Grand Cayman/Cozumel snorkeling question

Txmedic5

I have a cruise booked in August to GC and Coz and was wondering if anyone knew of a way to snorkel from the shore without booking an excursion?

I would really like to experience the waters around both but we are taking the cheaper route this time when it comes to excursions.

If you know of a great place to snorkel that is free or at the very least locally cheap that would be great!

Also if anyone has taken the Whale Shark excursion is it worth the $200.00?

We take our own equipment and snorkel free in GC from Eden rock. Turn right from the pier and follow the water for about 5 minutes.

Here's some stuff from the web

Where To Snorkel In George Town

Snorkeling in Grand Cayman is both simple and exciting. The Cayman Islands are regarded as a World leading destination for scuba diving and snorkeling; mostly because of the water clarity, year round warm water temperature and the Island's shore proximity to pristine underwater reefs. You can take advantage of Grand Cayman's underwater beauty just a "few steps" away from the Port of George Town.

Ship docks between Eden Rock and the Wreck of the Cali

Eden Rock turn right from the pier

Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto

What Is It?

Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto are located close together about 4 minutes away from the Cruise Ship Terminal. Here you will find a magnificent coral formation in just 10 to 30 feet of water and fish everywhere! You cannot fit all that fish in an aquarium! This is Grand Cayman snorkeling at it's finest!

How To Get There

Walk to the right as soon as you get off the tender at either South or North Terminal. Walk along the water passing the Blue Iguana, you will see the road taking a bend with beautiful pine trees overhanging the coast line. Look for the sign for Club Paradise. (By now you have walked about 4 minutes.) There you will find an easy entrance to the reef.

George Town, Paradise to Eden Rock/Devils Grotto

Eden Rock and Devils Grotto are a favorite amongst snorkelers and divers alike. Free

The site sits a few yards away from shore, do not get discouraged when the bottom seems to get deeper (30ft) without any coral to be seen, at that time you are getting very close to the formation that rises up from 30ft to a mere 10ft of water.

Fish feeding here is also very popular. If you have ever wanted to jump into an aquarium, this is the perfect chance.

Eden Rock - Grand Cayman Dive Site and Snorkel Site

Clouds of sergeant majors and yellowtails surrounding snorkelers feeding them; this has become the trademark of Eden Rock, a popular snorkel site found just south of George Town, Grand Cayman's main port and centre of commerce. Stairs cut in the iron shore allow easy access to the water. Meander out over the shallows until you find yourself hovering over a mass of huge coral heads connected by tunnels and caves. A dive shop on the shore provides rental gear and instruction as needed. If you continue to the south, you will find other great sites such as Devil's Grotto, a unique extension of Eden Rock. Devil's Grotto features the same massive, hulking coral heads with even more open chimneys and swim-throughs. Sprawling out along the shoreline (to the west) off these sites is a spur and groove formation of coral peaks and gullies leading out to the edge of the wall. This is segmented into reefs named after the resorts sitting on the shoreline. You will find Parrot's Reef, Seaview Reef and Sunset Reef. Each resort gives you gear rental, instruction and guidance.

If you go to the dive shop just barely behind this one, you will find that the rental cost for snorkel gear is about half the cost of this shop.

Wreck of the Cali

What Is It?

The Wreck of the Cali is an old freighter that sank right beside George Town Harbor. It is now in pieces, resting in barely 20ft of water. The Ship's ribs are exposed and scattered along the ocean's floor holding many different species of sponges and fish life.

How To Get There

Walk immediately to the left of the Cruise Ship Terminal. You will pass by the Old Fort Monument and Lighthouse (don't look for a huge lighthouse, this one is barely 20ft high) on the waterfront. You will see a cove where vendors are selling fresh fish on a little beach. (By now you have walked about 4 minutes) You can get in the water right off that beach and snorkel to the little white buoys to the right just a few feet from shore.

George Town, Wreck of the Cali

The wreck of the Cali is an old freighter that sank right in front of George Town.

