Safety of carrying a designer handbag in Europe?

Oh - the Scuola del Cuoio is the Leather School in the back of the Santa Croce church in Florence. It indeed has high-quality leather goods. If you want to whet your whistle, they do have a website with offering: http://www.scuoladelcuoio.com

I bought my black lambskin leather jacket there back in 2007. Not cheap, but it is soooo soft and is still looking good and in style!!!

Shesh! I was all ready to settle on a Kate Spade bag I saw in a local store until now. If Contemporary bag 7203 shows as available in Fango soon I will be calling Florence to order it. You had to add the modern world web site URL? ;). The prices are worth it. I had one of their woven calfskin wallets that held up nicely for about 20 years of almost daily use. I also had a saddle type bag in a white woven calfskin but even the best work manship cannot really keep all those edges clean. I should have bought the light grey like my wallet. Still it was beautiful for at least 5 years and servicable for another 3 or 4. I wish they had a travel bag with a thin laptop padded section. I will tell my husband about the iPad skin. Even the majority of their contemporary bags are slated to become classics.

I just hope that the Gori family never signs on as a favored by store for any cruise line. I think that might be the beginning of the end of the school. I love that their site includes the history of its humble beginnings.

I have jacket envy now too and I haven't even seen yours!

I bought a wallet in Florence in 1992 and used it HARD for years and years. Took it to my cobbler for repairs more than once. Still own it! Though I haven't used it in a while (it's pretty beat up and can't really be fixed any more:(

Probably best for my bag obsession if I don't go to Florence for a while (though I was there in 1996 or 97 and don't think I bought any leather....)

I bought a couple of beautiful leather bags in Paris a few years ago - I love those small shops, intimate beautiful craftsmanship and fun stuff that you're not going to see on everyone else.

<my snip>

Oh - the Scuola del Cuoio is the Leather School in the back of the Santa Croce church in Florence. It indeed has high-quality leather goods. If you want to whet your whistle, they do have a website with offering: http://www.scuoladelcuoio.com

I bought my black lambskin leather jacket there back in 2007. Not cheap, but it is soooo soft and is still looking good and in style!!!

Oh snap, I think I know what I'm bringing home from our upcoming trip... I'm not a fan of anything with logos, but I love good quality leather :)

I appreciate the info. :)

Kitty, if you do go could you please report back if they are still offering shoes? I am not a logo fan either and the last trip to Rome my favorite shoe store had disappeared. It was a no-name shop at the far end of the Via Condotti near the Corso. I don't think the Scuola made the shoes but offered them from a previous student there. I would love some some soft smoking slippers.

Oh snap, I think I know what I'm bringing home from our upcoming trip... I'm not a fan of anything with logos, but I love good quality leather :)

I appreciate the info. :)

(bolding mine)

I so agree with that statement, and I need a new handbag. This year's trend seems to be some sort of badge or logo on every one of them :(

My "little indulgences" are for my own enjoyment, not to advertise for some "label" ;)

It was my pleasure, ladies. Just have those several hundred EUs on hand to buy those bags!!! I'd rather have one of these that will last years and years over some designer-badged bag!

Well, this thread has taken a pleasant turn!

Given the prices Bottega Veneta asks for their woven leather, I think these bags would be well worth it.

(bolding mine)

I so agree with that statement, and I need a new handbag. This year's trend seems to be some sort of badge or logo on every one of them :(

My "little indulgences" are for my own enjoyment, not to advertise for some "label" ;)

I refuse to buy any bags with an identifying logo. I did buy a Kate Spade that has her name on it but it's very tiny and you can hardly see it. Michael Kors has the big honkin' MK on everything.

I refuse to buy any bags with an identifying logo. I did buy a Kate Spade that has her name on it but it's very tiny and you can hardly see it. Michael Kors has the big honkin' MK on everything.

