Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > MSC Cruises
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

MSC Cruises
Read hundreds of MSC Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best MSC Cruise Deals.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old July 9th, 2013, 12:25 PM
spandance's Avatar
spandance spandance is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Javea Spain
Posts: 159
Default

I sent an e mail to MSC to ask if they thought the 10am train was not going to be feasible and they answered me back in one day and suggested I booked one after 12pm and stayed on board and have lunch and then go without having to rush! Brilliant, I was so pleased as it means I can book my train ticket back to Valencia from Barcelona at a great special deal!! roll on September
__________________
NCL Sky October 2003
NCL Dawn Nov 2004
NCL Dawn Oct 2005
Ncl Jewel April 2006
NCL Jewel Nov 2006
Sea Princess Jan 2007
RCI Legend of the Seas December 2008
Norwegian Dawn Feb 2008
Norwegian Gem May 2008

RCI Voyager of the Seas August 2008
NCL Gem November 2008
NCL Gem December 2008
RCI Brilliance of the Seas March/ April 2009

NCL Gem September 2009
Ncl Gem October 2010
RCI Splendour of the seas Oct 2010
NCL Jade April 2011
Costa Concordia May 31st
Ncl Epic Sept 4th
Celebrity Solstice October 11th
NCL Jade Feb 27th

NCL Epic June 17th
NCL Epic October 21st Transatlantic

holland america Noordam Nov 5th 2012
Spendour of the seas Dec 10th 2012
Ncl Epic June 9th 2013




Reply With Quote

  #22  
Old July 9th, 2013, 01:36 PM
maryann2's Avatar
maryann2 maryann2 is online now
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 3,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvesgirl View Post
Thanks, this is helpful, Maryann2. Was the difference significant (if you don't mind me asking)?
I think it was 30 euros so quite a bit. Would not normally have spent it but this was February in Venice and snowing. Not much fun hanging around the station. The online advance price was good though. It did mean I arrived in Rome and then Civitavecchia in daylight. The train was full even in February.
Reply With Quote

  #23  
Old July 9th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Skipper Tim's Avatar
Skipper Tim Skipper Tim is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Yorkshire, UK and Messenia, Greece
Posts: 2,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvesgirl View Post
After thinking about it...Follow up, probably silly questions. Do they let the disembarking passengers off before the other passengers? If we don't go to the muster station, how do we know they are letting us off?
They will let you off anytime. The mustering is to try to make you feel that you have not queued an hour or more to get off. The line will prefer disembarking passengers to get off first to maximise cabin turnaround time for their staff. In short, if you want to get off early, just join the queue to the exit.
__________________
Tim.

Now Sailing
Cunard Queen Mary 2: Southampton, England - New York, USA, Dec 2014 LIVE BLOG

Sailed
Sailing Yacht "Thassos"': Lefkas, Greece - Kalamata, Greece, 24th August 2014 - 7th September, 2014 live blog
MSC Opera: Southampton, UK - Amsterdam, Holland (1 night), May 2014 roll call
MSC Armonia: Las Palmas, Gran Canaria - Venice, Italy (11 nights), March 2014 live blog
MSC Fantasia: Santos, Brazil - Venice, Italy (17 nights), March 2013 live blog
MSC Musica: Venice, Italy - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (16 nights), November 2012 live blog
RCI Grandeur of the Seas: Palma, Mallorca - Colon, Panama (14 nights), October 2011
RCI Legend of the Seas: Singapore - India - Dubai - Oman - Gulf of Aden - Suez Canal - Rome, Italy (24 nights), May 2009
Cunard QE2: Southampton, England - New York, USA (5 nights), January 2006

Skipper Tim's guide to almost free flights for repositioning cruises
Reply With Quote

  #24  
Old July 9th, 2013, 02:43 PM
AmoMondo AmoMondo is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edinburgh UK
Posts: 7,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Tim View Post
They will let you off anytime. The mustering is to try to make you feel that you have not queued an hour or more to get off. The line will prefer disembarking passengers to get off first to maximise cabin turnaround time for their staff. In short, if you want to get off early, just join the queue to the exit.
This will only work if you either have an early disembarkation slot or are keeping your luggage with you.