Legend tells of the Cali taking in a lot of water and was brought closer to shore, unfortunately it was carrying large amounts of rice, which of course expanded with all the water. The Cali virtually exploded from the rice expansion. No one can confirm this story, heard being told time and time again.

Truth or fiction, the Cali is a nice wreck to view. It rests on the S ea floor in pieces with all the ribs exposed making a really nice home for thousand of fish, giant sea urchins, eels, octopus and many other creatures.

The wreck is really close to shore in very shallow waters, that makes it a fun site for all ages.

Wreck of the Cali is a perfect snorkel site for beginners. Cayman's Cali Shipwreck snorkel site, less than 50 yards from shore. You can easily swim to it in about 30 seconds—a minute tops, if you are not a strong swimmer. The Cali Wreck lies in about 20-30 feet of water with a very easy entry/exit cove. Besides the wreck itself, there are an abundance of fish and interesting marine life in and around the wreckage. The surrounding cove area is an interesting snorkel site in itself, with lots of interesting critters in and around the rock formations that comprise the shoreline. This is one of the best beginner reef/wreck snorkel sites on Grand Cayman and it is absolutely free and accessible to the public, as are all of the beaches in the Cayman Islands, commencing from the vegetation line.

Wreck of the Cali

Grand Cayman Dive Site and Snorkel Site

Shore Access

The Cali was a four-masted schooner sunk just outside the harbour north of George Town in 1944. 220 feet long, she had been converted to diesel engines, the remnants of which are now spread across the bottom along with her hull. Declared a hazard to navigation, she was blown up shortly after her sinking. Her depth is a maximum of 24 feet at the sand, rising 10 feet off the bottom at places. You will recognize winches, boilers, hull plates and ribs nicely encrusted with sponges and corals. Shore access is excellent and the swim is just 75 yards.

Watch for the resident population of Tarpon.

Cheese Burger Reef

What Is It?

Cheese Burger Reef is so named due to the landmark found there. he Reef is spread out over 3 to 4 acres and the coral formation has some of the most vibrant colors found. You can snorkel with turtles that frequent the reef in search of sponges. This spot holds some of the most beautiful snorkeling in Grand Cayman.

How To Get There

Walk to the left as soon as you get off the tender at either South or North Terminal. This area is past the Wreck of the Cali so read above and just keep on walking. Right past Burger King you will see a small beach cove. (By now you have walked 10 minutes) Get in the water and snorkel to the many buoys found just off the beach.

George Town, Cheeseburger Reef

The reef lays in about 30ft of water with the larger coral formations in just 10 ft of water.

The entrance is very simple and a sandy walk in makes it that much easier. The marine life here is spectacular, mostly due to the long popularity of the spot, people have been feeding fish here for years with incredible results, the fish are not scared of people.

HAMMERHEADS

HAMMERHEADS restaurant

Wreck of the Gamma

What Is It?

The Wreck of the Gamma is another freighter that sank and crashed onshore right past George Town. It is now in pieces, resting in barely 20ft of water. The wreck is pretty neat but it's resting out of the water. The beauty is found nearby the wreck with beautiful juvenile fish, sponges and shallow coral formations.

How To Get There

Walk to the left as soon as you get off the tender at either South or North Terminal. This area is past the Wreck of the Cali and past Cheese Burger Reef so read above. Keep walking past those two spots and you'll find a cemetery by a stop light. Immediately after you will see a big beach area. Walk to the beach and you will see the wreck out of the water. There is a nice little beach there where you can enjoy sun tanning with a beautiful view of your Cruise Liner after a great snorkeling experience. If you snorkel to the left of the beach and stay close to the shoreline you will be able to view huge Grand Cayman salt water Tarpons. No rentals.

