Another Newbe Compare to SilverSea

ano

We've gone on MANY cruises on Carnival, RC, Norwegian, Princess, Celebrity....

but we are over it. We've had it with the Nickle-and-Diming... So its time to move on. We are looking at Regent Seven Seas and Silversea. Both look very similar to a newbe. Both are "all inclusive" but what is really NOT included from each? Any other big differences that stand out? I can tell you, the prices are very similar.

Welcome to the Regent board. We have sailed Siversea three times but are Regent regulars.

Before going further, I highly recommend booking through a TA that regularly books Silversea and/or Regent and that gives a percentage back of your cruise fare (in addition to some sailings where they offer OBC's). They can assist you with suite selection and answer a lot of questions (and there are also those of us on the CC board to help).

You will not find nickel and dining on either cruise line. However, these are the items that could cost more:

1. On Silversea, they have one specialty with a charge (two on the Silver Spirit). Regent's specialty restaurants have no charge.

2. On Regent, there are included excursions in all ports but there is also Regent Choice excursions where they is a cost involved. When we book these excursions, we pay for them in advance and then cash them in and use onboard credits once on board.

3. Alcohol on both lines are top shelf (Patron tequila, Grey Goose vodka for instance) but if you want ultra high end (Johnny Walker Blue or Green), there is a charge. The same goes with wine. There are many included choices but some people want high end and there is a cost.

4. There is a special premium wine/food tasting with a cost on Regent. However, there are wine tastings at no cost. We only do the premium wine/food tasting when we want to spend OBC's.

5. The spa - while you can use the spa area and gym at no cost (both cruise lines), there is a cost for spa treatments (massages, nails, hair, etc.). On Regent the gratuity is included - not sure about Silversea.

5. The Boutique, of course, has a cost.

You could go on either cruise line and not spend a penny and have an amazing time.

Note: We have been on Silversea's Whisper and Shadow which we love and the Spirit (which we don't love). We also do not care for the older, smaller ship (either the Cloud or the Wind). We have no experience with Silversea's new Muse.

Silversea is much more formal than Regent. It seems that men have to wear either jackets or suits with ties (if not tuxes) most nights. Regent is Elegant Casual which means men wearing slacks and collared shirts (and can even wear Dockers and polo shirts. You would also see some men in sports jackets and suits - it is whatever makes you comfortable - just as long as don't wear jeans or shorts after 6:00 p.m.

You likely noticed that Regent includes international Business Class air while Silversea does not ..... another thing to consider (as well as included excursions on Regent).

You will have a fabulous time on either cruise line.

Hope that this helps!

P.S. When comparing any luxury line to premium and mainstream, keep in mind that the ships are much smaller, the atmosphere is quiet and serene with less to do than on larger cruise lines. This doesn't mean that luxury cruise lines are boring -- there are things to do but you won't find loud music by the pool, etc.

Welcome to the Regent board. We have sailed Siversea three times but are Regent regulars.

P.S. When comparing any luxury line to premium and mainstream, keep in mind that the ships are much smaller, the atmosphere is quiet and serene with less to do than on larger cruise lines. This doesn't mean that luxury cruise lines are boring -- there are things to do but you won't find loud music by the pool, etc.

No I got you. Thanks very much. Very helpful. I'm looking forward to it.

As usual, I agree with Travelcat. Unlike Travelcat, we've never sailed on Silversea which disqualifies me from voicing my opinion here according to some...BUT...from the extensive research I did when I was in your shoes a few years ago I found that all of the luxury cruise providers offer pretty much the same experience (which is usually very, very good) but there are some differences that tend to attract/repel certain people based on their personal preferences. (How was THAT for a rambling, run-on sentence?)

My personal favorite line right now is Regent, based mostly on familiarity. If I had to choose a different cruise line, I'd choose Seabourn, Crystal, or Silversea - in that order. Although they all have their pros and cons (again, just my opinion and based on reading countless reviews and marketing material), Regent is the best fit for us. But having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to sail on any of them if the itinerary and timing worked for us.

