Palau de la Musica in Barcelona

We're staying in a hotel at the top of La Ramblas near Placa Catalunya. We'd like to visit Palau de la Musica de Catalan but we're not 100% sure how best to get there. Walking from the hotel would be our preference. I searched on-line for directions (I think it's in the Barri Gothic) but had little success. Can anyone help with directions from Placa Catalunya?

From the southeast corner of Placa Catalunya:

two blocks on Carrer de Fontanella

turn right on Via Laietana; continue three blocks

turn left on some tiny street; the concert hall is two short blocks. It is well signposted, so once on Via Laietana, you will NOT miss it?

Interesting building, but not great acoustics

From the southeast corner of Placa Catalunya:

two blocks on Carrer de Fontanella

turn right on Via Laietana; continue three blocks

turn left on some tiny street; the concert hall is two short blocks.

It is well signposted, so once on Via Laietana, you will NOT miss it.

Thank you for these user-friendly directions. Printed & ready to go. Without them, betcha we could miss it first go-around! :D:D

We also plan to take a guided tour of the Palau de la Misica. At there website they suggest buying tickets in advance which are sold one week before the visit. Anyone know if you can get tickets when you get there rather than purchasing in advance?

Yes, you can buy them when you show up. I assume they can be sold out, though.. hence the suggestion to buy in advance. I have a rule to never travel anywhere during the local high season, so I can't give you any advice on how likely they are to sell out in advance.

I purchased them 1 week before on-line - we were the first tour at 9 a.m. - we were pretty full!!

I was in Rome and used the hotel's internet to purchase and prin off my receipt.....

It's a beautiful building, very interesting architecture and features...

I would suggest you buy them on line before you visit. We visited Barcelona last year for a week-end break and turned up to purchase tickets whilst we were there but all the tours were fully booked. I think leaving them until you visit might be a bit risky and you could well be disappointed.

• 4 weeks later...
Not trying to highjack, but would like to see a performance. Has anyone gone to an evening performance and ordered tickets by credit card in advance. Did you have any problems? Thanks!

Technically, we went to an afternoon performance ;)

But we ordered tickets about three weeks in advance by credit card and picked them up at the self-serve machine at the Palau when we arrived. It was very easy!! I loved our time at the Palau and thought the performance was more fun than a tour would've been.

Make sure you arrive early enough to spend some time to walk through the hall and check out all the decorations ahead of time. There is LOTS to see.

Also, if you can, I advise booking a seat on the first balcony level "Primer Pis" for better views than on the main level.

But we ordered tickets about three weeks in advance by credit card and picked them up at the self-serve machine at the Palau when we arrived. It was very easy!! I loved our time at the Palau and thought the performance was more fun than a tour would've been.
We'd also love to see a concert at the Palau but there's nothing scheduled during our time in Barcelona. But I wonder if the concert line-up on the website is current. I've read about folks buying last-minute tickets at the box office for same-day performances. So we also plan to ask about what's on before our tour.

Technically, we went to an afternoon performance ;)

Make sure you arrive early enough to spend some time to walk through the hall and check out all the decorations ahead of time. There is LOTS to see.

Also, if you can, I advise booking a seat on the first balcony level "Primer Pis" for better views than on the main level.

I noticed that the evening we disembark in Barcelona, they have an evening concert that we would be interested in. Do you have a sense of what the dress code might be for concerts there?

I noticed that the evening we disembark in Barcelona, they have an evening concert that we would be interested in. Do you have a sense of what the dress code might be for concerts there?

We did not see anyone wearing jeans & t-shirts at our afternoon concert and did not feel out of a place with a sweater and nice black pants.

I would imagine the evening concert might be slightly more formal, but certainly a jacket or cocktail dress would probably be overdressed. I would recommend nice pants with a dress shirt given the ambiance. I don't think a tie would be necessary but officially I do not know.

We did not see anyone wearing jeans & t-shirts at our afternoon concert and did not feel out of a place with a sweater and nice black pants.

I would imagine the evening concert might be slightly more formal, but certainly a jacket or cocktail dress would probably be overdressed. I would recommend nice pants with a dress shirt given the ambiance. I don't think a tie would be necessary but officially I do not know.

Thanks

We bought our tickets today. We were fortunate that my husband works with someone originally from Spain who was familiar with the performer and gave us advise. Thanks also for the advise about sitting up in the higher seats - the really cool thing about this theater is that they show you where the seat is located and give you an actual "view" from the seat so you know beforehand what and how much you will see. We actually saved money by getting seats higher, but more center - which we prefer. Can't wait to go, this cruise keeps getting better and better:D

Archived