Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Orient Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old September 8th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Marco Polo Facilities

As this will be our first time on the Marco Polo, and we will be on board for 39 nights, ( Athens to Copenhagen 2007 ), could somebody please let us know about the laundry facilities. I understand from these boards that there is no self serve laundry on board, unlike other ships we have sailed on, but, do they have ironing facilities or do you bring a travelling iron with you. Smalls can be rinsed and hung in the bathrooms but what are the charges like for the laundry service on board. Our packing is somewhat dictated by the facilities on board, as well as the limit of 20kgs they allow you for luggage on flights from Australia, plus carry on. We can have 32kgs when we go to the States, so on the Sun Princess cruise, 32 nights will be no trouble. What have other past cruisers done? Thanks in anticipitation.
Sea Princess Alaska 2000 Sapphire Princess Asia 2005 Carnival Spirit Hawaii 2005 Carnival Spirit Alaska 2005 Pacific Princess China 2006 Vision of the Seas Mexico 2007 Marco Polo Med May2007 Marco Polo Rome June2007 Marco Polo Med July2007 Marco Polo London/Stockholm 2007 Sapphire Princess Asia 2007/2008 Sapphire Princess Asia/ N.Z. 2008 Sun Princess Asia 2008 Sun Princess Tahiti 2008 Sun Princess Aust 2008 Crown Princess The Med /Venice 2009 Crown Princess The Med 2009 Diamond Princess Asia 2009 Diamond Princess NZ 2010 Star Princess The Med 2011 Pacific Princess Rome/Venice 2011 Crown Princess British Isles 2011
Dawn Princess NZ 2011/2012
Sea Princess South Pacific 2014

Old September 10th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Sadly the answer is no they do not have ironing facilities and you would have to keep a travel iron quiet because I don't think you are supposed to use them from a fire risk. From what I remember from our last cruise they did have a cheaper ironing rate for first two days of the cruise, but generally I suppose laundry costs are quite dear. I cannot quote because we have never used them.

To be honest we no longer find this a problem. We have cruised a lot, and even on ships with a self service laundry I cannot be bothered to use it. Apart from our evening things all daytime wear is drip dry and non iron and we find that washing things at dinner time is quick - they are dry in the morning with the air conditioning in the bathroom. There is a small clothes line across the shower compartment. Take a couple of plastic hangers in your luggage (the ones in the cabin are wooden) to drip dry things.

Old September 10th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

I think most or all cruise lines forbid the use of an iron in the cabin.

You have a long trip and the ships own laundry could cost a fair bit over that time. Perhaps you could consider using a self serve laundry ashore on one or more of your port days, or pay for a port/town based laundry to "service" wash/launder for you while you sightsee. You could pick it up before travelling back to the ship. Its not ideal if you want to sightsee, but there may be some ports where you are overnighting or some which are of less interest to you than others and where you could find the time to do this.

Even if you can only wash and dry with each option above, the "ironing only" cost on MP would be less than it would be to have all the items laundered, dried and ironed. And not all of your items will need ironing if you choose some fabrics which need little or no ironing.

Old September 10th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Marco Polo Facilities

Thanks to both Edinburgher and Mancunian for your replies. Most of our clothes are wash and wear drip dry!!. It was convient to just bundle everything up and pop down to the laundry on our other cruises ( its amazing who you meet in those places ). We can get travelling irons that clip on to hair dryers that weigh next to nothing, but failing that we just go back to the old standby of hanging your clothes in the bathroom and turning the hot tap on to steam up the room. Close the door and all the creases and crinkles fall out. Pity that does not work on my face and body though. We will also remember to find a dry cleaner / laundry on shore on one of the smaller ports if needed as well. Please let us know if you think that there are any other tips that may help. Thanks again.

Robyn and Jeff ( batts )
Sea Princess Alaska 2000 Sapphire Princess Asia 2005 Carnival Spirit Hawaii 2005 Carnival Spirit Alaska 2005 Pacific Princess China 2006 Vision of the Seas Mexico 2007 Marco Polo Med May2007 Marco Polo Rome June2007 Marco Polo Med July2007 Marco Polo London/Stockholm 2007 Sapphire Princess Asia 2007/2008 Sapphire Princess Asia/ N.Z. 2008 Sun Princess Asia 2008 Sun Princess Tahiti 2008 Sun Princess Aust 2008 Crown Princess The Med /Venice 2009 Crown Princess The Med 2009 Diamond Princess Asia 2009 Diamond Princess NZ 2010 Star Princess The Med 2011 Pacific Princess Rome/Venice 2011 Crown Princess British Isles 2011

Old September 10th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was on the reunion cruise in March and April, a 30 day cruise. I figure after spending all that money on the cruise I am not going to spend my time washing stuff out. I just send them to the laundry. I think it cost about $50 for the whole trip. That is less than $2.00 per day and as far as I am concerned well worth it.

Old September 13th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default I'm trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by batts
Please let us know if you think that there are any other tips that may help. Thanks again.

Robyn and Jeff ( batts )
I have heard on these boards that Downy wrinkle release spray is very effective. I bought a bottle to bring on our cruise. It's a pump not aerosol.

Old September 13th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Is that the magic spray that people use on their face and body to get rid of wrinkles. Only kidding. Thanks for the thumbs up. The cost of laundry facilities is not a problem to us but we got used to self serve laundries on our other cruises.

jeff and robyn ( batts )