PRINCESS Shuttle from Rome City Center to Civitavecchia Port

HeinBloed

Does anyone of you know where is the boarding point for the PRINCESS shuttle from Rome City Center???

My TA told me that shuttle is available on day of debarkation either from the airport and from Rome City Center.

But where is the boarding point??? Just to arrange hotel close by.

I know that there is a train too... but sometimes with a lot of bags you want some comfort and I think 138 USD pp for a return transfer from the City Center to the port and back to the airport is not bad compared to the private transfers as we are just two.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Does anyone of you know where is the boarding point for the PRINCESS shuttle from Rome City Center???

My TA told me that shuttle is available on day of debarkation either from the airport and from Rome City Center.

But where is the boarding point??? Just to arrange hotel close by.

I know that there is a train too... but sometimes with a lot of bags you want some comfort and I think 138 USD pp for a return transfer from the City Center to the port and back to the airport is not bad compared to the private transfers as we are just two.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi, We were on the Star Princess TA from Rome to Ft Lauderdale in Nov/Dec 2007. We took the shuttle from City Centre, and it was from the Crowne Plaza - St Peters. We happened to stay at the hotel (although not throught the pre-cruise package), so it was easy. My parents stayed at the St Regis, and took a taxi and met us for the shuttle at the Crowne Plaza. We happen to be taking a TA on Celebrity (Equinox, departing 11/05/09!!!) and their shuttle from City Centre also departs from the Crowne Plaza. Think that it is "the place". Although it is certainly not in the Center of anything!!

Hope this helps! Hotel, BTW, is very clean and nice...nothing overly fancy..but FAR from anything.

Tracy

HeinBloed: did your TA give you a price for the transportation from the Rome City Center to the Cruise Port?

Yes -

it should be 138.00 USD per person

for

Rome (City Center) - Civitavecchia Port - Rome (Airport Fiumicino-Leonardo da Vinci)

As we are only two I do not find it so bad, as 138.00 USD = 95.00 EUR only and so much more cheaper than a limo.

Regards,

HeinBloed

As only information for those of interest :) But I have taken the train and highly recommend it, for those who don't haul the "kitchen sink". :) And have no mobility limitations. Definately a bargain transfer. About $26 ($18 euros) for 2, using a BIRG ticket. Cabs available from the Civitavecchia train station, or an easy level walk, again with no mobility limitations, quality rolling bag and packing light. :)

Budget Queen: Can you please share how to take the train to the Cruise port. Our hotel is near the Spanish Steps and ship sails on a Tuesday. Do we cab it to the termini? How long is the train ride and do we have to transfer trains? Do we pre-purchase tickets or buy them there?

We currently have a price from Rome Cabs for 150 euros (4 people) but may try tackling the train if it's pretty easy. Most of us will have 1-2 large pieces of luggage. 36 euros for 2 couples is a huge price savings.

Thank you.

As only information for those of interest :) But I have taken the train and highly recommend it, for those who don't haul the "kitchen sink". :) And have no mobility limitations. Definately a bargain transfer. About $26 ($18 euros) for 2, using a BIRG ticket. Cabs available from the Civitavecchia train station, or an easy level walk, again with no mobility limitations, quality rolling bag and packing light. :)

Thanks but as said before:

For those who wants to use the train:

there are so many postings on

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

which explain how to take the train to Civitavecchia.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We are going on the Grand Princess out of Civitivecchia on Sept. 19. The Princess Rep told me the pick up hotel for those desiring Princess transfers would be one of the Princess hotels: the Jolly Hotel Midas in City Centre for $69 per person. Leaving between 11:00 and 12:30 as they fill up the buses.

We are going on the Grand Princess out of Civitivecchia on Sept. 19. The Princess Rep told me the pick up hotel for those desiring Princess transfers would be one of the Princess hotels: the Jolly Hotel Midas in City Centre for $69 per person. Leaving between 11:00 and 12:30 as they fill up the buses.

