Smith's for Airports

A fellow passenger has mentioned Smiths for Airports out of Portsmouth as a company to look into for transfer from London airport to Southampton. I was wondering if anyone has used them or has heard any word on their reliability. Their price is very competitive, but as we know, it's not always about cost.

Good Morning, Harrtchr. It looks like we're not getting any replies. We are going in September, and I think we'll use Smiths. I read about them on CC, but can't find out where it was. When are you going, before or after us? We'll send a reply when we get back, but, unless we hear something really bad, I think we'll give Smiths a try.

Phil;)

Phil, I haven't used them in the past, however myself and another cruiser have them booked for our July 28th trip. I booked them for Gatwick to Southampton, and another person on our roll call booked them for Heathrow to Southampton. I KNOW that I read about them on CruiseCritic, but for the life of me I can't find it now. Their price is so much better that I'm willing to take the chance, and they've been very good about answering questions and getting back to me via e-mail. I'll try to remember to post when I get back and let you know how it was.

• 8 months later...

We are thinking of using Smiths For Airports for our transfer from Heathrow to Southampton. Their rate seem to be a lot lower than the other companies. We are wondering if anyone have used them and can share your experience with us? Thanks.

Pat

Pat, we used them on our trip last July, and were very pleased with them. They were right there to pick us up, and what was really nice was the driver took back roads through the little villages instead of the main highway. It was really cool to drive through the small villages and see the vine covered cottages, etc. It didn't take any longer to get to Southampton, the price was excellent, and I felt like we got a tour along the way. I would recommend them in a heartbeat...

Can you post their web site? We are going in September and need transportation from London to Gatwick.

London to Gatwick is easiest on the train. Google for "Gatwick Express" train leaves every 15 mins from Victoria Station.

Gatwick to Southampton is also pretty easy by train, about 2 hrs, direct train, and it's fairly cheap (20 GBP). Very comfortable, and way more interesting and relaxing than being in a car.

Pat, we used them on our trip last July, and were very pleased with them ... didn't take any longer to get to Southampton, the price was excellent, and I felt like we got a tour along the way. I would recommend them in a heartbeat...

We also used them last summer for a trip from our hotel in Central London to Southampton and from Southampton back to Heathrow. For both trips they were on time and provided good service at what I thought was a very fair price (beat some companies by a wide margin). I would recommend them highly and use them again for private car service.

• 5 years later...

I know this thread is old, but I was wondering if anyone who reads this who used Smiths for Airports could report back on how their service was. I am probably going to book them for a trip from Southampton to Heathrow in August. Thanks!

I know this thread is old, but I was wondering if anyone who reads this who used Smiths for Airports could report back on how their service was. I am probably going to book them for a trip from Southampton to Heathrow in August. Thanks!

Although I've never used them, I've seen many positive reports from CC members. We all foul up from time to time & I guess they're no exception, but I've never heard of any problems with them.

They're based at the Southampton end, and for airport & London jobs they're usually a little cheaper than their local rivals.

London & airport-based services tend to be more expensive.

JB :)

When pressed, they told me that they WILL wait for us if necessary. The person said that disembarkation was a little hit or miss - sometimes they wait for us (passengers) if the ship or clearance comes late, and sometimes we wait for them - if the ship comes in early and we get off early! They DID suggest allowing 2 hours to get to Heathrow, at least from QE2 dock location.

I'm going to go ahead and book with them. I'm sure it will work out in the end, but I'm the cautious type and want to minimize surprises and risk as much as possible, thus my questions.

We used them twice two years ago. To take us from our London hotel to Southampton and at the end of our cruise to take us to Heathrow. They were reliable and showed up as promised. On the return to Heathrow we had built in some time in Salisbury and Windsor Castle. Basically, we had the van and driver to ourself all day. We were very pleased with their service.

We used them when we returned to Southampton on Caribbean Princess May 24. Trevor, their driver, was kind enough to look around for us when we missed him at the door. Good driver, excellent service, dependable. Took about 90 minutes from Southampton to Heathrow. Highly recommended.

I just booked Blackberry transport service to get us in Southampton and take us to London. Then booked them again to take us to the airport a few days later. They don't ask for a deposit. Seems like I read about them on CC but can't remmber where. Anyone know about them?

• 4 months later...

We used them this past August. Our inbound flight arrived early but our driver was waiting. In Southampton our driver appeared at the exact time requested. Both to and from Southampton we had a very comfortable Mercedes station wagon. The drivers were personable and we thought the price was reasonable. In addition, the folks in their office were very prompt in responding to my questions and setting up our reservations.

Edited by capriccio

• 2 weeks later...

We used them this past June for our important transfer from Harwich Cruise Port (disembarkation from the Infinity) to Southampton (board the QM2). Simon, our driver was professional, prompt and full of great info/stories concerning the area. He knew of a major accident on the southern loop road around London and re-routed to the northern loop, saving us loads of time. This three hour trip was a very reasonable £195. The car was clean and fairly new, with more than enough room for our cruise luggage.

Highly recommend their great service!

When we arrived in London, we used the Heathrow Express Train from the airport to Paddington Station; caught a taxi to our Hotel. The day we left London, we used regular train service (£ 8), Liverpool Street Station to Harwich -- 117 minutes with a quick train change in Manningtree. We spent 21 days on Celebrity's Infinity, before this important transfer down to Southampton for our TransAtlantic back to NYC.

Enjoy your Holiday!

Kel:)

• 8 months later...

I want to thank everyone for their replies here. We will use them for the first time later this summer--both from the airport to our hotel in London and then again from London to Dover the day before we cruise.

I'll report back! :)

I want to thank everyone for their replies here. We will use them for the first time later this summer--both from the airport to our hotel in London and then again from London to Dover the day before we cruise.

I'll report back! :)

Hiya! We used Aquacars.co.uk from Heathrow to Southampton. They are based in Portsmouth which is close to Southamton. Prompt pickup and courteous service. Cost was GBP75 one way. You may want to give them a look...