Geraldton

Gwendy

If you have been to Geraldton can you let me know what you did for the day? Also how easy was it to get around without a shore tour. I would be interested in the Sydney memorial, the lobster factory and just having a look around. Thanks in advance.

The museum which gives you a lot of information of the Batavia and coral coast. The old gaol, old railway station, which houses an information centre. If access to a vehicle or local tour, (google Greenough) 25 kms 20 mins south of port is well worth a visit. Its an historical town which has been restored to its 19th century lifestyle. The trees that bend right to the ground due to the winds. Geraldton, known as "windy city Geraldton"

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

The museum which gives you a lot of information of the Batavia and coral coast. The old gaol, old railway station, which houses an information centre. If access to a vehicle or local tour, (google Greenough) 25 kms 20 mins south of port is well worth a visit. Its an historical town which has been restored to its 19th century lifestyle. The trees that bend right to the ground due to the winds. Geraldton, known as "windy city Geraldton"

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Thanks, looking forward to visiting in July.

The Sydney memorial usually has volunteer guides when a ship is in port. It makes the visit more interesting with all the background facts the guides tell. The museum is well worth a visit. We walked everywhere but be aware the memorial is on a hill.

• 3 weeks later...
If you have been to Geraldton can you let me know what you did for the day? Also how easy was it to get around without a shore tour. I would be interested in the Sydney memorial, the lobster factory and just having a look around. Thanks in advance.

Hi Gwendy,

I live in Geraldton, so to answer your question, Geraldton has a fantastic museum right on the Marina waterfront - about 100 meters from where you will disembark - you could easily spend 2 hours there.

About another 300 meters you can walk to the HMAS Sydney memorial which is located on a hill overlooking the town (we call it a city, with a population of about 40,000.)

If you are wanting to visit the Lobster factory you would need to take a Cab - the fare would be about AUD $10.00.

You can easily walk the Downtown area from your ship, but just be aware if you are calling in on a Sunday most of the shops are closed!

I trust this helps and hope you enjoy our City (town)

Hi Gwendy,

I live in Geraldton, so to answer your question, Geraldton has a fantastic museum right on the Marina waterfront - about 100 meters from where you will disembark - you could easily spend 2 hours there.

About another 300 meters you can walk to the HMAS Sydney memorial which is located on a hill overlooking the town (we call it a city, with a population of about 40,000.)

If you are wanting to visit the Lobster factory you would need to take a Cab - the fare would be about AUD $10.00.

You can easily walk the Downtown area from your ship, but just be aware if you are calling in on a Sunday most of the shops are closed!

I trust this helps and hope you enjoy our City (town)

How could I forget to mention our Cathedral??

The St Francis Xavier Cathedral was designed by Monsignor John Hawes in 1916 and is a most unusual style of architechture. It has recently had a $10million refurbishment.

Please visit the link below:-