Where do you recommend to stay in Miami the night before the cruise?

kg66

We are sailing The Jewel March 19, 2006 and are flying into Miami on March 18, where do you recommend to stay? Is there a hotel at the airport or the pier? Thanks for any info!

Kathy :p

There are tons of places (reasonable too) to stay in the general area of Miami. The key is to find one that can give you a transfer from the airport AND the cruise terminal the next day. I believe the Marriot and Radisson do this, as well as many others.

When we last sailed out of Miami. we stayed in Ft. Lauderdale and took the SuperShuttle from the hotel to the cruise pier for about 20 bucks.

We stayed at the Red Roof Inn Miami Airport the night before our cruise. We got in late like 10pm and so didn't want to spend much money on a hotel,taxi, shuttle, etc.

It was $80 on Expedia. I tryed Priceline and Hotwire for several months looking for a good deal on a nicer hotel but had no luck with anything reasonable.

The Red Roof is rated a 2 star and that is where I would also appropriately rate it. It is not fancy at all and is located practically on the airport runway. You can see the runways from the rooms! Even though it was so close to the airport there was no airport noise in the rooms.

This hotel has FREE shuttle from the airport and FREE shuttle to the port the next morning. Before staying somewhere else, figure out what this will cost you because I think the normal going rate is $8 or $9 per person. For our family of four I was willing to stay at a lower level airport hotel to save the shuttle price.

The rooms are your basic hotel room but have been renovated recently. The picture on the Red Roof Inn website is exactly what our room looked like right down to the paint color on the walls. It has some upgrade features like nice artwork in the room and bathroom and a granite countertop. Other than that, the room is basic, basic.

The pool are was pretty nice also. My small children enjoyed swimming on Saturday morning before heading out to the port. The pool is landscaped nicely but it is loud being outside so close to the airport. We didn't mind though because we were outside in the sunshine and the kids were happily playing in the pool. The pool is unheated but by this time of year it will be fine. It wasn't too bad in early March and it continues to warm up everyday.

They offer a free and simple continental breakfast. Muffins, coffee and juice. They have a simple landscaped outdoor area to eat breakfast overlooking the pool.

If you want cheap and simple this is the place. If you need someone to help you with your luggage and if you need a bellman to help you open the door then this isn't the place for you.

This hotel seemed to attract a lot of cruisers because on Saturday morning they ended up running three shuttles to the port. They called our room and asked if we would be willing to head out to the port early at 11am. We said OK because we were anxious to get to the ship to check out our penthouse suite!

They have signs posted around the hotel with the times the shuttle heads to the port. Be sure to check in with the front desk and get your name on the list and if you want, volunteer for the earlier shuttle if they need to run several.

The hotel isn't great but I wasn't looking for a resort. Our room was clean, I felt safe and it was reasonable considering the shuttle service was included. Have a great cruise.

I just got out my NCL 2005-06 book, and the 7 day exotic western leaves Miami Sun March 19/06, returning March 26 to Miami. Where did you see it, so I'm sure? Thanks, Kathy

I just got out my NCL 2005-06 book, and the 7 day exotic western leaves Miami Sun March 19/06, returning March 26 to Miami. Where did you see it, so I'm sure? Thanks, Kathy

Other poster means Jewel of the Seas, a Royal Caribbean ship.

Jimbo:)

You could check out any of the hotels near Biscayne Bay or Bayside Marketplace in Miami. The Holiday Inn, Marriott, Hilton, and the Sheraton hotels are all located in these areas. It is about a 10 minute taxi ride to the pier from the Biscayne Bay and Bayside areas. Some hotels offer shuttles to the piers, but you have to call and ask. I believe that a taxi fare from Bayside to the pier is about $8 and from Biscayne about $10. This was last year so things may have change.

Staying near Bayside Marketplace is neat for anyone who is coming a day before the cruise. There are restaurants and many little shopping stores. You could see the cruise ships at the piers if you stay in a hotel near Bayside. Bayside is just across the bridge from the pier. There is also a free metro mover that will take you to other locations in downtown Miami.

I have stayed at the Sheraton Biscayne Bay and enjoyed my stay there. There is a restaurant, pool, exercise room, and other great facilities there. The concierge will assist you with a taxi and other local information.

Just check out the different hotels near Bayside & Biscayne to see which one is in your price range and which one meets your standards.;) Expedia, Hotel.com, and sometimes the hotel's website offers lower rates.

If your flying in late (after 8pm), then it is best to stay at a hotel near the airport and take a shuttle or taxi to the port the next morning.

hey trent its me again i was questioning you on the south beach marroitt well it opened up now i have to decide on that or marroitt oceanfront 3925 collins for 269 or south beach marrott for 369 is it worth it to change to the south beach marroitt. i heard traffic is a biggie but is it closer to south beach and nicer for 100 savings thanks again sharon;)

Traffic is very heavy in the 39th Avenue area of Miami Beach and it is actually called Mid Beach.

The South Beach Marriott is oceanfront in an area called SoFi for South of Fifth Avenue in South Beach. There is some construction going on in the area but it really isn't a big deal.

I would stay in South Beach instead of Mid Beach. You can walk to so much and there is so much more to do. You do not need a car in South Beach but you will need one in Mid Beach.

Yeah, everything BlueHerons said is correct. Traffic, especially on weekends can be quite bad as South Beach is a very crowded place on weekends. It would be a pretty long walk from 39th & Collins to the areas you would enjoy, and if you take a taxi you'll spend a fair amount of time sitting in it getting in and out of South Beach in the afternoon & evenings on weekends. If you stayed at the South Beach Marriott you can walk to the all areas you would want to see. The South Beach Marriott is a nice place, it's only a few years old and directly ON the beach.

All I can do is tell you that *I* would prefer to stay at the South Beach Marriott rather than the other one so I could walk to the "fun" areas of SoBe without having to mess with taxis or a car. But it's up to you if you want to spend the extra money.

We stayed that the Mariott Biscayne Bay and loved our stay. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. They have a van that goes to and from Bayside on a regular schedule, I think it was $1.00 a person. They also have a van to the port that you can sign up for, I think it was $6.00 a couple. Very nice hotel and we will stay there again. We got our reservation through Priceline for $37.00 a night this past December.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn both before and after our cruise and enjoyed it. There is a mall within walking distance with excellent restaurants and shops. Good value, clean room, and you can see your ship in the harbour from your windows. Free newspaper.

• 2 weeks later...

We are driving to Miami for our July 31 2005 cruise on the Victory. We want to know a cheap hotel that has free shuttle service to the port and has free parking while we are cruising.

Archived