We spent a few days in a bit city recently, used public transit, did loads of walking. Everywhere we went, I saw women carrying the newest "badged" or logoed handbags for this season. IMHO there is nothing special when everyone has one. Nor do I need to advertise what I am carrying.

Awww, I love my Chanel handbags, CC logo and all. :) I have gotten so much wear from them and a trip now and then to the shoemaker keeps the leather looking beautiful.

Okay I admit that my Chanel wallet has a "CC" on it :D And the next one I get will, also. :D That won't be this year, though, as my mind absolutely refuses to accept quilted lamb with a honking big industrial-looking zipper. Hopefully by next year the zipper will be toned down on the one I want.

I tried to send my current wallet to the Chanel spa, but the rep told me it didn't need a spa, it needed a diet ;)

We spent a few days in a bit city recently, used public transit, did loads of walking. Everywhere we went, I saw women carrying the newest "badged" or logoed handbags for this season. IMHO there is nothing special when everyone has one. Nor do I need to advertise what I am carrying.

Okay I admit that my Chanel wallet has a "CC" on it :D And the next one I get will, also. :D That won't be this year, though, as my mind absolutely refuses to accept quilted lamb with a honking big industrial-looking zipper. Hopefully by next year the zipper will be toned down on the one I want.

I tried to send my current wallet to the Chanel spa, but the rep told me it didn't need a spa, it needed a diet ;)

LOL--- I used a designer bag in Europe. It was "designed" to be cut proof, radio wave proof, cross body, roomy and it locked. It was secure and didn't attract attention, which was the objective. OK, there might have been a Coach wallet tucked inside out of sight. :)

(bolding mine)

:oI love my Michael Kors signature crossover, but more because I like the colour and the functionality of it. Nice safe, deep front pocket that snaps shut.

Quote Sapper.... OK, there might have been a Coach wallet tucked inside out of sight. :)

.... and the Coach purses (yes, plural), back on the ship, LOL! Coach in Galleria rolls out the red carpet when they see you coming.:D

Cow Princess - I know exactly which big city you are referring to. And don't forget the designer pet-carriers as well.

Kitty, if you do go could you please report back if they are still offering shoes? I am not a logo fan either and the last trip to Rome my favorite shoe store had disappeared. It was a no-name shop at the far end of the Via Condotti near the Corso. I don't think the Scuola made the shoes but offered them from a previous student there. I would love some some soft smoking slippers.

Hi, if we make it to the shop, I will definitely report back :) If photos are allowed I will take some.

Hi, if we make it to the shop, I will definitely report back :) If photos are allowed I will take some.

Unless they are worried about you casing the place there shouldn't be any problems with photos. The leather goods are separate from the church and monastery areas. You might want a picture of the outside to guide any friends who aren't great with maps.

I found the only problem with Italian made shoes sold in most Italian boutiques and stores are made for narrow feet and very short toes. I remember the Scola as having some more rounded than pointy toed shoes as did my favorite place in Rome. That may have been why their lovely and very comfortable high heels, not really stilettos, were also fairly reasonably priced for the Via Condotti. They probably were an outlet for a company that shipped most of their product to North America.

I still have a Coach bag from about 1990. I thought it had gotten lost in a move but found it again 2 moves later. It is a deep, rich brown and the only logo is a branding inside the bag. I was just looking at the Neiman Marcus site and saw a nice Marc Jacobs bag but my Gawd! His full name is emblazed in gold tone metal on the outside of the bag AND the MK logo tag added on as a jewel type bauble off one of the handle bases. His scarves are even worse. They have a brand I had never heard of without huge logos all over everyone. It is Oxyany and they line their bags in nice fabrics with some having their logo printed in it not on it. But with those prices and the Euro down against the dollar buying in Florence may be a better deal all around.

Sue

LOL--- I used a designer bag in Europe. It was "designed" to be cut proof, radio wave proof, cross body, roomy and it locked. It was secure and didn't attract attention, which was the objective. OK, there might have been a Coach wallet tucked inside out of sight. :)

The problem with these bags, I'd imagine, is that they are so easily identifiable as belonging to a tourist who is very concerned about whatever is inside. Those are the kind of bags I'd target if I were a thief.