My feeling is that Seabourn is probably the closest to Regent in terms of product, whereas Crystal has more emphasis on fine dining but smaller suites. Silversea seems to be a more formal experience (although current posts lead me to believe that's changing, too) - I think if you find a sailing you like at a price you like - on ANY line - you'll have a good time.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :D

As usual, I agree with Travelcat. Unlike Travelcat, we've never sailed on Silversea which disqualifies me from voicing my opinion here according to some...BUT...from the extensive research I did when I was in your shoes a few years ago I found that all of the luxury cruise providers offer pretty much the same experience (which is usually very, very good) but there are some differences that tend to attract/repel certain people based on their personal preferences. (How was THAT for a rambling, run-on sentence?)

My personal favorite line right now is Regent, based mostly on familiarity. If I had to choose a different cruise line, I'd choose Seabourn, Crystal, or Silversea - in that order. Although they all have their pros and cons (again, just my opinion and based on reading countless reviews and marketing material), Regent is the best fit for us. But having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to sail on any of them if the itinerary and timing worked for us.

My feeling is that Seabourn is probably the closest to Regent in terms of product, whereas Crystal has more emphasis on fine dining but smaller suites. Silversea seems to be a more formal experience (although current posts lead me to believe that's changing, too) - I think if you find a sailing you like at a price you like - on ANY line - you'll have a good time.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :D

You're a man after my own heart, Bill! I could not have said it better! We have sailed 3 of the 4 cruise lines mentioned. We have the most time on Regent and is our go to favorite, although the other two have their strong points as well. Our only issue with Regent right now, is they are getting REALLY PRICEY!! I know you need to pay for quality, but we may need to trim our budget a little. To have a 10-12 day cruise on Regent in a middle-ish cabin, we're into about 25K at least. I realize Regent includes it ALL and it's wonderful to get off without a bill, however I don't know if we can continue to fork over that kind of cash.

Bill, appreciated your rambling run-on sentence:evilsmile:

Although we initially tried Silversea due to itinerary, we liked it a lot (despite the dress code). We found ways to meet the dress code (barely) without having to dress up to much or go out and purchase a tuxedo (which we had to do anyway for the christening of Explorer).

Based on reading about Seabourn and Crystal, we would pick Seabourn first (after Silversea). I cannot see a Regent cruiser enjoying the whole Crystal experience until Crystal completely refurbishes their ships and has true open dining (which they do not have now). I have a couple of Crystal friends (that also sail Regent and one that just sailed Silversea) and they have concerns with the new ownership of Crystal. Time will tell where that cruise line goes and whether their promises to their loyal guests will be met.

It took so long for Seabourn to put a non-smoking policy in place for suites and balconies that our interest waned to the point of no return. OTOH, I would like to see you two try Seabourn so you can do a review (a review that I would have much respect for).

In the meantime, enjoy your Explorer cruise (I'm jealous) and we will likely enjoy our Mariner cruise (more for the crew than for the itinerary). You never know -- someday we may actually end up on the same cruise and can meet in person!

Safe travels!

We were on Silver Seas once about 15 years ago, one of the big insurance marketing companies we wrote a lot of business for took the whole ship for a week at a cost of 1 million dollars, it was a blast the bar tenders were used to closing down by 11 pm we kept them going till 3 am or 4 am the food was great as were the ports with free tours it was just one big week long party! Never been on any cruise like it before or since! At our age now don't think we could handle it! LOL

PS We have been on Regent 40 days and will be on Explorer for 24 days in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by goldenrod

We were on Silver Seas once about 15 years ago, one of the big insurance marketing companies we wrote a lot of business for took the whole ship for a week at a cost of 1 million dollars, it was a blast the bar tenders were used to closing down by 11 pm we kept them going till 3 am or 4 am the food was great as were the ports with free tours it was just one big week long party! Never been on any cruise like it before or since! At our age now don't think we could handle it! LOL

PS We have been on Regent 40 days and will be on Explorer for 24 days in 2018.

