Best Credit Card for international travel

JazzyLover14

Its a good idea to let you credit card company know whenever you are out of the county and tell them where you'll be. You can ask them about a card with a chip.

Once buying gas for our motor home, the Texaco card was denied because we held 90 gallons and they couldn't see putting that much gas in a car. So I called them told them about the motor home, they put that somewhere and we never had problems getting gas again.

Need to apply for a credit card for use on my upcoming international cruise. Which bank offers the best transaction fees. Thanks

A quick google check can give you some examples. Personally, I also like a credit card that gives me back some type of award like air miles.

Need to apply for a credit card for use on my upcoming international cruise. Which bank offers the best transaction fees. Thanks

We use Capital One for international travel as they don't charge a fee for foreign currency transactions.

For international travel, the most important thing to pay attention to is what percentage the card charges for foreign transactions. (It's called a foreign transaction fee.) Some cards charge up to 3% per transaction.

I use a Capital One MasterCard with 0% foreign transaction fees.

Getting a true chip-and-pin card is still difficult in the US, and as of right now you will only run into problems if you need to use your card at an unmanned kiosk -- such as for tolls, parking fees, buying tickets, etc. Anywhere that has a human operator is supposed to be able to still run your card (although some will try to tell you otherwise.....)

Like Glacier, I'd suggest a Capital One card. Given the foreign currency transaction fees other cards charge, I doubt in most cases that any rewards they might offer would be sufficient compensation for what they'll be taking from you.The one drawback to Capital One is that they still don't offer a chip card. But when we traveled to Europe last summer, we found this to be only a slight inconvenience. Of course, there may be a better card for your particular needs, so do look around.

For international travel, the most important thing to pay attention to is what percentage the card charges for foreign transactions. (It's called a foreign transaction fee.) Some cards charge up to 3% per transaction.

I use a Capital One MasterCard with 0% foreign transaction fees.

Getting a true chip-and-pin card is still difficult in the US, and as of right now you will only run into problems if you need to use your card at an unmanned kiosk -- such as for tolls, parking fees, buying tickets, etc. Anywhere that has a human operator is supposed to be able to still run your card (although some will try to tell you otherwise.....)

Restaurants in England have refused to process cards without chips. It may be that the staff were either lazy or uninformed, but it has happened to us a couple of times.

Have just finished travel on AU,NZ,SoAfrica,So America and Europe. The minimum accepted card was a chip and sign. AU some venues only wanted chip and pin. I was able to persuade them to take my chip and sign with passport as ID. They said starting next year only chip and pin no matter what. Forget a card with only magnetic stripe. They will not be accepted. This happened to my son last month in Europe.

We got a travel rewards card from

BOA. Chip and no foreign transaction fees or annual fees Chip and sign. Will definitely get chip and pin for next trip out of country.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app