I also wonder about those bags with their steel cable handles. What happens if one of the scooter thieves -- they even have a name in Italy, the 'scippatori' -- comes along and grabs your bag? Are you going to get dragged down the street because you cannot get loose?

Extreme idea, I know. But I have read at least two instances of it happening in Naples. :eek:

The problem with these bags, I'd imagine, is that they are so easily identifiable as belonging to a tourist who is very concerned about whatever is inside. Those are the kind of bags I'd target if I were a thief.

I also wonder about those bags with their steel cable handles. What happens if one of the scooter thieves -- they even have a name in Italy, the 'scippatori' -- comes along and grabs your bag? Are you going to get dragged down the street because you cannot get loose?

Extreme idea, I know. But I have read at least two instances of it happening in Naples. :eek:

My thought, exactly. Nothing like tagging yourself as a tourist for robbing or fleecing or ripping off by using a well-known bag that only tourists use...

Edited by slidergirl

Even if the average criminal is browsing Magellan’s website to view travel purses, it strikes me as unlikely that he or she would target bags designed to foil or at least slow down a thief.

I use luggage locks, too, not because someone can’t break them but because I’d rather he or she move on to a bag without a lock.

>SNIP<

What a ghastly thought :eek: but likely a valid point. Ugh, I am shivering just thinking about it :(

:oI love my Michael Kors signature crossover, but more because I like the colour and the functionality of it. Nice safe, deep front pocket that snaps shut.

Quote Sapper.... OK, there might have been a Coach wallet tucked inside out of sight. :)

.... and the Coach purses (yes, plural), back on the ship, LOL! Coach in Galleria rolls out the red carpet when they see you coming.:D

Cow Princess - I know exactly which big city you are referring to. And don't forget the designer pet-carriers as well.

Good point -- functionality sometimes trumps aesthetics :) And if your MK bag isn't this season's model, there's a good chance I would like it, too! In all honesty, I have only just started searching for a new handbag, so maybe last's years styles also had the designers trying to out-do each other on size and noticeability (is that a word?) of the badges and logos. But to me, it seems like this year it may be an Olympic event :D

Coach? LOL on the red carpet for Sapper :) Oh Sapper1 do check out the Coach store on Burrard. Lovely staff, great selection. Am very pleased with the purchase I made there!

And they will gab your bag on Paris subway, cut it open, take $ or goods and throw bag on platform. Same with mens wallets. Then on to next train.I have seen it. Caught a guy with his hand in my front pants pocket there once.I was traveling alone of course.Evething was in my moneybelt.

Lots of women in Europe use designer handbags. If a thief wanted to steal one, I doubt they'd be targeting a Coach or Michael Kors (which are extremely cheap in price compared to Louis Vuitton, Prada, Chanel, etc. which can be seen all over Europe).

Pay attention to your surroundings and you'll be fine.

I also recommend the leather school in Florence. My budget didn't allow for a handbag from there but they were gorgeous!

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Naples...if you are in a taxi or are driving a rental car keep your bag down on the floor or in the center console area. There were a lot of smash and grabs at the few traffic lights that they pay attention to. So you don't want your bag where someone on a scotter can see it. This is especially important in taxis as the drivers like the windows dwn. Even on crowded public buses in July you'll rarely see an open window as many Italians still believe the'll catch a cold or worse from a breeze.

For those on a very tight budget but want to shop in Rome try the many stores on the Via ****onale. I got a great pair of heeled boots there once. Make sure you try on shoes and look at the shoes or purses carefully for good sewing and tacking. Skip any clothing made of cotton that does not specifically say mer cerized or pre-shrunk. They still do not preshrink most things so you could lose 2 or more sizes on the first wash even in old water.