Brooklyn Hotels

timetravler

We will be doing a New England cruise this October leaving out of NYC. We will be leaving from Brooklyn(Princess cruise). Anyways I would like some suggestions for a hotel in Brooklyn. We plan to arrive in NYC 2 days before our cruise and take a subway to Manhattan and a HOHO bus around NYC. Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, I do not need a 4 or 5 star hotel but something less then $300 a night would be fine for us.

If you desire a nicer hotel consider the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge. The staff have been wonderful when we've stayed there and the hotel has all the amenities. Their breakfast buffet is wonderful. It may cost a little more based on the time of year but it is all worth it! :) My opinion, of course!

I am thinking about staying at the La Quinta in Brooklyn. We get points for staying at La Quinta and it is only 1 mile from the port. We will use a car service or a taxi to get to the port and use the subway to get to Manhattan. However if anyone has some better ideas, let me know.

Just know the neighborhood not the hotel.

Do note if you are taking the R train which runs underground at 4th ave at its 9th street stop you have to be on the correct side of the street for Manhattan Service. The F and G train (though G does not go into Manhattan) is running on the elevated at 4th Ave.

Up 9th street from 4th ave is a McDonald's just refurbished, little further on 5th you will fine chain drug stores (forget which).

FWIW

Just know the neighborhood not the hotel.

Do note if you are taking the R train which runs underground at 4th ave at its 9th street stop you have to be on the correct side of the street for Manhattan Service. The F and G train (though G does not go into Manhattan) is running on the elevated at 4th Ave.

Up 9th street from 4th ave is a McDonald's just refurbished, little further on 5th you will fine chain drug stores (forget which).

FWIW

WOW thanks for this info. This will be very helpful for us.

Just found out that the ONLY time Princess sails out of Manhattan is when more then one Princess ship is in port at the same time. On my cruise in October 2015, no other Princess ship is in port. So things are coming together nicely.

Princess also could cruise out of Manhattan if Cunard has a ship in port that day. For example, on this official port schedule, on 10/11 the QM2 is listed as being docked in Brooklyn and the Caribbean Princess in Manhattan:

http://www.nycruise.com/content/uploads/2014/10/NYCruise-2015-Schedulev2.pdf

BUT...this version of the schedule from the same official site shows both ships as TBD on 10/11. http://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

So...you really need to make sure, because even the official port website can have errors or omissions .

Edited by njhorseman

Princess also could cruise out of Manhattan if Cunard has a ship in port that day. For example, on this official port schedule, on 10/11 the QM2 is listed as being docked in Brooklyn and the Caribbean Princess in Manhattan:

http://www.nycruise.com/content/uploads/2014/10/NYCruise-2015-Schedulev2.pdf

BUT...this version of the schedule from the same official site shows both ships as TBD on 10/11. http://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

So...you really need to make sure, because even the official port website can have errors or omissions .

This was good info, so I checked on the Regal Princess for Oct. 17th and it does show this ship leaving from Brooklyn. Seeing that was a relief as Now I can totally get on with my hotel pick in Brooklyn.