New Cruiser with a wheelchair

Shogun

All,

Friend wants to go on a cruise, has visited a Princess cruise ship, seen the cabins etc and it very pleased with what he has seen,

whats to go anywhere in Med or Northern Europe,

Issues are no flying, OK cruise from Southampton,

Now he has to use a powered scooter, can not do much distance in a wheel chair by himself, his DW can get about but not any help as a pusher,

problem is he has travelled before accident, has seen the cobble stone streets high kerbs etc of many places he would love to see again but says he will not risk it,

he has chatted to folks in his tour group as they tour around UK, who have had cruises, but none have said anything good about tours, often they get a vehicle with a ramp or a place for a wheel chair they go to a place the bus unloads and they are stuck going around the car park or up one or two streets as the group head off up steps etc,

so folks I would like to hear from anyone that has been on a tour that they would do again, I would like to try and put a list together of wheel chair friendly tours or places to visit,

the best advise I have been able to come up with is to book a private taxi company that can take a scooter in each port and get them to take him around,

yours Shogun

Using google type "accessible" city name, such as "accessible venice" and you will get a wealth of information. The main problem will be getting to the sites. I have found it ever so much easier to reach the places I want to visit if I use private guides. There are no steps up into a tour bus in a limo or taxi. I have found travel to be worth the challenges even going to such places as St. Petersburg. Barcelona was the easiest in Europe for me.

Hi there my wife is the wheelchair user and on our first cruise to the canaries from southampton we opted to take her electric chair which as small wheels and thinking it would be a break for me from pushing her, while it was great on the ship our problems were off the ship not many dropped pavements very high kerbs, cobbled streets and very poor access in public places, I am afraid you will face the same problems if using a scooter..so from now on will be taking the self propelled chair.

All the best

Jason

Ps. You can hire one of the many taxis waiting on the port for a private tour but we found there was no room to put wheelchair..

Archived