San Francisco May from noon overnight at the ship

fvandewouwer

Hi,

cruise to Vancouver from San Diego, will visit San Francisco and stay the night on the ship

have been to SF about 16 years ago, so excited to come back

will it be worth to buy the hoho ticket dynamite 48 hours ( price 50 usd pp ) it has a lot included

http://eng.bigbustours.com/sanfrancisco/dynamite-ticket.html

and it seems if I am correct that the cruise port is not direct walkable into the city

Mon 18 May SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA 12:00PM 0:00AM Docked

Tue 19 May SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA 0:00AM 5:00PM Docked

thank you for your help

have a wonderful day

from Belgium

Frie

The cruise ship terminal is in the middle of town, with lots of public transit right there. However the town is large, not all of the sights are close by.

Doing the Hop on Hop off the first afternoon is a good idea, then you can decide what you want to do on the second day, if you want to focus on any particular area.

I would suggest some reading on the board. There are suggestions of visiting Alcatraz, or the wine country, or a variety of other locations. A guidebook and a map would be helpful.

thanks for your response, ok really did read that the terminal was outside the city and one needed a but to go into the city

so glad that is not the truth

we have visited Alcatraz which we found very interesting

I still do have a map of our first visit of 16 years ago ( china town, fisherman's warf ... )

sausalito i cannot remember anymore

anything changed that we need to visit now

wine country i really need to check out

thanks for your help

Frie

The cruise ship terminal is in the middle of town, with lots of public transit right there. However the town is large, not all of the sights are close by.

Doing the Hop on Hop off the first afternoon is a good idea, then you can decide what you want to do on the second day, if you want to focus on any particular area.

I would suggest some reading on the board. There are suggestions of visiting Alcatraz, or the wine country, or a variety of other locations. A guidebook and a map would be helpful.

thanks for your response, ok really did read that the terminal was outside the city and one needed a but to go into the city

so glad that is not the truth

we have visited Alcatraz which we found very interesting

I still do have a map of our first visit of 16 years ago ( china town, fisherman's warf ... )

sausalito i cannot remember anymore

anything changed that we need to visit now

wine country i really need to check out

thanks for your help

Frie

We did the grand last year and did the overnight thing in San Fran. Feel free to ask us anything would be glad to help

BCCruisingcouple also thank you for your reply, it would have been easy to book the bus trip but I agree it is not always convenient due to traffic but that is the same case for a taxi, no ?

what did you do on your cruise in SF ? something fun you did during the evening ?

still need a lot to read and we leave within a month ( first part is the panama cruise ) so get a bit nervous

I see you are from Vancouver, also am checking that out, also so much to see and to do ( we stay 3 nights before going back home )

thank you all for your time

best regards from Belgium

We did the grand last year and did the overnight thing in San Fran. Feel free to ask us anything would be glad to help

My favorite thing to do in the evening is to go see Beach Blanket Babylon. You would need to take a taxi there but it isn't too far from the port so a taxi would not cost much. Anyways this show has been going on for like 40 years but changes to fit the time period every so often. You'll laugh all through out the performance. You will see in the show characters like Bill and Hillary, Elvis, the pope, Obama, Snow White, Romney and many many more. It is a bit political but both Republicans and Democrats will laugh. No one is safe from jokes.

Check their schedule to see if it is playing while you are in SF. Get tickets in advance as this play always sells out.

that show was on my list but they do not run on Monday

:(

any other ideas ?

My favorite thing to do in the evening is to go see Beach Blanket Babylon. You would need to take a taxi there but it isn't too far from the port so a taxi would not cost much. Anyways this show has been going on for like 40 years but changes to fit the time period every so often. You'll laugh all through out the performance. You will see in the show characters like Bill and Hillary, Elvis, the pope, Obama, Snow White, Romney and many many more. It is a bit political but both Republicans and Democrats will laugh. No one is safe from jokes.

Check their schedule to see if it is playing while you are in SF. Get tickets in advance as this play always sells out.

Ah, that's too bad. Sorry, I don't have any great ideas for nighttime activities other then going to a restaurant. My fav restaurants are Thanh Long at 4101 Judah for their garlic crab and noodles and La Taquera on Mission. La Taquera claim to have the BEST Burrito's ever and I agree.

thanks we are no restaurant people, seem so strange, as every time we cruise we often do that from the US so mostly we meet US citizen and we became very fond of them there is one very strange difference between European cruisers and the US cruisers, we find it a waste of time going to a restaurant somewhere far away from home as we could use that time exploring and wondering around That is not meant to be critical as we also enjoy a strange dish if we travel for ex to Puerto Rico and stay there for 3 weeks then it is normal that we eat local, your food seems very similar as ours ( except for the chocolate and waffles and fries and beer and .....:) )

but we do enjoy garlic crab with noodles or burrito's ....

