Marseille Port Call

bluecontrolman

Hi,

My cruise has a port call in Marseille on Sunday 2nd April and I'm debating what to do. My partner is quite happy to just have a 'look around', visit a few tourist attractions etc. I hear that there is a free shuttle from the cruise port to where the public transport is? Is that the case?

Can anyone offer any tips? We're happy just going round a few of the main sites and grabbing lunch somewhere. Are there any tourist guides that are worth having a look at?

Thanks

There is a free shuttle on most days (it will be running on April 2), that takes you most of the way to the Old Port area. The drop-off point is near the "Joliette" metro and tram stops. There are a couple of shopping centers right there, and it's another 15-20 minute walk to the Cathedral, Charité, MUCEM, Old Port, Canebière, etc. Or you can take public transport.

Make a note of the exact spot where the shuttle drops you off, because it's hidden from the main road behind a nondescript iron gate. Also, the shuttle supposedly comes every 20 minutes, but I wouldn't necessarily count on that. And it can get very very crowded.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Would it be an option perhaps to take one of those hop-on-hop-off buses? I have found their web site but there is no map to show if they go all the way to the cruise terminal.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Would it be an option perhaps to take one of those hop-on-hop-off buses? I have found their web site but there is no map to show if they go all the way to the cruise terminal.

Their websites either have maps or state where they start/finish. Most near or at Vieux Port.

https://www.isango.com/marseille/marseille-hop-on-hop-off-tour_26657

There is a bus stop outside the port gates. The bus will take you to or close to Vieux Port.

We will be on the Crown Princess with a stop Monday May 1. Looks like there could be demonstrations for May Day. Does anyone have any info or suggestions? Saw that it is a national holiday too.
It is one of the more disruptive holidays in France, with no public transportation in most cities (outside of Paris). You should check websites beforehand for any museums or other attractions that you might want to visit.

The free port shuttle will be operating that day, according to the calendar that they posted.

We love the various villages of Provence, many of which are a short drive from Marseille. Last year four of us hired a driver and in one day were able to visit Avignon, Arles, St. Remy and Les Baux.

There is certainly enough in Marseille to keep anyone occupied for a day. The Old Port is lovely, with lots of nice terrace bar/ restaurants. The Panier district has old buildings and shops and is nice to wander around.

You can visit various sites and museums.

Take a boat trip to Ile de Frioul and have a lovely fresh fish lunch.

There is a HOHO bus and mini train too.

This is a bit lazy - but does anyone have suggestions for a '4 hour visit' to Marseilles which includes stopping for lunch? My plans at the moment currently extend to getting the free shuttle to the old port, having a walk around, going up to the cathedral, trying to find somewhere nice for lunch and then heading back to the boat.

This is a bit lazy - but does anyone have suggestions for a '4 hour visit' to Marseilles which includes stopping for lunch? My plans at the moment currently extend to getting the free shuttle to the old port, having a walk around, going up to the cathedral, trying to find somewhere nice for lunch and then heading back to the boat.

You can get public transport up to the Ste Marie La Garde church. It is the M60 and runs along the seafront every 20 minutes. You can buy the ticket on the bus. It's about €1.20.

You could either walk down the many steps or take the bus. There are loads of places for lunch. Remember the French eat lunch fairly early, so you need to be in a restaurant by about 13.30.

We love the various villages of Provence, many of which are a short drive from Marseille. Last year four of us hired a driver and in one day were able to visit Avignon, Arles, St. Remy and Les Baux.

Would it be possible for you to give me more info on your driver? My wife and I are booked on the 2018 Carnival Horizon, and want to visit these very same places. I was thinking about renting a car but have not done much research yet. Still a year away for us......Thank you !!

We visited Marseille on Sunday.

Got off the boat at about 10:30 and walked the 15 mins to the shuttle bus stop. It turned up about 11:10 and dropped us off at the port entrance at about 11:30. Eventually managed to get the bus to the old port and then up to the Marie La Garde church. Nice views but we felt that we didn't really get the most out of the stop.

There is nice stuff to do and see in downtown Marseille for a couple of hours, but this is a port where relying on cheap/free public transportation can really eat into your time and limit your options. The free shuttle, in particular, doesn't really come every 20 minutes as advertised, and the number of passengers they squeeze on when it does finally arrive is almost certainly illegal… At the very least it will make for one of the most uncomfortable bus rides of your life. But it's free, so you can't complain.

There is nice stuff to do and see in downtown Marseille for a couple of hours, but this is a port where relying on cheap/free public transportation can really eat into your time and limit your options. The free shuttle, in particular, doesn't really come every 20 minutes as advertised, and the number of passengers they squeeze on when it does finally arrive is almost certainly illegal… At the very least it will make for one of the most uncomfortable bus rides of your life. But it's free, so you can't complain.

I agree. I'm always someone that tries to get the best value out of anything I do but with hindsight I don't think the free transport was a good option. The €16 euro fare charged by our Cruise ship was ridiculous but probably worth it for the time saved.

I agree. I'm always someone that tries to get the best value out of anything I do but with hindsight I don't think the free transport was a good option. The €16 euro fare charged by our Cruise ship was ridiculous but probably worth it for the time saved.

I have also used Provence Connection and recommend them. Their driver was very polite and knowledgeable. Plus, try to make time to visit the famous "water tower" - google it, you won't be disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you give me an idea what they charged for the excursion? We are in Marseille on Sunday 21/5 from 8 am to 5pm. We are quite keen to have a morning excursion maybe to Avignon and then back for lunch to Marseille unless there is a nice place in Avignon.

I will email them as well but would like to know whether you thought worth while and not excessively expensive.

We cruise with Costa and the excursions are often cancelled because too few English speakers and we dislike being on a coach full of people anyway.

Alicat

Can you give me an idea what they charged for the excursion? We are in Marseille on Sunday 21/5 from 8 am to 5pm. We are quite keen to have a morning excursion maybe to Avignon and then back for lunch to Marseille unless there is a nice place in Avignon.

I will email them as well but would like to know whether you thought worth while and not excessively expensive.

We cruise with Costa and the excursions are often cancelled because too few English speakers and we dislike being on a coach full of people anyway.

Alicat

I sailed with MSC and most of the excursions were between €45-60.

I'm sure other people with more experience will jump in - but my take is that the excursions are clearly over priced for what you do but for those that have no knowledge of the area or other forms of transport it is a stress-free way or making the most of your time there. I mean the excursion cost for what we ended up doing DIY would have been €100 between us whilst we paid €4 in total on the bus! But then we spent a LOT of time either waiting/riding on buses or just trying to work out where to go. And we left with plenty of time to spare 'just in case' the free shuttle didn't arrive.

With hindsight I would have done one of the longer excursions and just paid the money - though going up to the Church did give an amazing view.

• 2 months later...
Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, when we went in April there was a bus stop about 15 minutes walk from where we docked. It then took another 20-25 mins for a bus to show up and a further 15 mins or so to get to the port entrance where it drops you off. From there you can walk to the old port area in about 20 mins or catch a bus.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone who has stopped at Marseilles recently seen cabs at the cruise ship docks? My ship Oceania Riviera will be docked at the industrial far away port on Oct. 27. I am happy to take a cab from there into the city. I have heard they aren't available, that they don't come to the docks. I find this hard to believe. Oceania provides a free shuttle into the city but it only runs once an hour. If the timing is wrong for taking the shuttle I'd like to just take a cab.

Will there be cabs at the cruise ship port or is Marseilles one of those cities that don't allow them?