Front sweet sixteen cabin: too much rock & roll?

jocelysue

DH & I have booked a sweet sixteen cabin on X's Infinity for full Panama Canal transit in April 2014.He has Parkinson's and is not always completely steady on his feet. He doesn't fall but has to stop a bit sometimes because of dizziness.

A friend has told me that we are too much forward and should look for a centre cabin instead. Problem: there is none available as of now. We cannot afford a suite. We could find an OV but being on a balcony during the transit is on DH's bucket list. He is quite elderly and doesn't want to wait for another year because he is afraid his health may become worse.

We still have two weeks befor final payment. Suggestions please. Keep our cabin and hope for the best or cancel our réservations and hope his health doesn't deteriorate until 2015 ? In other words, is the movement in the forward section that bad? BTW, we have cruised quite a bit, always centre or aft and usually have solid sea legs and no seasickness.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Going through the Canal, you should not experience any problems. As far as the oceans, it could be very unpredictable. In my opinion, it is unlikely that there would be any major storms. You might feel a little rolling and if your DH is careful, he should not have any problems. My suggestion would be that he develop a habit of holding onto the furniture or surroundings for his own safety while walking even when he is at home.

Since the final payment is coming up, someone with your desired location may cancel, so make sure you are on a wait list for one of those cabins. Also, follow-up to make sure they are constantly checking for the possibility of a cabin becoming available.

I would recommend that you take the trip, do not cancel.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

In November I stayed in a forward handicapped accessible cabin while on the Breeze. Like you, I usually book a cabin mid ship, but on the Breeze the balcony cabins are forward. I did notice a lot more movement, even in calmer seas. I personally would not cancel the cruise. Just be aware that you will feel more movement and make sure your husband holds onto something while walking. Enjoy your cruise!!