Royal Caribbean Copies Freestyle

London-Calling

With the express caveat that I haven't tried either (Breakaway later this year and Quantum isn't sailing yet), I agree that the RCI dynamic menus look better on paper than the Breakaway menus. I made the mistake of reading them right before dinner time and my mouth was literally watering.

That said, after my upcoming May cruise my next two will be Breakaway and Quantum, so I'll be very excited to compare the two similar concepts!

I'm looking forward to your review! I was on Breakaway in February and found the meals in the MDR delicious, well prepared, and served properly. I don't know if the menus are as exciting-sounding but the food was very good. We ate in an MDR most nights and enjoyed it. (I really like the Lamb Rogon Josh but your favorites may vary.)

Watch NCL undercover boss. They tried fake ice skating on rubber mats with ky jelly squirt all over it, rock climbing wall, leveling pool table. From carnival the rope course. From Princess the movie screen. Freestyle cruising was actually an expanded version of Princess cruises personal choice dining. Whatever they all copy benefits us the consumers. People seem so heated on these topics I personally will continue to go on any cruise ship over any land based vacations.

Speaking of copying ---- RCI is having their new ship built by Meyer in Germany where the last two NCL ships were built, and the next two are scheduled.

The Oasis and Allure were built in Finland --- Is the change of builders considered copying ??????

WOW! It's amazing how personally some people take things.

As a fan of both NCL and Royal, I'm glad to see innovation. This dynamic dining also includes a 24 hour buffet which includes breakfast items. I don't think NCL has that. Also, there are 5 "full service" eating venues, but there are many others that are included (Windjammer, room service, 270, dog house, Sorrentos, Solarium Bistro (breakfast and lunch).

On my first NCL cruise, I was expecting to see something magical with the freestyle concept, but in reality all the major cruise lines have embraced it. On Carnival, Royal, NCL, Princess you can eat when you want with their version of anytime/my time dining. On Royal you can choose to eat with others or by yourself. You can make a dinner reservation or not. You can go to formal night or not.

IMO, who cares who came up with it? Someone had to be first, right?

That being said, I sail on NCL in 56 days and 2 weeks ago was on a Royal cruise. Any cruise is a good cruise in my book.

WOW! It's amazing how personally some people take things.

As a fan of both NCL and Royal, I'm glad to see innovation. This dynamic dining also includes a 24 hour buffet which includes breakfast items. I don't think NCL has that. Also, there are 5 "full service" eating venues, but there are many others that are included (Windjammer, room service, 270, dog house, Sorrentos, Solarium Bistro (breakfast and lunch).

On my first NCL cruise, I was expecting to see something magical with the freestyle concept, but in reality all the major cruise lines have embraced it. On Carnival, Royal, NCL, Princess you can eat when you want with their version of anytime/my time dining. On Royal you can choose to eat with others or by yourself. You can make a dinner reservation or not. You can go to formal night or not.

IMO, who cares who came up with it? Someone had to be first, right?

That being said, I sail on NCL in 56 days and 2 weeks ago was on a Royal cruise. Any cruise is a good cruise in my book.

Just want to clear up a bit of misleading information in your post regarding the 24 hour buffet. You are right that NCL ships don't have 24 hour buffets, but they do have OSheehan's or Blue Lagoon that are open 24 hours and serve meals. The food is very good !!!! Of course, I am sure you are aware of the other restaurants and buffets on NCL ships.

Regarding the Freestyle concept -- NCL introduced this to the mainstream cruise lines, and the others soon began to follow suit after seeing the success NCL had with it.

Edited by swedish weave

Speaking of copying ---- RCI is having their new ship built by Meyer in Germany where the last two NCL ships were built, and the next two are scheduled.

The Oasis and Allure were built in Finland --- Is the change of builders considered copying ??????

RCCL (RCI and Celebrity) has been using Meyer Werft for over a decade.

RCCL (RCI and Celebrity) has been using Meyer Werft for over a decade.

