Is Princess still doing Zumba classes?

Sincity

Two out of the three (two 7 days and one 10 day) Princess cruises we were on last year had Zumba classes and the third did not. Wife was a little disappointed on the third trip. We're on the Coral next week and she is wondering........

Two out of the three (two 7 days and one 10 day) Princess cruises we were on last year had Zumba classes and the third did not. Wife was a little disappointed on the third trip. We're on the Coral next week and she is wondering........

I think they do as long has they have someone who can teach it. We did on our recent Crown cruise, but I know there was some before ours that did not. They were also only on sea days.

Kim

I just got off the Crown Princess 4/21/12 and I participated in all 5 zumba classes ! They were held in Club Fusion at 9 am. Toby taught the lessons and was very good. Karen and Nat ( part of the cruise director's staff) just became certified to teach zumba. On one day Toby had Karen teach a few dances to get experience teaching. Then another day Nat ( had been on the Crown for 1 week and from Brazil ) taught a few dances during class . Great attendance and FUN ! For me it was great to do zumba since I do it a lot at home. They also had Bollywood dancing classes in the atrium 3 times. Teacher was great and we had a ball. Karen taught line dancing 3 times. I was pleased to have all the opportunities. Those interested in ballroom they had a lot of those classes too ( cha cha ,tango,merengue, can't remember what else).

Sali

Is there a charge to take the zumba classes ? If they do offer them on a cruise, how do find that out and do you just show up at the designated time and location ? I have never been to a zumba class before and it looks like lots of fun.

Is there a charge to take the zumba classes ? If they do offer them on a cruise, how do find that out and do you just show up at the designated time and location ? I have never been to a zumba class before and it looks like lots of fun.

Princess does not charge for dance classes. In the gym they charge for spinning classes. Every evening the Princess Patter will be delivered to your stateroom with all the times and activities for the next day.

Sali

Just off the Coral. No Zumba. :(

Of course, I guess that could change with changes in staffing....

Darn....wife will be disappointed again. We are bringing my iPhone and portable speakers. I hope they don't mind her playing her music and dancing in the gym when there are no seminars or classes.

Darn....wife will be disappointed again. We are bringing my iPhone and portable speakers. I hope they don't mind her playing her music and dancing in the gym when there are no seminars or classes.

As long as she uses earphones she might me OK but I doubt others would appreciate her music while exercising.

As long as she uses earphones she might me OK but I doubt others would appreciate her music while exercising.

I guess she'll have to either go on an open deck somewhere that is not populated or on our balcony.

Still on the Sapphire last week.

Yes, Zumba is offered on other ships, but not on the Coral this past month. I guess the issue is staffing. Zumba teachers have to go through training, and since Zumba's not a profit center, corporate has little to gain by ensuring every ship has a staffer who can Zumba between hosting trivia and calling Bingo. Next-to-last cruise, the same person taught line dance and Zumba. On the Coral, the line dance instructor didn't seem like the Zumba Type, but I now recall she was due to be transferred, so maybe her replacement will teach the big Z.

On the Sapphire Zumba was offered by the excise/gym staff not cruise staff.

Interesting.... On the Grand and Island, it was led by entertainment staff. I guess it just depends on who onboard - if anyone - is qualified to teach.

Just back from Sapphire 3 days ago. The did have zumba, but it filled up early.

Pat

So when you say "it filled up," does that mean it was a sign-up-in-advance type thing at the gym? And was there, therefore, an upcharge? When I've done it (on the Island and Grand), it was managed like line dancing - just show up at the Lounge or (better) outside on Lido deck.

So when you say "it filled up," does that mean it was a sign-up-in-advance type thing at the gym? And was there, therefore, an upcharge? When I've done it (on the Island and Grand), it was managed like line dancing - just show up at the Lounge or (better) outside on Lido deck.

Sorry~~~I meant that everyone arrived early--like 6AM ish.

I didn't take the class, but my DIL tried. :)

Pat

On the Sapphire Zumba was offered by the excise/gym staff not cruise staff.

Just back from Sapphire 3 days ago. The did have zumba, but it filled up early.

Pat

We were on the Sapphire to Hawaii in March. It was taught by Ryan an assistant cruise director. It was held either in Club Fusion or on the Lido deck depending on the weather. No charge & no sign up. Everyone who wanted to could come. No limit at all. Shepp it was managed exactly like line dancing. [/color][/b]

I love dancing and hope to teach a Zumba style class some day. Took the Basic Workshop and am working on getting certified for Primary Group Fitness through AFAA.

Be aware, that on almost all ships (HAL, X, and Princess) that there are narrow windows of time to do "your own thing" in the Aerobics Room. And I have taken 12 cruises over the past eight years.

I have danced now for six years and I have it figured out. The best time to go in is between 11:00 a.m. to about 1:30 p.m. Check the program for that day as things do change. What is frustrating is that the cruise lines use that precious space for the seminars. On the big ships, they could easily schedule them elsewhere other than setting up chairs right on the exercise floor, thereby blocking most people from using it!

If you are lucky enough for sea days, that is when the aerobics room is free. Great practice, too, if you have some wave action ;-) And even when I have used the aerobics room, there often will be others doing floor exercises or whatever. And, often, the trainer who sits at the desk in the gym will turn on the gym's stereo and play the music they like or what they "think" others like. The nano effectively allows you to overide that :D

I have complained on every cruise survey about the Aerobics Room being used for seminars. And, they like to park the chairs right in front of the mirrors. So far, nothing has changed, so I have had to work around it.

Has your wife thought about using an Apple 6th Generation I-pod Nano clip on? With inexpensive Sennheiser earbuds (can order them from Amazon) she will have great sound quality. The "buds" can be purchased for between $30-$35.00. Sennheiser also has some very expensive earbuds, but really, the ones I just mentioned are perfect.

There are also some competitively priced nano copies.

I forgot to mention, that when we were on the Princess Sapphire a couple of months ago, I noticed on the schedule that there are a few times, again narrow window....to use Club Fusion or some of the other club rooms. Again, you have to check their schedule to see what is going on at what hours. Still, the larger ships offer more than just depending on the aerobics room:)

I hope this helps. I know I would go crazy if I could not keep up my dancing while cruising....especially on our month long cruises.

Arwen

I hope this helps. I know I would go crazy if I could not keep up my dancing while cruising....especially on our month long cruises.

Arwen

She will go crazy if she doesn't get her dancing/exercise in. She does Zumba 4x (on Wed she takes a 5 am and 6 pm class) a week along with bellydancing. She doesn't have a Nano, but a Sony MP3 player that has a small color screen. I got her an arm band for the Sony on our last cruise.

Edited by Sincity