Upsell help?

Shmoo here

OK, we got an email offering an upsell.

The price quoted is from an oceanview to a mini-suite for $99 per person. Is that the total amount? Or per day?

And, is that a good price?

EDIT FOR ANOTHER POINT: this is a 5 night cruise - still a good price?

Edited by Shmoo here

Call quickly if you even want to consider it. You will mostly likely be called back, so you don't have to commit over the phone now.

You will pay $1 more per person per day in grats, but no big deal. A mini is much bigger and nicer than the OV.

Jim

The offer is probably for only the one room, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Even if you can do both rooms, they probably won't be connecting.

How important is connecting rooms to you? If it is important, then you may not want the upsell. In any case, look at the room locations to see how far the new cabins are from each other.

Personally, I would not take the upsell because of DW's mobility issues. She needs a walk-in shower - she cannot handle stepping in to a shower in tub. A mini-suite (except for the accessible ones) has a shower in tub. An inside, oceanview, or balcony cabin has a (small) walk-in shower. But this may not be an issue for you.

OK, thanks everyone. Just called and waiting for the call back. Any idea of how long that takes?

Only issue is we're two connecting rooms currently. Don't know if the offer will extend to the other room. Hope so.

In my experience, the call-back is seldom quick. I've had two upsells and one move-over offer. In one case they called us back the same day. Two times we didn't hear from them until the next day. Remember, they've probably made this offer to a number of people, and they return calls in the order of passenger response. That's why I said call quickly if you even want to think about it. Sometimes I think they don't even start the call-backs until the next day.

As NavyVeteran said, you should start scoping out what cabins are still available among the minis, so you'll be prepared when they call back.

Of course if the connecting cabin thing is a deal-breaker, that might be the end of it.

Jim

I have had callbacks anytime from a few minutes after my call to 6 hours later. It really depends on how many responses they get and how many called before you.

The offer is only for you so likely wouldn't apply to your traveling partners but it doesn't hurt to ask if you can get it applied for the other room. If they have a lot of open cabins, they may do it for you.

Do a mock booking to get an idea of where the available mini suites are. That way you'll be prepared when they do call you back if location is important to you. Good luck!

OK, thanks everyone. Just called and waiting for the call back. Any idea of how long that takes?

Only issue is we're two connecting rooms currently. Don't know if the offer will extend to the other room. Hope so.

I should try and get two cabins and tell them you are not fussy about the interconnection if they mention it. That would be $99 x 4 passengers. Go for two passengers if you have to. If you already agreed to any form of upsell on the phone you can still look at the cruise personaliser to see if the information contained therein has a different cabin listed and check that on a deck plan.

Regards John

OK, just got off the phone (pretty quick response). No, "they can't offer the upsell to the other room at this time". But, it's possible that they may get to their reservation, if not enough people take the offer.

We did take the offer. I was pleasantly surprised that the upcharge was only for the first 2 passengers (we have 3 in the room), so it's an even better deal IMO.

We're more forward from where we were, but I think it'll be OK.

I have had callbacks anytime from a few minutes after my call to 6 hours later. It really depends on how many responses they get and how many called before you.

The offer is only for you so likely wouldn't apply to your traveling partners but it doesn't hurt to ask if you can get it applied for the other room. If they have a lot of open cabins, they may do it for you.

Do a mock booking to get an idea of where the available mini suites are. That way you'll be prepared when they do call you back if location is important to you. Good luck!

I tried to do that, but the website is showing all mini-suites sold out.

On the phone she said they had them aft on Emerald and forward and aft on Dolphin deck. But she didn't say which ones. She offered the one she said was the most midship that she had.

Does anybody I have the number for the upsell dept.? I couldn't understand the message they left on my machine. Thanks

Staff in yield management are assigned specific cruises and the phone number will depend on who was assigned to manage the upsell offers for that cruise. I don't think I have seen the same phone number twice on the different upsell offers we have received.