Wreck of the Gamma The Gamma is an old freighter that has been sitting just off the shore north of the Cali for decades. Her hull is half exposed and half submerged and presents a striking view. Shore access is easy from a protected rough sand/crushed coral cove. She sits immediately offshore. Depths barely reach 10 feet. The ship's location is easy to find: walk to the shoreline just north of town and you can sight her. The entry cove is slightly north of the wreck.

The Wreck of the Gamma is an old freighter that crashed against the shoreline. The wreck is visible from shore but unfortunately it is crumbling from rust damage.

The wreck actually sits sticking out of the water so the snorkeling is conducted "around" the wreck rather that "over" the wreck.

Wrecks make a great home for sea life and the Gamma is no exception, you will be able to view many different species within a very small area.

The nearby shoreline is also home to beautiful coral formations nearby. Try to concentrate your snorkeling close to shore as most of the beauty lays just a few feet from the entrance.

You might want to research Chankanaab Park in Cozumel. Good snorkeling right from the shore. Other facilities are available (decent bathrooms, food, drink, places to sit, a nature trail, educational stuff, etc.), less than a 10 minute cab ride from the port (I think in the $15 range for as many people as you can stuff into the cab :D )

http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/chankanaab.cfm

We have also enjoyed Club Caribe Cozumel. a google search will tell you all about it. Good snorkeling "drift dive" (you start about 1000 ft. up the breakwater and the current drifts you down to the beach in front of Club Caribe).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1677841

Where ever you end up, make sure you use a snorkel vest. Drowning while on vacation tends to put a damper on things. ;)

Do you know if any of those locations have sea turtles? Not a big deal but it might change my wife's mind about walking around town instead.

I have snorkeled Eden Rock and other places in GC many times. Never saw a turtle. But who knows you might get lucky. GC snorkeling is ouystanding. The water is very clear. Snorkeling is an amazing experience, especially the first time. Much better than shopping.

I have a cruise booked in August to GC and Coz and was wondering if anyone knew of a way to snorkel from the shore without booking an excursion?

I would really like to experience the waters around both but we are taking the cheaper route this time when it comes to excursions.

If you know of a great place to snorkel that is free or at the very least locally cheap that would be great!

Also if anyone has taken the Whale Shark excursion is it worth the $200.00?

In Coz, take a cab to Money Bar. Great snorkeling there - free entry to the place. It's a restaurant/bar with reasonably priced food. Lots of tables with umbrellas, hammocks, etc. They ask that you buy something to eat or drink while you are there. Can get good size lunch and bev for around $20 for 2. Most snorkeling tours will go to this area for the snorkeling. Been multiple times - highly recommend.

Edited by tgnorton

Another vote for Eden Rock in GC! They have locker rental for $5, so you can store your stuff and not have to keep up with it. (You do have to pay a $10 deposit on the key, but you can get this back when you return your key. We left ours as a tip.)

Eden Rock is NOT at the beach, but you do have steps leading down to the water. The water gets deep not very far out and is very clear, so you may not realize the actual depth. We saw TONS of beautiful fish and sea life. Loved it!

As a bonus, you can see the ship out in the water while you snorkel.

Do you know if any of those locations have sea turtles? Not a big deal but it might change my wife's mind about walking around town instead.

When you walk to (or from) Eden Rock, you can go up one block from the water and walk through the town shopping area. Easy to do both.

Cozumel: another vote for Money Bar. We've taken boat-snorkeling excursions, and one of their stops is right off the Money Bar. And one of the snorkel excursion operators (Eagle Ray Divers, I think) drops you off at Money Bar for lunch, after the snorkel trip. Take a taxi there, from the ship.

Grand Caymen: Eden Rock, in the harbor, as others have suggested. Bring a flotation device -- sometimes the water there is a little rough. I have some inflatable swim noodles that I bought online and they are perfect.

There have been a few recent reviews of the whale shark excursions in the POC sub-forum (and in here).

Short version from what i've read is: AMAZING "once in a lifetime" type of thing. Very long day (it's a long way to get from Coz to where the sharks are). and to bring a snack and sea-sickness pills just in case seas are rough.

