Smoking On Board/Smoking Policy (MERGED)

I have found that your ships stink of tobacco smoke. There is supposed to be 'no smoking' along the passageways and lift/stair areas, so where is the smoke coming from?

Is it not about time that you also banned smoking on the balconies - in line with more enlightened cruise lines such as 'Celebrity'. There is no pleasure in having a balcony, if you are obliged to suffer the next balcony's smoke.

I too would love to see the end of 'smoking on balconies' As Lord Guy says, more enlightened cruise lines have now stopped this awful practice. It can certainly ruin one's cruise when in the next cabin to you resides a veritable 'smoking billy'!!

Lyn

With the banning of cigarette smoking in Churchill's on QM2 the only indoor area is now the G32. This is a night club with loud music. I am a solo passenger and most of the lovely people I have met on board have been in Churchill's. The atmosphere of the room encourages conversation and discussion, thus enabling new friendships to be formed.
I always book a balcony cabin to be able to enjoy the occasional cigarette. I am considerate of non smokers. If, as I have heard, smoking is to be banned from balconies, just where are people to go when the decks are closed due to bad weather.
Considering that 20% of UK nationals are smokers and this number is higher in other countries, I feel we are a substantial minority that are not having our needs met.
Are you going to stop people smoking on balconies and if so will you offer an indoor alternative?

I hadn't heard that smoking will be banned in Churchills :eek:.

Personally I would far rather it be banned from G32. It may be restricted to the upper level but the whole place stinks of smoke which makes it less than appealing to people who have respiratory conditions.

At least Churchills has a door which keeps most of the smoke inside.

[quote name='Lord Guy']I have found that your ships stink of tobacco smoke. There is supposed to be 'no smoking' along the passageways and lift/stair areas, so where is the smoke coming from?

Is it not about time that you also banned smoking on the balconies - in line with more enlightened cruise lines such as 'Celebrity'. There is no pleasure in having a balcony, if you are obliged to suffer the next balcony's smoke.[/QUOTE]

I can only speak of QM2, but there I never had anything to complain in that respect. I cant remember to have smelled cigarette or cigar smoke at all on QM2. It would be an annoyance to have a heavy smoker on the next balcony though, that should indeed be banned or restricted.

I didn't notice the smoke smell when I was aboard the QM2 last October but I must agree about the smoking issue on balconies. Last year several times during a Norway cruise where the balcony gets a lot of use we couldn't remain outside because of the smokers next to us.

There's also a strong ventilation fan discharge directly onto the QM2 promenade deck just adjacent to the Queen's Grill restaurant. It has a mixed sewage/cooking smell that prompts one to hold one's breath and walk quickly through this area. I wouldn't mind the warm air with cooking smell, but the sewage/sour milk smell is a real turn off.

Mr. Shanks-
We would love to do a trans-Atlantic or two aboard a [B]Cunard [/B]ship from NYC - even in late Fall or early Spring.

A couple of years ago when we had the time after retirement, to try a cruise, one of the first lines we looked at was Cunard. With great disappointment we learned of your present smoking policies.

Since then we have given our business to [B]Oceania[/B] and [B]Celebrity[/B]. Those lines do not forbid smoking but corral it to areas which are restricted. Life has gone on, and we have observed even couples where one smokes but the other does not, seem to survive and enjoy the journey and the ship.

We would love to take a trans-Atlantic with Cunard, [U]after[/U] a banning of smoking in cabins, balconies, most open deck areas; followed by a through cleaning of carpeting, drapes, walls, etc. With a closed area for cigars and serious fines for breaking the rules.

There is also the safety factor. Restricted smoking areas means less of a chance of a carelessly caused fire on board - one of the greatest dangers of sailing. Wouldn't your insurance rates go down? :D

We have informed your reps of this at the [U]NYT Travel Show[/U] and have observed many others feel likewise. Our travel agent knows of our standards. Healthier passengers who do not wish to [I]smoke via second hand smoking[/I], live longer, and thus can cruise longer!