Sounds like you had a great time. Agree that as we age, the party atmosphere is not as inviting. We certainly did not get the "party vibe" on Silversea (nor is there one on Regent). Still, there is a lot of fun to be had on both cruise lines.

Ano, for balanced feedback from both Regent cruise critics and Silversea cruise critics, would also post your thread starter post #1 on the Silversea board as well.

We sail on both Silversea and Regent equally (about 12 cruises on each line)--our view is both lines are winners for our cruise desires. Service, and cuisine are almost a tie (tho by a very slight margin on cuisine, service--we prefer Silversea), however for robust entertainment/active daytime and evening activities Regent wins hands down.

So for us, the itinerary is the deciding factor when choosing to sail Silversea or Regent--for example after immensely enjoying the Grand Voyage on the Voyager (this Jan-Mar) we decided our next cruise would be Antarctica. We preferred to book Regent but Regent does not have ships that go to Antarctica (nor do they plan to enter the Antarctica market according to what the CEO of NCLH mentioned to me in March--so we are again booked on Silversea (just returned from a Silversea cruise in Norway two weeks ago) for Antarctica in late February thru March. Yet, we have Regent (Mariner booked for Shanghai to Tokyo) in early 2019 due to what posters above have pointed out--fully all inclusive (tho $$) but where Regent separates itself from Silversea and the other lux lines, is the included pre or post tour you get with your cruise fare (e.g. For our Asia cruise we get a 3 nite Great Wall of China land tour).

In sum, we count our blessings to be able to sail on either Regent or Silversea and as stated previously, whether you choose to cruise Regent or Silversea--you will have a wonderful/fun time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by WesW

Yes we agree, our last cruise on Regent was ten years ago, we have been cruising on the Mass market lines since we retired, but we can now afford to go back to Regent thanks to our 12 rental properties so we will see you on board!!

TC was really complete in her comparison.

I have only one thing to add

Dinner starts later on Silversea. I believe it was 7.

I had included dry cleaning, but it may have been the suite we were in.

Very formal.

Hi Ano. We too have looked at Silversea, but at this point have only cruised with Regent. We are comfortable with Regent because it "fits" us, especially the dress code. Silversea would have to have the perfect itinerary in order for us to choose that line, because it appears to be much more formal.

Aside from that, your "nickel and diming" comment caught my eye, because we have never sailed with one of the the "big guys," except for a TransAtlantic crossing on Cunard last fall. (Formal but fun, and we used the crossing for transportation because it was actually cheaper than flying! And it checked off a bucket list item. Note: we didn't pack formal clothes and stayed in "allowable" areas of the ship after 6 p.m., in case Cunarders are reading this :D). The Queen Mary 2 is beautiful, but huge. Every time we had to sign for a drink, or had to pay for a specialty tea or coffee, or pay for a myriad of other things that are included on Regent, we couldn't help but compare.

We can't afford to cruise with Regent every year. I've looked at some of the mass lines so we could go more often, but after reading about all of the nickel and diming, as ano expressed, we'll stick with Regent. We're not interested in having to pay upcharges in order to have a lobster tail at dinner, packs of feral children roaming around the ship, paying extra for room service delivery, and dealing with huge numbers of passengers, some of whom try to smuggle alcohol on board in rumrunners. One line charges $100 just to have a special dinner served course by course on your balcony!!:o No thanks.

Whichever cruise line you choose, may you have safe and happy travels.:)

We sailed on Silver Spirit and it really turned us off Silversea. We are Regent all the way! If my relatives plan a cruise on Crystal we would probably join them (sailed Crystal and liked it but not as much as Regent). We are sailing Explorer again in September and May :D

We sailed on Silver Spirit and it really turned us off Silversea. We are Regent all the way! If my relatives plan a cruise on Crystal we would probably join them (sailed Crystal and liked it but not as much as Regent). We are sailing Explorer again in September and May :D

Explorer is like the Lay's potato chips of the Regent fleet - nobody can sail just once. :D