Tendering warning

balf

Realistically, what's likely to happen is that passengers who are not wheelchair users but possibly elderly and a little shaky or with other problems of balance or weakness, will not declare for fear of not being able to board tenders. The same happens with those who embark hiding sickness which often brings Noro on board.

Cunard must hate tendering, but as the captain says, "safety of passengers and crew is our upmost priority". Not an easy task when some passengers are so determined to get ashore they will risk boarding come what may.

David.

David, yes, I suppose there will be those who continue to use tenders despite the risk. And then there will be those who will be very cautious and remain on board at tender ports. There will be a another group who will decide not to book a voyage that involves x number of tender ports...and so it goes.

But your thread increased awareness of the risks associated with tendering, and come what may, that is all to the good so, thank you.

-S.

Edited by Salacia

• 2 weeks later...

I believe this is new information (at least it is to me)...https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/on-shore/ACC_Port

Kudos to Cunard, and an added tribute to Mrs. Atherton, may she rest in peace. -S.

Edited by Salacia

I believe this is new information (at least it is to me)...https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/on-shore/ACC_Port

Kudos to Cunard, and an added tribute to Mrs. Atherton, may she rest in peace. -S.

If you click through to the PDF, it deals with tidal variation at berthing ports (and the resultant variation in slope of the gangplank) and the wheelchair accessibility of the port area itself. Tender ports are just labeled "Tender" and probably wouldn't ordinarily be accessible to full-time wheelchair users.

If you click through to the PDF, it deals with tidal variation at berthing ports (and the resultant variation in slope of the gangplank) and the wheelchair accessibility of the port area itself. Tender ports are just labeled "Tender" and probably wouldn't ordinarily be accessible to full-time wheelchair users.

Hi Underwatr. Thank you for pointing out that the slope of the gangplank at anchor ports is a different issue from tendering - I should have realize that, but I didn't.:o <---Salacia

Having been a Cabin Service Director on Longhaul routes for British Airways for 39 years, we always asked our passengers "needing assistance" to wait till last. And that goes for emergencies as well. That way, the aisles etc are clear and the crew can give their full attention to the passenger. I don't see why this shouldn't be the case on a tender. People with mobility problems should not sit in the doorways either. Hope this maybe explains a little

Thank you very much for highlighting this very common sense procedure.

Has any wheelchair user who wished to go ashore ever been refused? I've seen many times crew members hauling chairs and passengers up some very steep gangplanks.

David.

Has any wheelchair user who wished to go ashore ever been refused? I've seen many times crew members hauling chairs and passengers up some very steep gangplanks.

David.

I've received a letter on board QV in advance of a tender port (Gerainger Fjord) May 2011 telling me that I would not be allowed to tender as per Captain's decision. It was like a mill pond. Next year, on QV again, I was allowed to tender in Norway with no issues raised.

So, policy was already inconsistent and will no doubt get worse after this tragedy.

As for gangplanks and tidal ranges, I've done Bar Harbor, (on QE) which was easy peasy on leaving the ship but very, very steep on return, reflecting the port having the third biggest tidal range on the eastern seaboard. The crew were great getting me down the slope while I held on to the gangplank handrails.