Pick the best places for dinner on the Oasis

ac1

150 Central Park has the highest quality and best prepared dishes. After that, the nod goes to Chops and Izumi.

For Tapas, Vintages is great. But not sure it's substantial enough to truly make a birthday dinner.

Giovanni's is a decided step down. Good, but very pedestrian Italian a rung below Olive Garden.

Solarium Bistro is good, clean healthy dishes in a very enjoyable environment.

Can't comment on Sabor, but the menu looks like the Mexican version of Giovanni's, very predictable but not memorable.

Johnny Rockets is the same as it is on land. So if you want to go to a fast food burger joint for dinner, have at it.

If you're in a suite, I'd certainly investigate coastal kitchen.

If you don't care, there's always the MDR.

150 Central Park has the highest quality and best prepared dishes. After that, the nod goes to Chops and Izumi.

For Tapas, Vintages is great. But not sure it's substantial enough to truly make a birthday dinner.

Giovanni's is a decided step down. Good, but very pedestrian Italian a rung below Olive Garden.

Can't comment on Sabor, but the menu looks like the Mexican version of Giovanni's, very predictable but not memorable.

Johnny Rockets is the same as it is on land. So if you want to go to a fast food burger joint for dinner, have at it.

Really? Giovanni's is a rung below Olive Garden? Who made you such a qualified food critic?

Wow....really? You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I am Italian and only prepare authentic Italian food from scratch. Giovanni's is WONDERFUL. Olive Garden? You are comparing it to the Olive Garden (yuck). That isn't even Italian food. It is frozen crap delivered by Sysco.

Really? Giovanni's is a rung below Olive Garden? Who made you such a qualified food critic?

Wow....really? You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I am Italian and only prepare authentic Italian food from scratch. Giovanni's is WONDERFUL. Olive Garden? You are comparing it to the Olive Garden (yuck). That isn't even Italian food. It is frozen crap delivered by Sysco.

My apologies. I didn't realize I wasn't entitled to my opinion. I have eaten at Giovanni's on a number of occasions, and it has always been completely unremarkable.

I am as qualified a food critic as anyone on these boards. I didn't realize that my opinion is not valid because I'm not Italian, but I'll try and keep that in mind.

My apologies. I didn't realize I wasn't entitled to my opinion. I have eaten at Giovanni's on a number of occasions, and it has always been completely unremarkable.

I am as qualified a food critic as anyone on these boards. I didn't realize that my opinion is not valid because I'm not Italian, but I'll try and keep that in mind.

Um, I beg your pardon....I said you WERE entitled to your opinion. (you may go back to re-read if you wish). I find it a little strange that you have been to Giovanni's 'ON A NUMBER OF OCCASIONS" yet find it "unremarkable". So, my question to you is, why do you keep returning? :confused:

I also, did NOT say you have to be Italian to know good Italian food. :eek:

Totally agree. But hey, on the other side of the spectrum, we also have those here that liken Chops to Capital Grille or Berns steakhouse :o

I feel the same way about Chops that the OP feels about Giovannis. Except I wont be going back to Chops on a number of occassions.

I guess if Giovannis is "pedestrian Italian", whatever that means, then Im a big "pedestrian Italian" fan. If I were gonna compare, Id say Carrabba's is the only land based Italian dining Ive had that came close to Giovanni's. But as I understand it, Carrabbas is more Italian American than Authentic Italian.

Edited by ryano

Totally agree. But hey, one the other side of the spectrum, we also have those here that liken Chops to Capital Grille or Berns steakhouse :rolleyes:

I guess if Giovannis is "pedestrian type Italian", whatever that means, then Im a big "pedestrian type Italian" fan.

Ahhhh...Berns.....LOVE LOVE LOVE. Went to the one in Tampa last November...So much better than Ruth Chris. :):):)

Um, I beg your pardon....I said you WERE entitled to your opinion. (you may go back to re-read if you wish). I find it a little strange that you have been to Giovanni's 'ON A NUMBER OF OCCASIONS" yet find it "unremarkable". So, my question to you is, why do you keep returning? :confused:

I also, did NOT say you have to be Italian to know good Italian food. :eek:

I found there to be a healthy dose of sarcasm in your surprised reaction and comments. I was also responding to two comments at once, and the other person questioning my qualifications as a food critic is what I was referring to.

Why have I been on a number of occasions? Because it's still better than the MDR. I didn't say it was bad. I just tend to find it rather unremarkable. And I certainly don't see why some give it the high praise they do. But again, that's just my "opinion".

As for the Italian comment. If you weren't saying you have to be Italian to know good Italian food, what exactly was the point of the comment?

Also, I love love LOVE the "frozen crap delivered by Sysco" comment!:p Where exactly do you think RCI gets a lot of their food from? Yep.... Frozen from food distributors like Sysco.

. And I certainly don't see why some give it the high praise they do. But again, that's just my "opinion".

Exactly how I feel about Chops. I liken to Chops to a Longhorn or Outback as far as quality goes and believe me, Ive been jumped on too.

I happen to think Giovannis is much better than Olive Garden but Im not going to argue with you over your opinion :)

Either way, you are most correct in that its better than the MDR :)

Edited by ryano

Okay all you culinary experts, where would you go for YOUR birthday dinner? I'll be celebrating my birthday during our Oasis cruise. Should we spend the $$$ and go to Chops, or should we wait and go on land to Capitol Grill?

Also, how can I find a menu for these restaurants.

Maybe you should celebrate on land before you board-- and you are in luck----there is a great Olive Garden near the port.......................the all you can eat soup and salad with bread is to die for....

Happy <enter celebration name here> wherever you decide to go--

Tks everyone for the info! It's really hard to decide which to choose when your son is a chef at a very nice Chop House iv VA and we get the same steak at home! LOL! I love Italian and Asian , may have to go that route.

Ann

Chef's Table was, by far, our favorite dining experience on Oasis. It's a maximum of 16 diners per night. Food, wine, and service are impeccable. Atmosphere (in suite lounge) is modern and quiet. You'll be greeted with champagne, have a sommelier, server, and chef at your table...and you're the only table there. It's perfect for special occasions.

Oasis has very good specialty restaurants!

We had dinner in several of them 6 of 7 our nights on the cruise.

For atmosphere on a special occasion 150 would be a great choice and the food was excellent.

We actually enjoyed Giovanni's most of all. :D

LuLu

Okay all you culinary experts, where would you go for YOUR birthday dinner? I'll be celebrating my birthday during our Oasis cruise. Should we spend the $$$ and go to Chops, or should we wait and go on land to Capitol Grill?

I'd go to Giovanni's.

Sample menus here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_dining_options&tab=1

Capital Grille on land will definitely be the best quality meal. But if you're looking for a memorable meal on board, I'd say plan on Chops. But go in advance and talk to the maître D'.

Now, I'll make a suggestion that might get some people up in arms. Grease his (or her) palm a bit. A friendly conversation about how excited you are to be on board, and how much you're looking forward to a special evening, along with a $50 slipped into his (or her) hand will undoubtedly make for a memorable night. And all in, it will be a LOT cheaper than Capital Grille!

Capital Grille on land will definitely be the best quality meal. But if you're looking for a memorable meal on board, I'd say plan on Chops. But go in advance and talk to the maître D'.

Now, I'll make a suggestion that might get some people up in arms. Grease his (or her) palm a bit. A friendly conversation about how excited you are to be on board, and how much you're looking forward to a special evening, along with a $50 slipped into his (or her) hand will undoubtedly make for a memorable night. And all in, it will be a LOT cheaper than Capital Grille!

Agree! It's always a good thing to $hake hands! :D

We are both most likely going to get flamed for saying this ... but it's true!

LuLu