Please consider updating your smoking policies, now that more is known about the dangers of smoking than 75 years ago! It is undoubtedly costing you a loss of business!

Sincerely, Shining Clem
(Who, when she worked in midtown Manhattan (mid-1960's), would look wistfully out her westward window, over the roof tops, to see if one stack or two was at the Cunard pier.)

Smoking is a tricky subject. It is fact these days around the world that whether you are in a hotel, restaurant or bar - smoking is no longer allowed. We reflect that on our ships. We withdrew smoking from cabins a few years ago - we still allow smoking on balconies at this point. A number of cruise lines are now reviewing this and I think that over time all lines will move to stop smoking on balconies and only allow in designated outside areas. We will continue to review it. We make an exception on Queen Mary 2 in allowing smoking on the upper level of the G32 Night Club - the reason for that is that often on a crossing it is simply too windy to go out on the balcony. In the next refit of the ship we will look at this again - and if we maintain smoking in that area we will most likley have it as a separate area. We have to follow the trends across the world on smoking and making sure that we have as healthy an environment for our guests as we can. I know that our guests who do smoke may not like this - but it is not something that the cruise lines can be singled out for - it is part of every day life now. Peter

Mr Shanks-

As you might imagine, we are disappointed in your answer. We know your current policy. At this point in our lives, we do not have "time" while Cunard and other lines dither over this admittedly tricky issue.

If you are relying on 'on board' surveys to help set policy, you do not hear from those of us who never board, due to your policy. This is why we appreciated the opportunity to let you know directly.

We try to be reasonable, and not ask for a complete ban on smoking, but a way for those with both viewpoints to compromise. The entire [U]Carnival[/U] group of lines is behind the times on this issue. Being in a no/limited smoking area, as you point out, is available to those who stay in hotels and other lines such as Oceania, Celebrity, Azumara. Alas, very few of us can afford our own ocean going yachts.

Not only is smoking bad for people's health, but a fire caused by careless smoking habits is catastrophically dangerous at worse, and expensive at best. The chances of fire, need to be minimized, as shown by the [I]Carnival Triumph[/I] and other events. This reality puts all selfish, convenience smoking arguments in perspective.

Thank you for acknowledging that present policy is under review at Cunard; we hope it happens sooner than later. Traditional standards in service with an enlightened vision of safety and wellness will get our business!

Sincerely, Shining Clem

[quote name='Peter Shanks']Smoking is a tricky subject. It is fact these days around the world that whether you are in a hotel, restaurant or bar - smoking is no longer allowed. We reflect that on our ships. We withdrew smoking from cabins a few years ago - we still allow smoking on balconies at this point. A number of cruise lines are now reviewing this and I think that over time all lines will move to stop smoking on balconies and only allow in designated outside areas. We will continue to review it. We make an exception on Queen Mary 2 in allowing smoking on the upper level of the G32 Night Club - the reason for that is that often on a crossing it is simply too windy to go out on the balcony. In the next refit of the ship we will look at this again - and if we maintain smoking in that area we will most likely have it as a separate area. We have to follow the trends across the world on smoking and making sure that we have as healthy an environment for our guests as we can. I know that our guests who do smoke may not like this - but it is not something that the cruise lines can be singled out for - it is part of every day life now. Peter[/quote]

[quote name='Shining Clem']Mr Shanks-

As you might imagine, we are disappointed in your answer. We know your current policy. At this point in our lives, we do not have "time" while Cunard and other lines dither over this admittedly tricky issue.

If you are relying on 'on board' surveys to help set policy, you do not hear from those of us who never board, due to your policy. This is why we appreciated the opportunity to let you know directly.

We try to be reasonable, and not ask for a complete ban on smoking, but a way for those with both viewpoints to compromise. The entire [U]Carnival[/U] group of lines is behind the times on this issue. Being in a no/limited smoking area, as you point out, is available to those who stay in hotels and other lines such as Oceania, Celebrity, Azumara. Alas, very few of us can afford our own ocean going yachts.

