Oasis (Oct 14) or Adventure of the Seas (Nov 2nd) or Holland America (Nov 1st)

Slonik

So after I got the cruise fever, I had some friends inquire about advice on booking their own cruises. I am doing a transatlantic so they also got interested in the same type of cruise because it is so cheap compared to a one way plane ticket.

So here are the 3 cruises they are considering now:

Oasis leaving Rotterdam on Oct 14th for 13 nights and stopping only twice in Southampton and Vigo costing $1100 all in for 2 people (before gratuities)

Adventure of the Seas leaving Southampton on Nov 2nd for 14 nights and stopping 5 times in Funchal, Tenerife, St Maarten, St Kitts, and St Thomas, ending in San Juan in Peurto Rico for $1300 all in for 2 ppl before gratuities.

Holland America's Ryndam leaving from Barcelona on Nov 1st for 15 nights, stopping in Cartagena, Malaga, Cadiz (all spain) and then in Ponta Delgada, before arriving in Tampa in Florida for $1230 all in before gratuities.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

My vote would be between the Oasis or the Holland America.

Not sure where you call home, but the Adventure cruise is mostly Caribbean which seems like a wasted transatlantic in my opinion.

The Holland America looks like it has some amazing stops. But I agree with what Bob said, who knows if Oasis (or Oasis Class ships) going to Europe will be an ongoing thing.

Edited by CRUISEBOY305

Any concern about booking Oasis at such last minute resulting in many of the shows and entertainment being all booked up on online reservations? Since it's such a huge ship, I heard you need to reserve all shows or you will miss out?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oasis, as it's a very rare event to sail a TA on her, she only does 7 night cruises in the Caribbean (normally). And we are actually on the TA coming back from Southampton.

The only thing to keep in mind is that all the renovations and construction will not be finished. They were doing some work on the way over, and throughout her few Europe sailings, and there will be work going on during the sail back to the States. I don't know how much, but there will be some. So - you have to decide if that matters to you or not, the idea that some venues may not be fully up to snuff or even open for that matter.

Otherwise, Adventure would be the choice as A) it's royal, and B) it has stops both at front and back end, so a little of both Europe and Caribbean.

Holland wouldn't make my list at all. Celebrity or Princess would take Holland hands down, if we didn't cruise Royal.

Enjoy, whichever you choose.

Ok, odd man out here .. I would pick Adventure .. love the ship and love those ports.

Still not a fan of Oasis class ships.

Have sailed Ryndam and definitely wouldn't want to do a transatlantic on her .. although the service and food were the best we have had yet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Any concern about booking Oasis at such last minute resulting in many of the shows and entertainment being all booked up on online reservations? Since it's such a huge ship, I heard you need to reserve all shows or you will miss out?

That is the other consideration. Show booking has been difficult to say the least, as they are changing the shows. Cats has only released two showings, both at the end of the sailing. Whether they will be totally booked up is anyone's guess as those sailing from Southampton can't book them online, we have to call or wait till we're onboard. And a LOT are waiting till onboard. Other shows will be tweaked also, and show times on the Eastbound TA changed a lot, so even with reservations, people were having to queue for the show. Same goes with specialty and MTD dining - reservations have been very difficult to get, as restaurants are being redone too......so, again, depends on whether you want that kind of experience/hassle or if you would have a more traditional TA on a more established route.

No, they make sure there is an opportunity for everyone to see a show that wants to.

Reserving makes it easier, but not strictly necessary. There is always standby for smaller venues like comedy club or ice rink shows; for main theatre and aqua theatre you really shouldn't have much of an issue at all.

Hadley just blogged from the Oasis TA westbound

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.fi/2014/09/oasis-of-seas-transatlantic-part-4.html