Actually, it's been even longer than that! Meyer Werft built the lovely Horizon Class twins for Celebrity nearly 25 years ago. Thus, the Meyer Werft connection predates RCI's acquisition of the Celebrity brand by quite a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Looks like they have created an app for use on the ship as well.....who had that first? Lol

Not that it matters really. All that matters if it works for them or not. I mean, does anyone here really want to see a cruise line fail? There is always one person/company that does something first and if it works others follow...what does it mater?! Why all the negativity?! It's cruising people!

No...it would not tempt me.

Why settle for a copy when I can have the real thing?

Besides, I prefer substance over style.

I love NCL and sailed with 99% of the time. I haven't sailed with RC since the 90's, but would again (if I could afford it).

However, I wouldn't say "why settle for a copy when I can have the real thing?" because NCL's new ships kinda copied off Carnival if you ask me with the ropes course and stuff on the sports deck. (Who knows, maybe Carnival copied off of someone else?). But still, it's not like they were the first to come up with it. Just saying... :)

NCL isn't copying what RCCL does....and NCL posters aren't hanging out on the RCCL forum trying to sell NCL.

Their actions speak volumes over their words.

This is too funny.

Rock climbing, minigolf and so on.

Most of lines switched at least partially to flexible seating long time ago. What RCCL is doing now is just next step.

Btw I am not a fan of any particular line as you can see from my signature, so I am just telling as it is.

I don't understand why people are saying RC is copying NCL. The last RC cruise I was on, it was anytime dining. You go whenever you want or make a reservation if you want a more definite time. Frankly I don't get the hype about "Freestyle". To me it was exactly the same thing as anytime dining on RC. We ate whenever we wanted. It was just location that differed, but the menu is pretty much the same I thought (Tropicana menu seemed the same as Taste/Savor).

This RC concept looks interesting because there are five free restaurants with different styles of food. Now that to me is very interesting. I think on paper it sounds better than what I just had on Getaway. If Tropicana, Taste, and Savor all had different menus then I think that would make NCL comparable but otherwise I think this RC concept is better.

The RCI concept is only going to be on those 2 ships - Quantum and Anthem. Right now there are no plans to roll it out to the rest of the fleet.

Those menus look outstanding. I wish NCL would do this with the 3 MDRs - give them each different menus and distinct personalities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not instead, but we will continue to cruise with both.

Nice companies.

Same here! Regardless of the cruise line we choose, we're just interested in having fun! This upcoming Getaway cruise will be our first time on NCL and just like past cruises we've taken, our only expectation is to have a good time.

Edited by Erik101

I don't understand why people are saying RC is copying NCL. The last RC cruise I was on, it was anytime dining. You go whenever you want or make a reservation if you want a more definite time. Frankly I don't get the hype about "Freestyle". To me it was exactly the same thing as anytime dining on RC. We ate whenever we wanted. It was just location that differed, but the menu is pretty much the same I thought (Tropicana menu seemed the same as Taste/Savor).

This RC concept looks interesting because there are five free restaurants with different styles of food. Now that to me is very interesting. I think on paper it sounds better than what I just had on Getaway. If Tropicana, Taste, and Savor all had different menus then I think that would make NCL comparable but otherwise I think this RC concept is better.

Maybe I can help clear up your question about "Freestyle".

NCL introduced this concept to mainstream cruising a few years ago when most (if not all) lines had assigned seating for the dining rooms. The idea caught on, and the other lines changed their ways and began using various names for allowing people to dine when they chose. This was done to try to retain the market share that they saw slipping away to NCL.

The proof of the success of NCL's system is that now most of the lines offer some form of "Freestyle". Some do it pretty well, and others not so well.

Maybe I can help clear up your question about "Freestyle".

NCL introduced this concept to mainstream cruising a few years ago when most (if not all) lines had assigned seating for the dining rooms. The idea caught on, and the other lines changed their ways and began using various names for allowing people to dine when they chose. This was done to try to retain the market share that they saw slipping away to NCL.

The proof of the success of NCL's system is that now most of the lines offer some form of "Freestyle". Some do it pretty well, and others not so well.

Spot on...as always. :)

Not to mention that the premise, and title, of the entire thread is "Royal Caribbean Copies Freestyle"...that might have something to do with why people keep saying it. After all, it is the thread topic!