Not only is smoking bad for people's health, but a fire caused by careless smoking habits is catastrophically dangerous at worse, and expensive at best. The chances of fire, need to be minimized, as shown by the [I]Carnival Triumph[/I] and other events. This reality puts all selfish, convenience smoking arguments in perspective.

Thank you for acknowledging that present policy is under review at Cunard; we hope it happens sooner than later. Traditional standards in service with an enlightened vision of safety and wellness will get our business!

Sincerely, Shining Clem[/quote]

Shining Clem, check out the facts about fires onboard cruise ships. If you feel safer boarding a ship where smoking is banned, you missed the larger picture. Sincerely, Salacia

Salacia-

If you wish, please clarify what you mean by the larger picture, regarding on-board fire. Of course, we would feel safer on a vessel which prohibited smoking; in addition to the health dangers and sheer annoyance factors of being down wind from a smoker, even on a balcony.

Please review my 2 previous posts. I was not calling for a total ban of smoking, but rather removing the habit from balconies, to designated areas. This is a reasonable [B]compromise[/B]. It was a couple of years ago, but a Princess boat suffered quite a bit of damage when a carelessly tossed lit cigarette from a balcony started a fire. I believe a life or two was lost - ??

It is probably more likely that a fire would happen in an engine room, kitchen or faulty electrical system. ?? I have no idea of actual statistics of on board fires & their causes; nor where to go to research them. Companies are not exactly releasing this info to their PR Depts. for a monthly bulletin. :rolleyes: I'm sure Lloyds of London and Mr Shanks know the risk rates. Our role as consumers is to protect our own interests (our lives) and health.

Why not reduce one major chance of fire? It is common sense that when smoking is restricted to specific areas, there is less chance of a fire. If people are sitting upright at tables, with others around, and fire suppression & disposal items are close at hand, it is a safer situation than someone dozing off on a private balcony. Or carelessly tossing a butt from a balcony.

Mr Shanks acknowledged the trend toward restricting smoking areas in his reply. This is encouraging! We and many others, just wish it would happen sooner rather than later. We are disappointed not to be able to sail with Cunard for trans-Atlantics or other Carnival based lines which have better itineraries in places such as Alaska, due to their allowing smoking on balconies. I am sure he wishes to keep those dreams of 20 yr olds fulfilled! Cruise lines certainly try to tap into those dreams with their advertising. For us, a love of deep water, ocean experiences goes along with good food, a comfortable mattress, and cheerful service.

Reducing the chance of uncontrolled fires, by even 10-25% is a positive larger step.

Cheers - Shining Clem

[quote name='Shining Clem']Salacia-

If you wish, please clarify what you mean by the larger picture, regarding on-board fire. Of course, we would feel safer on a vessel which prohibited smoking; in addition to the health dangers and sheer annoyance factors of being down wind from a smoker, even on a balcony.

Please review my 2 previous posts. I was not calling for a total ban of smoking, but rather removing the habit from balconies, to designated areas. This is a reasonable [B]compromise[/B]. It was a couple of years ago, but a Princess boat suffered quite a bit of damage when a carelessly tossed lit cigarette from a balcony started a fire. I believe a life or two was lost - ??

It is probably more likely that a fire would happen in an engine room, kitchen or faulty electrical system. ?? I have no idea of actual statistics of on board fires & their causes; nor where to go to research them. Companies are not exactly releasing this info to their PR Depts. for a monthly bulletin. :rolleyes: I'm sure Lloyds of London and Mr Shanks know the risk rates. Our role as consumers is to protect our own interests (our lives) and health.

Why not reduce one major chance of fire? It is common sense that when smoking is restricted to specific areas, there is less chance of a fire. If people are sitting upright at tables, with others around, and fire suppression & disposal items are close at hand, it is a safer situation than someone dozing off on a private balcony. Or carelessly tossing a butt from a balcony.

