O versus Regent

fred 15

It is just as mellow. We cruise both. If anything, Regent is more laid back because people don't have to worry about putting out cards for drinks. Same nice people. Same nice service.

I prefer Explorer, but we are going on Voyager in September. We will then do two O cruises after that.

Going on our first Regent cruise. What is the difference other than all inclusive? Ambiance, service, food, attire? Are the passengers more affected, or is it just as mellow as O?

Thanks

You write, "other than the all inclusive" casually, but to me, that is a sufficient difference to rule out Regent. I won't say I've never booked a ship's excursions, but I haven't taken one in at least a decade. Oceania's O Life program narrows the gap between Regent by including some ship's excursions. Happily, there are two O Life alternatives for cruisers who prefer private excursions.

Here's the language describing Oceania's O Life Benefits: "Enjoy an even more care-free experience with OLife Choice*, which offers you the flexibility to personalize your vacation experience. Easily stay in touch with FREE Unlimited Internet, PLUS select one from a choice of generous amenities: FREE Shore Excursions, FREE House Beverage Package or a Shipboard Credit. "

Agree with Caroldoll and we also cruise both (but our preference is Regent).

Service is about the same on both ships. Food is subjective. We prefer the MDR on Regent and dramatically prefer Regent's buffet dining venue to Oceania's Terrace Cafe. However, nothing can beat Jacques IMO. The steak and Italian restaurants are similar - no particular preference there. The only Regent ship with an Asian Fusion restaurant is the Explorer (the only Regent ship that is more beautiful than anything Oceania has). I would't say that Pacific Rim is much better than Red Ginger but being able to do sake tasting with dinner in Pacific Rim is nice (or perhaps it is the sake that makes the food seem a tiny bit better):halo:

The Explorer is a different Regent experience - one where you can dine in specialty restaurants during the day without reservations - only Chartreuse (French) and Prime 7 (steakhouse). It is also the only ship that puts on a lavash buffet on Sundays when Sunday is a sea day. I believe that Oceania puts on a similar buffet - have not been able to take advantage of it on the Riviera.

Most passengers on Regent are well traveled and are repeat customers (exception to this are Alaska and Caribbean itineraries when there are a lot of people new to Regent). You really can't tell which people have more or less money and really - no one cares. By the same token, no one cares if you are in the top suite or the least expensive. Your keycard gives no indication of your suite level - only the level that you have reached in the Seven Seas Society. I would say that most people new to Regent come from premium and premium plus cruise lines where new Oceania cruisers seem to come from premium and mainstream (not a big deal - just a difference in cruising experiences).

Dress code is almost the same as Oceania. However, there are no jeans permitted - not in any dining venue or lounge after 6:00 p.m. It does not matter if your jeans cost $1,000 or $20. Yes - some people "get away" with white or black denim but most Regent guests are not trying to "get away" with anything. Men can wear polo shirts and Dockers, slacks and dress shirts, sports jackets and even suits and ties to dinner (yes - we see all of this on all cruises).

My personal reason for preferring Regent over Oceania is the all-inclusiveness. Even though we dislike included excursions, we like Regent Choice excursions (that have a cost). We took an identical excursion on Oceania and Regent. Regent's charge was $89/person while Oceania's cost was around $450/person.

On Oceania, the drinks are weak (we don't drink a lot but when we order a drink - whether included or not, we don't want measured 1 oz. pours). On Regent, drinks can be as weak or strong as you like. The lounges do not get as crowded as on Oceania (especially during Oceania's happy hour).

I want to say that Regent is more laid back but in certain ways Oceania is. There seems to be more to do on Regent on sea days. Also, the officers and crew are more interactive with the guests on Regent. Some Oceania posters say that they have no desire to mix with the officers which is fine. From our perspective, the crew can be more interesting than other guests. After all, they are working 7 days a week for months on end - away from their families - trying to give them a better life. Their lives on the ship as well as at home is so interesting. Unlike on Oceania, the crew on Regent are given permission to interact with guests as long as they get their job done. We will board a Regent ship in 22 days (but whose counting) and look forward to the greeting that we always get "welcome home".

Sorry for the long post. It was not my intention to bash Regent or Oceania in any way. These are simply personal preferences.