Are we making a mistake?

IDsailor

We have booked a cruise that ends in Sydney on Aug 2nd. We want to seem more of Australia as we have never been there. Being winter in the southern hemisphere is it a good time to see sights such as Ayers rock and the Great barrier reef?

We flew into Sydney on Aug 13, spent a couple of days, then flew to Perth, where we got on a cruise ship on Aug 20th, and sailed around the "north end". It was a little cool in Sydney and Perth (upper 50s and lower 60s), and we had a few showers for a couple of hours in each city. After that, the cruise around the top was warm to hot, and humid. Great Barrier Reef was warm. It was great.

You can do an internet search for weather history in a couple of your ports for the factual data.

No, it is not a mistake.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I used to live in Australia and I can confirm that August is in the middle of the prime time for visiting the GBR (warm, dry weather and no stingers). It's also a good time to visit Uluru because the daytime temperatures are mild--not unbearably hot like summer--and the flies are at a minimum.

I used to live in Australia and I can confirm that August is in the middle of the prime time for visiting the GBR (warm, dry weather and no stingers). It's also a good time to visit Uluru because the daytime temperatures are mild--not unbearably hot like summer--and the flies are at a minimum.

Yep August is a good time for both.

August is an excellent time to come to Cairns. There are no stingers (jellyfish) and the water is still warm. We are just coming to the end of the wet season, although we haven't had nearly enough rain. I just love winter, no humidity but you still live in shorts and t-shirts.

You haven't made a mistake, hop on a plane and come up here, it's well worth visiting for as long as you can.... there is much more to see here than just the GBR. :D

Out of interest what cruise is that ?

By the OP signature, looks like Golden Princess LA to Sydney.

BTW Alice Springs/ Ularu will be very cold at night but mild in daytime. Still best time of year though.

Edited by cassamanda

August / September is ideal weather for Central Australia, coming into Spring .

GOLDEN PRINCESS is in Asia for the Australian winter of 2016, and returns from Hong Kong to its Summer base in Melbourne in November 2016 .

So no GP doing a Trans Pacific from Lax to Mel this year 2016 .

We are booked on the Golden Princess South Pacific Crossing leaving LA on July 7, 2017.

Which is a sector of the 2017 Circle Pacific cruise. :D

I agree with the rest, August is the perfect time to go up to Far North Queensland.

By the OP signature, looks like Golden Princess LA to Sydney.

BTW Alice Springs/ Ularu will be very cold at night but mild in daytime. Still best time of year though.

Agree with all the comments about being the best time of year to visit the North and Centre. Good advice to be prepared for the cold at night in the Centre (with winter beanies, gloves and scarves, if you plan to be outside at night to see the stars and the rock at Uluru).