Grand turk

cruiseaholic777

I don't really see any point in an "excursion". The beach is right by your ship & there's no real "sight-seeing" on Grand Turk, which should perhaps be re-named "Tiny Turk" ;).

Snorkelling off that beach is very very poor, virtually nothing to see. In fact, other than an old cannon barrel & a very very few very ordinary fish there's nothing to see. Perhaps it's better elsewhere on the island, in which case a snorkelling trip on a boat might make sense.

For virtually everyone it's a lazy day on the beach.

Unexciting but relaxing, though it can get crowded when two ships are in.

nb - it's a "private" beach & the bars are as expensive as on the ship. And they charge 15% service on top. But if you walk a couple of hundred yards along the beach to your left, just outside the Carnival-controlled area, you'll find a couple of locals' shacks with a bucket of beer at almost half the cost.

JB :)

The port in Grand Turk was built just for cruise ships -only room for two at a rime. It is a small island, only 7 miles long. There is a beach right there on the left, with trees for shade, as you get off the ship. There is a free form pool with swim up bar and a bridge crossing the pool at one point. There is also a flow rider- that's surfing on land. We did it on Freedom Of Seas and had a ball. It is fun to watch if you're not doing it.

You can also rent a golf cart or jeep right outside entrance to the port. It was $40 all day for golf cart, $60 a day for jeep. You just have to have them back before the ship leaves! Then you can go into town and I think its Governor's Beach for snorkeling if you want to do that. To do this email Nathan Smith at Nathanandlinda@TClway,tc. or his phone numbers are

649-231-4856, his cell, or 649-946-1896. Sorry don't know the country code.

We want to do this but our cruises haven't been there all day and don't want to only do a 1/2 day. Our September cruise is only there from 7 to 2.

Edited by Bonnie J.

Snorkelling off that beach is very very poor, virtually nothing to see. In fact, other than an old cannon barrel & a very very few very ordinary fish there's nothing to see. Perhaps it's better elsewhere on the island, in which case a snorkelling trip on a boat might make sense.

JB :)

Having snorkeled many of the Caribbean ports, and GT twice, we have found superb snorkeling less than a mile north of the dock, on the "Wall". Again, some of the best in the Caribbean.

The port in Grand Turk was built just for cruise ships -only room for two at a rime. It is a small island, only 7 miles long. There is a beach right there on the left, with trees for shade, as you get off the ship. There is a free form pool with swim up bar and a bridge crossing the pool at one point. There is also a flow rider- that's surfing on land. We did it on Freedom Of Seas and had a ball. It is fun to watch if you're not doing it.

You can also rent a golf cart or jeep right outside entrance to the port. It was $40 all day for golf cart, $60 a day for jeep. You just have to have them back before the ship leaves! Then you can go into town and I think its Governor's Beach for snorkeling if you want to do that. To do this email Nathan Smith at Nathanandlinda@TClway,tc. or his phone numbers are

649-231-4856, his cell, or 649-946-1896. Sorry don't know the country code.

We want to do this but our cruises haven't been there all day and don't want to only do a 1/2 day. Our September cruise is only there from 7 to 2.

We absolutely loved the beach there, and could have made a very relaxing day of it (similar to a private island/beach experience).

We did rent golf carts from Nathan and rode all around the island, up to the lighthouse and back. There were lots of wild horses and flamingos! It was a lot of fun, and a very cool thing to do! But, it got VERY hot and we were overheated, so we ended up returning the carts early and going back to the beach.

You can rent a car, bike or whatever you like and take a little trip to the old town and the Light House (northern point of the island). They have some great vistas along the route. Don't get fooled thinking there's nothing to see in Grand Turk.

But whatever you do, make sure you got some time left to get some Jerk Chicken at Jack's Shack. The cook over there, Leroy, makes the best jerk chicken I've ever had.

Edited by headhunterke

Oh, I forgot to mention. Jack's Shack often has coupons on their website you need to print out and they'll give you a free shot of rum. You'll need to register on their site and they wil send you the coupon by e-mail when you've provided them with your info and the ship and date you'll be arriving on.

Wow has Nathan lowered his prices?? We have rented golf carts twice from him @ $80 a pop and the jeep we rented in Jan was $100 :eek:. We will be there again this Jan and I need to call him NOW if he has lowered his prices :D

Wow has Nathan lowered his prices?? We have rented golf carts twice from him @ $80 a pop and the jeep we rented in Jan was $100 :eek:. We will be there again this Jan and I need to call him NOW if he has lowered his prices :D

Maybe he lowered the prices just for summer when there are few ships sailing the Caribbean? Maybe not but worth checking to see if you can take advantage of the lower price. :)

We booked 3 carts from him (because we were 10 people) and he gave us a discounted rate. I believe it was $65 per cart. That was back in 2010