I'll 2nd/3rd/4th Eden Rock. Literally the only thing we do in GC. Alot of fun. Beautiful coral columns, short swim and you usually have the ship right in your line of sight too which is always neat.

Coz-- Money Bar is decent. Catamaran excursions there are better than from land. I dont think the snorkeling in Coz is ever up to GC/Jamaica let alone the Windward Islands.

Have fun.

I 2nd Eden Rock.

Coz is ok and might even seem amazing if it's someone's first time to snorkel, but compared to GC, it doesn't hold a candle.

We took a cab once to Cemetery beach in GC. Decent snorkeling but again, nothing like Eden Rock. And it's isolated, so no facilities or lockers. But not crowded either.

I get to snorkel West Bay next week in Roatan. It might put GC to shame from what I've heard.:D

• 3 weeks later...

We went to G C on Tuesday. And smirked from Eden Rock. Water was great, clear. Lots of fish.

Went to Cozumel the next day and went to Chankanaab to snorkel. Water was great, very clear. And tons of fish.

This cruise both were excellent!! We are still on Freedom.

I live in GC most of the time. I have lived there and Little Cayman since 1979. My home is in Gov. Harbor, right across from Calico Jack's. I totally agree with snorkeling Eden Rock! Friends that come to visit love it there. I would bring my own snorkel and mask. Rent a bc and fins. It's a lovely clean place. Much better than shopping! Your wife could shop an hour then join you? Be sure and wave at the underwater mermaid for me! The turtles are hit and miss. You might get lucky.

Have a great trip!

We (husband, daughter, son in law, 7 year old granddaughter and 9 year old grand son) will be on the Paradise on August 6th. We are going straight to Calico Jack's. It is within sight of our house. We rented our house out for a year-the offer was too fabulous to pass up. The beach there is beautiful. Clean clean bathrooms and great drinks. Perfect place for kids!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I live in GC most of the time. I have lived there and Little Cayman since 1979. My home is in Gov. Harbor, right across from Calico Jack's. I totally agree with snorkeling Eden Rock! Friends that come to visit love it there. I would bring my own snorkel and mask. Rent a bc and fins. It's a lovely clean place. Much better than shopping! Your wife could shop an hour then join you? Be sure and wave at the underwater mermaid for me! The turtles are hit and miss. You might get lucky.

Have a great trip!

You won't get anywhere near the mermaid if you snorkel at Eden Rock; the mermaid is on the Sunset House reef, which is about a mile from downtown. I'm going to Sunset House for the day on our port stop from the Celebrity Reflection (http://www.SunsetHouse.com). Sunset House has no beach, but it has a tremendous salt pool with an opening into the ocean and the main reef. I took a group from my cruise there two years ago and they all loved it! From beginning snorkelers to divers, it's fantastic (I've gone to Sunset House with my PA dive group for a week for the last four years). There is rental of all gear, from snorkel sets to dive gear, and there are lockers there (but the number is limited due to the large number of divers who go for the week). The house reef is world-class, with tons of hard and soft corals, sponges, and all varieties of tropical fish. Might even see a turtle if you're lucky!

And the best part is that after you're done with your snorkeling or diving, just park yourself at My Bar for great food and drinks! It's big with both dive folks and Cayman locals. http://www.sunsethouse.com/resort/seaharvest-and-my-bar.htm

If you're interested, one of the former Sunset House staff, Julian Turner, now runs a tour company (IslandLuxeConcierge.com) and will provide shuttle service from the tender pier to Sunset House for $5 cash (price last time I checked). You won't find a better snorkel site than the house reef there - there are ladders from the ocean entry point (jump in or climb down) and steps to a ladder in the salt pool (which is full of small fish, urchins, squid, and the occasional larger fish).

And if you want to see the mermaid, look at my profile pic! :D

Edited by JMTtor

• 7 months later...