When I got off the Sinfonia in May, I was in a group around the middle. When I got to the baggage hall to get my vase, they were still unloading the flour after mine and hadn't even stated on the later colour groups.
__________________




MSC Armonia - Las palmas to Venice - Mar 14
Costa Fortuna - Arabian Gulf - jan 14
MSC Musica - Eastern Med & Black Sea - Oct 13
MSC Orchestra - Western Med - Aug 13
MSC Sinfonia - Western Med - May 13
Costa Atlantica - Arabian Gulf - Mar 13
MSC Musica - Greek Isles - Sept 12
MSC Opera - Buenos Aires to Southampton Apr 12
Costa Favolosa - Arabian Gulf - Jan 12
MSC Orchestra - Western Med - Oct 11
Costa Romantica - Indian Ocean - Jan 11
MSC Musica - Venice to Rio - Nov 10
MSC Melody - Med & Black Sea - Jul 10
MSC Sinfonia - Livorno to Durban - Oct-Nov 09
MSC Fantasia - Western Med - Apr 09
MSC Lirica - Dover to Genoa - Sept 08
MSC Lirica - Transatlantic (Fort Lauderdale - Dover) - Mar-Apr 08
MSC Opera - Eastern Med - Sep 07
MSC Opera - - Jul 07
MSC Opera - Eastern & Southern Caribbean - Jan 07
MSC Opera - Western Med - May 06
MSC Opera - Transatlantic (Genoa - Fort Lauderdale) Dec 05-Jan 06
MSC Opera - Eastern Med - Jun 05
Reply With Quote

  #25  
Old July 9th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Juvesgirl Juvesgirl is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 211
Default Thanks, all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Tim View Post
They will let you off anytime. The mustering is to try to make you feel that you have not queued an hour or more to get off. The line will prefer disembarking passengers to get off first to maximise cabin turnaround time for their staff. In short, if you want to get off early, just join the queue to the exit.
Thanks, Skipper Tim, this helps a lot.

AmoMondo, we will keep our luggage with us and (per Skipper Tim's earlier advice) request an early disembarkation time.

Maryann2, thanks for this info. I just checked and none of the trains I want to purchase tickets for on TrenItalia allow you to purchase more than 7 days in advance. Two of the trains I want to take are more than 7 days after I arrive and I am not sure if I will have access to internet/computer/printer. Hopefully the tickets won't be that expensive day of!

Thanks all for everyone's advice!
Reply With Quote

  #26  
Old July 11th, 2013, 09:47 AM
sthelder sthelder is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvesgirl View Post
Thanks, Skipper Tim, this helps a lot.

AmoMondo, we will keep our luggage with us and (per Skipper Tim's earlier advice) request an early disembarkation time.

Maryann2, thanks for this info. I just checked and none of the trains I want to purchase tickets for on TrenItalia allow you to purchase more than 7 days in advance. Two of the trains I want to take are more than 7 days after I arrive and I am not sure if I will have access to internet/computer/printer. Hopefully the tickets won't be that expensive day of!

Thanks all for everyone's advice!
If you do plan to leave ship at the earliest opportunity, remember to double check with the receptionist the day before to ensure they do give you the earlier disembarkation.

In April, I requested for early disembarkation two days in advance, the receptionist took out a log book and said she will register our cabin number for "priority disembarkation" and I could collect back our passports earlier.

But when the luggage tag came the night before, it was the "regular" colour and when I went to the reception to check, the same receptionist told me I wasn't booked in her log book...luckily we still made our connecting train despite have to follow the masses.

Btw, we didn't go to our disembarkation muster station, after having breakfast at the buffet, we went straight to disembark without any problem.
Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old July 11th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Juvesgirl Juvesgirl is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthelder View Post
If you do plan to leave ship at the earliest opportunity, remember to double check with the receptionist the day before to ensure they do give you the earlier disembarkation.

In April, I requested for early disembarkation two days in advance, the receptionist took out a log book and said she will register our cabin number for "priority disembarkation" and I could collect back our passports earlier.

But when the luggage tag came the night before, it was the "regular" colour and when I went to the reception to check, the same receptionist told me I wasn't booked in her log book...luckily we still made our connecting train despite have to follow the masses.

Btw, we didn't go to our disembarkation muster station, after having breakfast at the buffet, we went straight to disembark without any problem.
Thanks, these suggestions are really helpful. I was going to ask for the early disembarkation early, but it seems that it is better to ask the day before we get off - I appreciate the advice! Also, thanks for reinforcing Skipper Tim's advice that mustering is not necessary
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:20 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.