Adonia for Fred???

simonpjd

With rumours flying all over other P&O forums all saying Adonia is likely to be sold soon I wonder if Fred may be a prospective buyer. Fred's vessels are all knocking on a bit and a newer 700 passenger ship may be just what they may be after. I think this would be a splendid move for Fred having just done a couple of week's on Adonia and she would fit the Fred profile like a glove.

Thoughts anyone.

We were on Oriana last year and there were passangers absolutely adamant that Oriana was being disposed of and would be sold to Fred Olsen this year (the brochures indicate otherwise and Oriana is also scheduled for a refit in Dec 2016)

So I think these rumours circulating around the P&O ships tend to be the norm.

TBH I think Oriana and Aurora would be a more natural fit with Fred Olsen than Adonia.

At about 30,000 ton, Adonia would fit in fine with the current size of Fred's ships - a bit bigger than 3 of them, but would take slightly less passengers in more upmarket accomodation (a lot of balconies), so could well be a good buy for Fred. We would be prepared to pay more for a better ship, but it depends just how much more. The big advantage for Fred is his itineraries and Adonia would allow those sort of itineraries to be continued. We have sailed on her twice, once as Swan's Minerva II which was brilliant, and once soon after she became Adonia. Under P&O the ship was a nightmare as they wanted to keep their 'Butlins style' activities. It was not possible to settle in one bar in the evening for a pleasant conversation with some background music, without someone stopping the music to do yet another quizz or something, (Fred keeps those sort of things to one location, so the observation lounges can be used as such). Adonia just does not fit with P&O's model. P&O do not even open the self service restaurant in the evenings most nights, and a self service alternative is an essential for us if there are set dinner sittings. Fred's self service restaurants are well presented and serve good food - something I would like to think he will continue with.

Oriana has a lot of maintenance problems and is a bit like an old car that has to go because it is costing too much in repairs - P&O seem to be just ignoring much of that much needed maintenance. We were onboard in March and the water was turned off to decks 8.9 and 10 on two occasions (once for 4 hours - not sure about the second). Engine problems persisted on our cruise, the previous one and the current one as well! It is also far too big for Fred's niche in the market. To go into a P&O 'lots of activities' model and restrict the ability to go into smaller ports would loose that operating advantage in my opinion.

Anyway, the OP asked about Adonia and someone we spoke to on a Fred ship before Christmas seemed to think Adonia was a possible aquisition and that Black Watch is to be got rid of in a couple of years. I do not know anything about that person, but I got the impression he had some sort of reliable inside knowledge. Has anyone heard anything about Black Watch?.

Edited by tring

I would have thought Adonia would fit Fred perfectly. Right size, right number of pax and able to do the little port itineraries. And a chance for Fred to go a tad more upmarket with all the balconies. We all love a good rumour so let's wait and see. Adonia to Fred and Black Watch to Cruise and Maritime.

Back in 2009 the then captain of the Balmoral told us that Fred Olsen was in negotiations to buy a much larger ship which would "cater for families". That has never materialised so perhaps it's unwise to listen to rumours about ships. There has been talk of the demise of the Black Watch for many years yet wasn't it refitted last December along with the Braemar and Balmoral. Have I missed out a ship? :D

There has been talk of new ships for years. It was said at one time that two new small ships were being built in Korea, one for Saga and the other for Fred. Olsen to replace the old "Black Prince". The demise of the "Black Watch" has been much talked about but after a recent refit it seems unlikely. I think the purchase of the "Adonia" or even better the "Oriana" would give a great boost to the fleet. The "Braemar" could then be based in the Caribbean where it belongs. There might be scope for more cruises in the North Pacific. The "Balmoral" calls in Alaska a few years ago were quite superb.