Mr Shanks acknowledged the trend toward restricting smoking areas in his reply. This is encouraging! We and many others, just wish it would happen sooner rather than later. We are disappointed not to be able to sail with Cunard for trans-Atlantics or other Carnival based lines which have better itineraries in places such as Alaska, due to their allowing smoking on balconies. I am sure he wishes to keep those dreams of 20 yr olds fulfilled! Cruise lines certainly try to tap into those dreams with their advertising. For us, a love of deep water, ocean experiences goes along with good food, a comfortable mattress, and cheerful service.

Reducing the chance of uncontrolled fires, by even 10-25% is a positive larger step.

Cheers - Shining Clem[/quote]

Hi Shining Clem. I'm not ignoring your questions, but this is Peter Shanks thread, so we'll take it to the main forum if you wish to start a new thread. BTW, I do understand your concerns. Regards, -S.

Mr Shanks,

Please ignore the Cap'n's comments, he isn't seeing the difference between the usual inane babble we have and the oportunity to speak to the head honcho and thereby get some change of policy.

Thanks for treading carefully through the minefield that is smoking policy on ships; this really is a topic where it is impossible to please all of the people, any of the time.

I personally loath the stink of the evil weed and have little sympathy for those who cannot manage without it for a few hours, let alone a six day crossing. But I do recognise that just telling them all to go sail with Costa isn't an answer. I just don't want (and will not accept) having to put up with it and am happy to vote with my feet and wallet.

Would you consider something like Clem's compromise? Ships already have a Churchill's cigar lounge. I've only been near it once, because the malodourous reek, even with the door closed was terrible. How about setting something similar up for smokers? It could have high quality fume extraction to protect staff, even beefed up fire supression to satisfy those who worry about that sort of thing. Definately it needs someone on the door to spray people down with something pleasant on the way out so we don't suffer that terrible elevator whiff from the addicts' clothes and hair.

But please, put it somewhere away from a main thoroughfare, so that the foul air doesn't leak out for the rest of us to wade through.

I think that is incredible that many of those that are posting on this subject, Don't! actually post anything at all on the Cunard board so provably never! have been or ever will be Cunard customer's, Just a few people that like to like to change the rules but will never set foot on any of the ships.

[quote name='Chunky2219']Mr Shanks,

Please ignore the Cap'n's comments, he isn't seeing the difference between the usual inane babble we have and[COLOR=red] the oportunity to speak to the head honcho and thereby get some change of policy.[/COLOR]

Thanks for treading carefully through the minefield that is smoking policy on ships; this really is a topic where it is impossible to please all of the people, any of the time.

I personally loath the stink of the evil weed and have little sympathy for those who cannot manage without it for a few hours, let alone a six day crossing. But I do recognise that just telling them all to go sail with Costa isn't an answer. I just don't want (and will not accept) having to put up with it and am happy to vote with my feet and wallet.

Would you consider something like Clem's compromise? Ships already have a Churchill's cigar lounge. I've only been near it once, because the malodourous reek, even with the door closed was terrible. How about setting something similar up for smokers? It could have high quality fume extraction to protect staff, even beefed up fire supression to satisfy those who worry about that sort of thing. Definately it needs someone on the door to spray people down with something pleasant on the way out so we don't suffer that terrible elevator whiff from the addicts' clothes and hair.

But please, put it somewhere away from a main thoroughfare, so that the foul air doesn't leak out for the rest of us to wade through.
.[/quote]

You really believe that do you? Dream on.

[quote name='capnpugwash']You really believe that do you? Dream on.[/quote]
Well, having read the replies to all the other posts and not seen a single "[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]yes you are right I'll fix that[/SIZE][/FONT]" it is entirely possible you may have a valid point. Personally, I wasn't expecting to see a squadron of flying pigs delivering tea making facilities for cabins or to get anything but a corporate speak answer to a tightly focussed question.

But here's the thing - I have to assume you believe it too, otherwise you wouldn't have posted in five of the question threads?

