Flying advice/question please

Luluwa

I've not flown to a port in A LONG time but we're sailing out of Baltimore MD and flying from Texas. In layman's terms can anyone fill me in on what we can carry on and what to check and bottle sizes, etc. I'm clueless :confused:

Thanks in advance for you assistance my cruise friends.

You're only to carry liquids in 3 oz or smaller bottles. You're only allowed as many of those bottles that will fit in a 1 quart ziplock.

From what I see flying these days that's about all the requirements. The airlines say there's a size requirement for bags but I've never seen it enforced. You'll see people stuffing hockey bags, goats, mattress sets, kids and god only knows what else in the overhead bins and under the seats. All to save $50 on bag fees. (Which I agree are ridiculous but come on I'm not going to lug my life's possessions thru an airport to save $50!

AFAIK you can still pretty much check anything you want. Each airline had their own policy for max weight though. Somewhere around 40 to 50 pounds. Don't go over, they will crucify you with over weight charges. Usually cheaper to just check an extra bag than pay even a modest overage fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Waterloomarc

You're only to carry liquids in 3 oz or smaller bottles. You're only allowed as many of those bottles that will fit in a 1 quart ziplock.

From what I see flying these days that's about all the requirements. The airlines say there's a size requirement for bags but I've never seen it enforced. You'll see people stuffing hockey bags, goats, mattress sets, kids and god only knows what else in the overhead bins and under the seats. All to save $50 on bag fees. (Which I agree are ridiculous but come on I'm not going to lug my life's possessions thru an airport to save $50!

AFAIK you can still pretty much check anything you want. Each airline had their own policy for max weight though. Somewhere around 40 to 50 pounds. Don't go over, they will crucify you with over weight charges. Usually cheaper to just check an extra bag than pay even a modest overage fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a very nice and accurate explanation! I also get VERY aggravated with the number and sizes of stuff people bring aboard the planes and then hold up the entire boarding and unboarding process. You'll also find, online, a complete list of do/don't listed by the airline that you're going to fly with.

Most airlines allow one carry on and one personal item. One should go in the overhead and one under the seat in front of you.

Put your meds and any items of value in your personal item. As an infrequent flyer, unless you are paying for early boarding (Southwest and other not so discount carriers) economy comfort or first/business class you may have to gate check your carry on due to lack of overhead space for those who board later in the process.

Do check the TSA rules. When you go through security you must put your baggie with the 3 oz. liquids, lipstick etc in a separate bin. Your shoes belts and other items will go in a second bin, unless you are 75 or have Global Entry or other pre clearance. It's best to empty your pockets of wallet and loose change and put it in the little bins closer to the x ray rather than the larger bin with other items.

Just watch the people in front of you and you will do fine.

The definitive answer comes from going to your airline's website and reading what THEY say are the rules for that carrier. That's what matters, and everybody is a little bit different. And it is usually pretty easy to find. They actually WANT you to know, since any hiccup slows down the process.

There is another recent thread where someone has two airlines on one itinerary, with different carry-on rules. Gotta check the details.

Also, that 1 carry-on and 1 "personal" is very much a USA airline trait. Not found everywhere. You are only going Texas to BWI, so you really don't need to be concerned about how Euro airlines treat carryons. But trust me....many folk have been caught flat-footed from believing that all airlines are the same on their rules.

To be a tad more accurate: the liquid/gel containers may be up to 3.4 oz or 100ml.

Absolutely check what your specific airline has on it's website for cabin baggage requirements. Even though "everyone else" is not following the rules, be a good egg and be compliant. It's the "everyone else" thing that makes it a pain for everyone…

Be ready for the TSA crap before you get to the checkpoint itself. If you don't make the Pre-Check line, it's easy to just pop out the laptop/3-1-1 bag and slip off your shoes. No fussing with change, jewelry, coats, hoodies, etc., right at the line - it's all taken care of earlier. If you get Pre-Check (and some "regular folk" are now getting randomly selected!!!), just pop the carryon onto the belt, DO NOT TAKE OUT BAGGIE and DO NOT TAKE OFF YOUR SHOES, and quickly walk through the metal detector...

