been some discussion regarding the myki system. Perhaps that may answer some of your questions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php/t-1902522.html

Hopefully it does.

Edited by Fletch1

You can purchase the visitors pack including a one day usage MYKI at the dock and there will be people advising you of this and directing you to the sale point. Ask if this does not happen when you get off the ship. I had decided to purchase online (based on information on this web site) so I could walk straight off and along the wharf to the tram stop so I cannot comment on this process. We were also staying overnight so I had opted for a full MYKI. At the tram stop there were well briefed Melbourne Transport employees who managed the queue for the 109 tram into the city, handed out an outline of the route and answered questions about almost anything without being dismissive. Other passengers who had been to Melbourne before were also helpful. There was a line up but it cleared quickly based on my experience on December 5. Once we got into the city proper and turned into Collins Street there was an announcement about the next stop in sufficient time for you to get up (if you scored a seat) and move towards the door. If you are heading for a particular place and are concerned ask the transport staff at the station Pier stop for advice on the tram stop you need. Otherwise get off at Town Hall / Swanston Street. This is very central and if you turn right you end up at Federation Square and can go across the bridge on St Kilda Road to the National Gallery. People in Melbourne in my experience are willing to help ; one even going to the trouble of looking it up on his smart phone GPS. It helps to do some Google map research before you go. Enjoy!

You can purchase the visitors pack including a one day usage MYKI at the dock and there will be people advising you of this and directing you to the sale point. Ask if this does not happen when you get off the ship. I had decided to purchase online (based on information on this web site) so I could walk straight off and along the wharf to the tram stop so I cannot comment on this process. We were also staying overnight so I had opted for a full MYKI. At the tram stop there were well briefed Melbourne Transport employees who managed the queue for the 109 tram into the city, handed out an outline of the route and answered questions about almost anything without being dismissive. Other passengers who had been to Melbourne before were also helpful. There was a line up but it cleared quickly based on my experience on December 5. Once we got into the city proper and turned into Collins Street there was an announcement about the next stop in sufficient time for you to get up (if you scored a seat) and move towards the door. If you are heading for a particular place and are concerned ask the transport staff at the station Pier stop for advice on the tram stop you need. Otherwise get off at Town Hall / Swanston Street. This is very central and if you turn right you end up at Federation Square and can go across the bridge on St Kilda Road to the National Gallery. People in Melbourne in my experience are willing to help ; one even going to the trouble of looking it up on his smart phone GPS. It helps to do some Google map research before you go. Enjoy!

Thank you for your detailed and helpful reply. This is the information that I required.

Thanks again. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all,

Thanks Fletch this is a great help

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hello all,

Hi Fletch

Many thanks for this port guide. It's great! I notice that you suggest that going to the 12 Apostles is too far. In your research have you established that no tour companies will do private tours from the ship? Many thanks Annette and Bobby (ScotiaWaveRunner)

Hi Fletch

Many thanks for this port guide. It's great! I notice that you suggest that going to the 12 Apostles is too far. In your research have you established that no tour companies will do private tours from the ship? Many thanks Annette and Bobby (ScotiaWaveRunner)

Hi ScotiaWaveRunner,

It is possible....but you would not be able to go via the Great Ocean Road....you would have to go inland. Going via the Great Ocean Road would make it too long. The long windy road would be too time consuming. You would have to make a choice of either the Great Ocean Road or the 12 apostles (there is only about 6-7 there now too I think).

Google maps tells me it is about 230 kilometres, and about 3 hour drive time from Melbourne. You may be able to find a tour guide to get you there.....Good luck.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the excellent information. The public transport system in Melbourne is the best in Australia. Sydney needs to take a look.;)

Could we have a copy of your info on Melbourne? It seems like the tram system is the best way to get around; however, I have to know what are the sites.

Any other suggestions for Melbourne?

Sonda (Isosoni)

Hello all,

Good afternoon Fletch.

Excellent guide. Wouldn't it be great if all port residents chipped in with that kind of guide.

I have only recently published one of Melbourne myself, I did add it as another thread...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/01/04/one-way-to-do-melbourne-australia/

23151200212_3de4f6ccdf_z.jpg

(That's my wife auditioning in the Bowl)

Could we have a copy of your info on Melbourne? It seems like the tram system is the best way to get around; however, I have to know what are the sites.

Sonda (Isosoni)

Hi Sonda.

Just in case you missed my link here it is again...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/01/04/one-way-to-do-melbourne-australia/

Hi ScotiaWaveRunner,

It is possible....but you would not be able to go via the Great Ocean Road....you would have to go inland. Going via the Great Ocean Road would make it too long. The long windy road would be too time consuming. You would have to make a choice of either the Great Ocean Road or the 12 apostles (there is only about 6-7 there now too I think).

Google maps tells me it is about 230 kilometres, and about 3 hour drive time from Melbourne. You may be able to find a tour guide to get you there.....Good luck.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi Fletch.

I seem to recall we did it in about 4 hours, but that included a number of stops. I must photograph everything of interest.

So the journey would be rather tight on time either way.

That of course is a great shame because the Great Ocean Road and particularly the 12 Apostles are such great visits.

We did the journey in 2014 while tracking Queen Mary 2 on her Oz circumnavigation...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/03/25/queen-mary-2-circumnavigates-australia-our-adventure/

We hired a 4x4 in Adelaide after seeing QM2 arrive there and then drove along the Great Ocean Road to Melbourne in time to see QM2 arrive there.

13402545403_8420713570_z.jpg

Sonda (Isosoni)

The tram and the train system are the best way to get around Melbourne. Buy a day pass and then you can hop on and hop off either whenever it suits. I personally don't have any info on the public transport system, but someone else has posted a link on this thread, so that should be very helpful.