so thanks we never know we will end up in one of these restaurants

thanks

Ah, that's too bad. Sorry, I don't have any great ideas for nighttime activities other then going to a restaurant. My fav restaurants are Thanh Long at 4101 Judah for their garlic crab and noodles and La Taquera on Mission. La Taquera claim to have the BEST Burrito's ever and I agree.

there are plays, concerts, dance concerts, maybe even a giants ball game (check the schedule--even if not a baseball fan, the park is a fun experience)--and very american. the ball park is right down the road on public transport from the ship. take a night ferry...round trip from the ferry building. walk through chinatown. walk the labyrinth at night at grace cathedral on nob hill...again, go up by cable car. take taxi to top of twin peaks for a cool view if there is no fog.

walk across the golden gate bridge.. small music venues are all over.

check the local paper..sfgate.com for some information.

I am considering booking this trip for my mom. She is a first time cruiser and is a bit older. I have only cruise the caribbean. How is the water? Rough, smooth, lots of movement on the ship? Is the weather cool or warm? We're from Texas. Thanks.

I am considering booking this trip for my mom. She is a first time cruiser and is a bit older. I have only cruise the caribbean. How is the water? Rough, smooth, lots of movement on the ship? Is the weather cool or warm? We're from Texas. Thanks.

We did hit some bad seas enough that the Captain slowed the boat down and we were late into San Fran and Vancouver. There was a lot of people in there cabins riding it out.

guess we are not lucky as we also checked the Giants game on May 18 no games, none and we also wanted to go to a baseball game as we have never seen one...

Hope we ever can return to SF and see a game as that is also on my bucket list

thanks for the other ideas

the big bus has a night tour ... husband is not so fond of big bus tours so

still not sure if we buy a ticket

will decide whenever we are there, depending the weather, we love to walk

and who knows I try to learn your public transport system and buy a Muni Pass luckily we still have a little time to prepare

thanks a lot :)

there are plays, concerts, dance concerts, maybe even a giants ball game (check the schedule--even if not a baseball fan, the park is a fun experience)--and very american. the ball park is right down the road on public transport from the ship. take a night ferry...round trip from the ferry building. walk through chinatown. walk the labyrinth at night at grace cathedral on nob hill...again, go up by cable car. take taxi to top of twin peaks for a cool view if there is no fog.

walk across the golden gate bridge.. small music venues are all over.

check the local paper..sfgate.com for some information.

guess we are not lucky as we also checked the Giants game on May 18 no games, none and we also wanted to go to a baseball game as we have never seen one...

Hope we ever can return to SF and see a game as that is also on my bucket list

thanks for the other ideas

the big bus has a night tour ... husband is not so fond of big bus tours so

still not sure if we buy a ticket

will decide whenever we are there, depending the weather, we love to walk

and who knows I try to learn your public transport system and buy a Muni Pass luckily we still have a little time to prepare

thanks a lot :)

We did the big bus tour when we were there with our 3 year old and had a good time. Got to see lots of stuff and you can hop on and off at locations of your liking which is great and the street cars are also fun.

would not expect that having bad seas from SF to Vancouver

anyhow I am so lucky never to get seasick but hope we have some good

weather

We did hit some bad seas enough that the Captain slowed the boat down and we were late into San Fran and Vancouver. There was a lot of people in there cabins riding it out.

I too was on a Vancouver to SF trip.... boat was like 2 or 3 hours late pulling in the rough exposed Pacific waters.

• Walking was kinda difficult.
  • Sleeping was rocky.
  • Dining was interesting watching the waves covering the window horizon. I still remember the ship tilting to one side and dishes can be heard crashing to the ground during lunch!

Telling the captain to slow down is pointless.

Edited by xlxo

sounds interesting :eek:

when was that ??? which month ??

I too was on a Vancouver to SF trip.... boat was like 2 or 3 hours late pulling in the rough exposed Pacific waters.

• Walking was kinda difficult.
  • Sleeping was rocky.
  • Dining was interesting watching the waves covering the window horizon. I still remember the ship tilting to one side and dishes can be heard crashing to the ground during lunch!

Telling the captain to slow down is pointless.

A friend of mine has taken a couple of Princess repos and tells me that it almost always gets a bit rocky somewhere parallel around the California - Oregon border...something to do with the Pacific storm track & jet stream. If you go to a weather site like weather.com and look up a Pacific Northwest satellite loop you'll can see the storm systems "loop" over the Pacific and make landfall around that area.

:eek: didn't know that, thanks for the info

A friend of mine has taken a couple of Princess repos and tells me that it almost always gets a bit rocky somewhere parallel around the California - Oregon border...something to do with the Pacific storm track & jet stream. If you go to a weather site like weather.com and look up a Pacific Northwest satellite loop you'll can see the storm systems "loop" over the Pacific and make landfall around that area.