It's best to empty your pockets of wallet and loose change and put it in the little bins closer to the x ray rather than the larger bin with other items. Just watch the people in front of you and you will do fine.

If TSA is using body scanners, nothing can be in your pockets. If you forget and have your boarding pass or wallet, hold it in your hand above your head when scanned. Even a single penny in your pocket will be detected by the body scanners and you will have to be patted down.

I've not flown to a port in A LONG time but we're sailing out of Baltimore MD and flying from Texas. In layman's terms can anyone fill me in on what we can carry on and what to check and bottle sizes, etc. I'm clueless :confused:

Thanks in advance for you assistance my cruise friends.

Well everyone I'm finding the 3-1-1 to be a challenge perhaps not in a bad way but a challenge to conquer haha

Loluwa,

If medication is an issue for your quart baggie don't sweat it, as meds are treated separately.

We want this to be a painless for you as possible so if the TSA regs or your airline info is confusing please ask again here. That's what we're here for.

Well everyone I'm finding the 3-1-1 to be a challenge perhaps not in a bad way but a challenge to conquer haha

Suggestion: Look for travel-size versions of makeup and over-the counter meds (pain relievers, sunburn cream, bug repellant, ...). Some supermarkets have a good selection, and Bed Bath and Beyond has an entire section devoted to them. Amazing how many a little quart ziploc can hold!

Suggestion: Look for travel-size versions of makeup and over-the counter meds (pain relievers, sunburn cream, bug repellant, ...). Some supermarkets have a good selection, and Bed Bath and Beyond has an entire section devoted to them. Amazing how many a little quart ziploc can hold!

Travel sized makeup? Why? I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have a single liquid/gel item in my makeup bag that is more than one ounce, most are under .5 ounces. I leave it all in my makeup bag, have never put it into a 3-1-1 bag even when flying internationally, and it has never, ever been questioned. (I have little liquid/gel makeup, I wear mostly powders and pencils)

For bug repellent, take the wipes, they aren't counted as liquids. Same with makeup remover. Use pill rather than gel form pain delivers and OTC medications and they don't need to go into the 3-1-1 bag. Actually as medications they are counted separately, but some battles aren't worth fighting.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Well everyone I'm finding the 3-1-1 to be a challenge

Suggestion: Look for travel-size versions.... Amazing how many a little quart ziploc can hold!

By using travel size toiletries, I can fit the following in my quart bag:

shampoo, conditioner, hairspray, face wash, moisturizer, deodorant, toothpaste, makeup remover wipes, a Tide sink packet or two, cortisone cream, neosporin, sunscreen, and concealer cream, and still have room for a couple more items. How much more could a person really need to pack?

Don't forget, shampoo, conditioner and body wash are supplied on the ship - you don't need to pack them unless you don't like what the cruise line stocks.

On Royal, the shampoo/conditioner/body wash combo (and yes, its a 3 in 1 combo that comes out of a wall dispenser) is horrible. No conditioning aspect to it whatsoever, and it is universally disliked by people with long hair especially.

I put the following into my 3-1-1 bag for a three week supply:

Sample packet of shampoo and conditioner, just enough until we got to the ship and had L'Occitane products

Body wash 1ounce (used ships L'Occitane after it was gone)

Two travel sized cans of hair spray. Didn't bother spraying in the am when I was going to be wearing a sun hat all day

1oz bottle of hair creme

Two ounce bottle of body oil--used the last of it on day 20

One ounce face wash (used makeup remover towelettes in evening)

One ounce face cream with SPF 15

.25 ounce eye makeup remover to swipe away anything that gets missed with. Q-Tip

Two small tubes of toothpaste

Lip balm

1 ounce hand cream, use what is supplied by ship as well

Two ounce sunscreen, we didn't need it every day, so it was enough for that trip.

My deodorant is a solid so didn't need to go into the bag. Same with my makeup except mascara and lip gloss, they are so small that TSA has never questioned them not being in the 3-1-1 in the half million miles or so that I've flown since 9/11. You can cut down if need be by using soap--bring it in a plastic travel soap holder.

If I were only going for a week or so, I'd only need one hairspray and could fit in extra shampoo and conditioner to make the difference.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...