And it really isn't the people here saying it...go over to the RCCL board. Their term for it is "Norwegian of the Seas".

What I can't understand is why the RCCL folks want to come here to discuss it.:rolleyes:

So, does it really matter if RCCL is copying NCL's Freestyle? If it makes for a better cruise, why not welcome RCCL's version of Freestyle?

Well...it obviously mattered to the OP or else he/she would not have started the thread. And it also matters to everyone who was interested enough in the topic posted to click on the thread and read it.

I can't answer your second question...it isn't the people HERE carrying on about what RCCL does...you'll have to rely on the RCCL crowd who have come to THIS board to discuss their cruise line to answer that question. Personally, I see them reacting 12 years too late...and with a poor (IMHO) copy...it gives me no reason whatsoever to try this ship, or the line.

Well...it obviously mattered to the OP or else he/she would not have started the thread. And it also matters to everyone who was interested enough in the topic posted to click on the thread and read it.

I can't answer your second question...it isn't the people HERE carrying on about what RCCL does...you'll have to rely on the RCCL crowd who have come to THIS board to discuss their cruise line to answer that question. Personally, I see them reacting 12 years too late...and with a poor (IMHO) copy...it gives me no reason whatsoever to try this ship, or the line.

I found an interesting article that pretty well describes NCL's position in revolutionizing the cruise industry. Your 12 year comment is a little short of the time frame NCL has been making innovations. See the attached information.

About Norwegian Cruise Line

Norwegian Cruise Line is the innovator in cruise travel with a 47-year history of breaking the boundaries of traditional cruising, most notably with the introduction of Freestyle Cruising, which revolutionized the industry by giving guests more freedom and flexibility. Today, Norwegian invites guests to “Cruise Like a Norwegian” on one of 13 purpose-built Freestyle Cruising ships, providing guests the opportunity to

enjoy a relaxed, resort style cruise vacation on some of the newest and most contemporary ships at sea. Recently, the line was named “Europe’s Leading Cruise Line” for the sixth consecutive year, as well as “Caribbean’s Leading Cruise Line” and “World’s Leading Large Ship Cruise Line” by the World Travel Awards.

I found an interesting article that pretty well describes NCL's position in revolutionizing the cruise industry. Your 12 year comment is a little short of the time frame NCL has been making innovations. See the attached information.

About Norwegian Cruise Line

Norwegian Cruise Line is the innovator in cruise travel with a 47-year history of breaking the boundaries of traditional cruising, most notably with the introduction of Freestyle Cruising, which revolutionized the industry by giving guests more freedom and flexibility. Today, Norwegian invites guests to “Cruise Like a Norwegian” on one of 13 purpose-built Freestyle Cruising ships, providing guests the opportunity to

enjoy a relaxed, resort style cruise vacation on some of the newest and most contemporary ships at sea. Recently, the line was named “Europe’s Leading Cruise Line” for the sixth consecutive year, as well as “Caribbean’s Leading Cruise Line” and “World’s Leading Large Ship Cruise Line” by the World Travel Awards.

Do you have a link for the article? Would love to read it in it's entirety. :)

Bill

Of course Royal Caribbean is copying NCL. I went over to the RCL board and read some of the comments. One of the RCL posters even said maybe we should just call the new ship "Norwegian of the Seas." LOL:D

BTW I cruise all the lines. Always do Freestyle, Personal Choice, MyTime, or whatever the cruiseline calls it. Getting to dislike formal nights too, so I'm happy with all the lines copying Norwegian.

I'm extremely happy with NCL, but this change in dining on Royal Caribbean would get me to take a look at their cruises. If there was an itinerary Royal offers that NCL doesn't... I love the freedom to eat where and when I want since it makes enjoying our vacation easier :cool:.

I'm extremely happy with NCL, but this change in dining on Royal Caribbean would get me to take a look at their cruises. If there was an itinerary Royal offers that NCL doesn't... I love the freedom to eat where and when I want since it makes enjoying our vacation easier :cool:.

It's only on Anthem and Quantum. Right now there are no plans to change any of the other ships away from traditional dining, according to the RCI rep posting on that forum.