[quote name='Peter Shanks']Smoking is a tricky subject.[B][COLOR=indigo] It is fact these days around the world that whether you are in a hotel, restaurant or bar - smoking is no longer allowed[/COLOR][/B]. We reflect that on our ships. We withdrew smoking from cabins a few years ago - [B][COLOR=red]we still allow smoking on balconies at this point. [/COLOR][/B]A number of cruise lines are now reviewing this and I think that over time all lines will move to stop smoking on balconies and only allow in designated outside areas. We will continue to review it. We make an exception on Queen Mary 2 in allowing smoking on the upper level of the G32 Night Club - the reason for that is that often on a crossing it is simply too windy to go out on the balcony. In the next refit of the ship we will look at this again - and if we maintain smoking in that area we will most likley have it as a separate area. We have to follow the trends across the world on smoking and making sure that we have as healthy an environment for our guests as we can. I know that our guests who do smoke may not like this - but it is not something that the cruise lines can be singled out for - it is part of every day life now. Peter[/quote]

Peter Shanks: No, the fact is that there are hotels around the world that offer accomodations to cigarette smokers. Not to mention that here is a huge difference between walking outside a hotel or restaurant for a smoke, and standing on the open deck in high seas after walking half the length of a football field while dressed according to the evening's dress code. Walking on a wet deck in high heels and long gown is quite a challenge.

Noted with interest is your comment " [B][COLOR=#ff0000]we still allow smoking on balconies at this point[/COLOR][COLOR=black]" My question is: if Cunard changes this policy, how much notice will be given to passengers should Cunard decide to restrict smoking even further? [/COLOR][/B]

Because Cruise Critic has not closed this special thread, my expectation is that Peter Shanks (or a Cunard representive) will respond to my question. Thank you. -S.

[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]

[B]I simply cannot see the logic here at all. You ban smoking in cabins yet allow it on the balconies....fine on a med cruise, but rather dangerous on a TA.[/B]
[B]As far as l have read Churchills is now restricted to cigars only and cigarette smokers are not welcome anymore. [/B]
[B]The last time l travelled in QG ...when smoking was still allowed in cabin...our so called butler argued with us when we requested an ashtray in our cabin, stating that there was one on our balcony.[/B]
[B]That is when we stopped travelling with Cunard. [/B]
[B]You put out to your pax their preferences and you got your feedback.....ironically most of which are ex smokers and obviously holier than thou.[/B]

• 5 months later...
[FONT=Calibri]National statistics indicate that 20% of the age group "60 years or older" in the UK smoke, a parallel could probably be made to Cunard's UK client base. When are Cunard going to wake up to the fact that 20% of their customers occupying balconies who smoke are affecting 80% of their customers occupying balconies that do not smoke?[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]We have just returned from a fantastic cruise to Iceland on the Queen Elizabeth, everything was almost perfect including the weather in Iceland (22 degrees centigrade). Unfortunately our cruise was spoilt by chain smokers in the cabin next to us and others around us. The corridors also smelled of smoke in this part of the ship. My wife and I were unable to use our balcony because of the stale/fresh smell of cigarette smoke that lingered outside the balcony door. It did not matter whether it was 7.00am in the morning, if we wanted to eat breakfast prior to a trip onshore, or at any time throughout the day up to midnight the smell was always present. Even if you opened your balcony door for a moment smoke would funnel into the room and contaminate the cabin space.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]We spoke to the Pursers office very early in the cruise to try to change cabins, this proved a non starter as the ship was full. We spoke to the Hotel Manager on the QE and lodged constructive critism of Cunard's policy. She was sympathetic but could offer any solution as it was Cunard's Policy to allow smoking from balconies. This fact is hidden in the small print in Cunard's brochures which we failed to spot prior to booking. [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]We have cruised on Celebrity ships four times and have had wonderful smoke free cruises on our balconies each time and had two cruises on Cunard ships. You can guess who we will be cruising with next time. I hope you read this post "Cunard" because we are two of the 80% of your guests who do not smoke who will be avoiding booking with you again until you change your smoking policy. Congratulations to Celebrity for listening to the majority rather than the minority. [/FONT]

Archived