Thanks - I think that I need to ask directly PRINCESS to get the correct address.

Did you book the PRINCESS-Pre-Cruise-Hotel???

I checked the location both are close too each other so we might need 10 EUR to get to the other hotel...

Regards,

HeinBloed

We considered one of the Princess hotels and the shuttle but in the end decided to save some money and take the train. We are staying close (but not TOO close) to Termini station to make it as convenient as possible to schlep the bags to the station.

By the way, if you do want to stay in one of the Princess hotels, book it directly yourself and not through Princess to save a TON of money.

Budget Queen: Can you please share how to take the train to the Cruise port. Our hotel is near the Spanish Steps and ship sails on a Tuesday. Do we cab it to the termini? How long is the train ride and do we have to transfer trains? Do we pre-purchase tickets or buy them there?

We currently have a price from Rome Cabs for 150 euros (4 people) but may try tackling the train if it's pretty easy. Most of us will have 1-2 large pieces of luggage. 36 euros for 2 couples is a huge price savings.

Thank you.

Simple, take the metro to Termini station- right at the Spanish Steps. Purchase the BIRG ticket at the ticket counter, and look up the track. It is a single train. I've never seen 1st class cars, but do check for a 2 on the side. Be sure to validate your ticket before boarding.

Simple, take the metro to Termini station- right at the Spanish Steps. Purchase the BIRG ticket at the ticket counter, and look up the track. It is a single train. I've never seen 1st class cars, but do check for a 2 on the side. Be sure to validate your ticket before boarding.

It's strange what you wrote:

A BIRG ticket is a day pass valid for Metro, Buses and train to Civitavecchia.

It's 9 EUR.

You ask the cruiser to go to Termini Station and then to buy a BIRG ticket.

Why not buying it directly at the Metro Station as the ride is included???

So if you buy the tickets separately:

Ticket to Termini Train Station by metro is 1 EUR

A single ticket in 2nd class is 4.50 EUR (1st class is 7.00 EUR)

So why should the cruiser pay 10.00 EUR to get to Civitavecchia if she can do it for 5.50 EUR???

There are regional trains with 2nd class only configuration. But some do have 1st and 2nd class cars.

Regards

HeinBloed

This post is misleading. The BIRG ticket, as the next poster pointed out, is for regional train travel in Lazio and local mass transit in Rome. It can be used for the train to Civitavecchia, but NOT for ALL trains to Civitavecchia. The express trains from Termini ARE NOT included on the BIRG ticket.

If you will be taking a regional train and will also be using mass transit in Rome (within the same day), the BIRG makes the most ecomonic sense.

If your only transit is the train, you might just as well buy a one way ticket to Civitavecchia.

• 3 months later...

Really easy to take the train, we also had a hotel near the Spanish Steps - took the metro to Termini, purchased a ticket at one of the automated ticket stands (regional train). Leave yourself lots of time to get to the platform and check with someone waiting there just to make sure the train goes to Civi. Can be a bit of a push getting on if it is busy.

You should only do this if you have limited luggage and are capable of lifting it up the two feet or so onto the train. When you get to Civi you may also have to go down a fairly long staircase to get to the other side of the tracks. Then it is a 10 minute or so (flat)walk to the port. Shuttles await at the port entrance to take you to the ship.

Just a note: Always, Always, Always have your important docs and money in a money belt under your clothes. Pickpockets are plentiful on the metro.

In our experience, Rome and Barcelona are the worst for pickpockets.

Back to my original question as I still do not want to go by train (although we have a train station directly in front of our hotel...).

PRINCESS has confirmed this hotel as meeting point for the transfer to the ship.

Via Aurelia 800 between 11.00 hrs and 12.00 hrs

Meanwhile it has been rebranded and it is now NH Jolly Midas Hotel.

But I think it does not make too much sense to use it as we are staying at the other side of the City Center and taxi plus shuttle is more than a direct limo-service.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived