Southampton berth 102 - where is it?

tring

We have just had our tickets fro the Balmoral sailing on 3rd May and the terminal is 102, yet we appear to return to terminal 101 (according to the southampton port schedule). The 3rd May is a busy day with all three Cunards + Anthem of the Seas in port that day, so we thought we had done well staying, (and parking), at the Holiday Inn, where we could have walked to terminal 101, which was the original dock scheduled.

Does anyone know where berth 102 is and if we could still walk from the Holiday Inn? I have found a trip advisor thread from last year which said 102 was a marquee and gave directions when driving (basically follow the signs), but that is not much use to us on foot. The cruise terminal next to 101 is Mayflower (106) and the Queen Victoria is there.

Edited by tring

We have just had our tickets fro the Balmoral sailing on 3rd May and the terminal is 102, yet we appear to return to terminal 101 (according to the southampton port schedule). The 3rd May is a busy day with all three Cunards + Anthem of the Seas in port that day, so we thought we had done well staying, (and parking), at the Holiday Inn, where we could have walked to terminal 101, which was the original dock scheduled.

Does anyone know where berth 102 is and if we could still walk from the Holiday Inn? I have found a trip advisor thread from last year which said 102 was a marquee and gave directions when driving (basically follow the signs), but that is not much use to us on foot. The cruise terminal next to 101 is Mayflower (106) and the Queen Victoria is there.

I'm not sure if you can walk from the Holiday Inn.

If you were entering the docks through Dock Gate 10, directly opposite is the Solent Flour Mills building, I understand berth 102 is behind the Flour Mills building. The berth appears to be between the Mayflower and City Cruise terminals and is probably, as you suggested, a marquee. Perhaps you can spot the Flour Mills on Google maps.

On one cruise on Balmoral, we checked in at berth 104 the 'Fruit Shed', it wasn't the most salubrious environment.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for that tigernut. I think we will be OK as I decided to ring Fred and was told the terminal is very near the City and Mayflower terminals. The ticket said 'passenger terminal 102' and it seems that 'passenger terminal' is a terminal name, (as are City and Mayflower).

I did a bit more searching for threads, both here and on TA, and it seems that 102 was a marquee and behind city terminal last year. It seems both City and Mayflower are being revamped to take the new megaships - so I presume it is a temporary structure.

There is a dock gate (8 I think, but not sure of that), which is just beyond the Holiday Inn car park and we were able to just walk through that gate to City Terminal previously, (a 10 min walk), so fingers crossed we will be able to do the same. Back to back passengers were using that as a way in/out of Southampton from City Terminal. From what I gather, sometimes that gate is closed and the only access is via gate 10, which I understand is by the Novotelle, (as you said). If there is building work, I presume that could alter normal access routes, but as it is only an 8 night cruise we could probably still stroll up to the Novotelle and back to the terminal with our luggage, or even take the luggage in by car before we go.

At worst we will have to get a taxi, so we can sort it on the day. We had plans on taking the luggage up early and going back to the hotel for another cup of coffee though, as we have late check out at Hol Inns with their loyalty club. We do like to do things easy if we can.

Thanks again,

Barbara

Edited by tring

That's one of the threads I found before I did my second post above. Having found out more I thought I would put the details on here as it could help other people.

I am just wondering if the new cruise ships will ever stop getting bigger! I hope Fred stick to what they have had so far, but there will be a shortage of smaller ships for them to buy as time goes on. That may well be when we give up cruising and stick to land holidays.

Thanks for the link though,

Barbara