Taronga zoo versus Australia Zoo

SeaFlorida

Just curious which is the better zoo? Will be in Sydney for 5 days before my cruise. The Australia Zoo would be an excursion from the ship.

Do Senior rates apply only to Australian Srs or can US Seniors take advantage of the lower rates?

Thanks

We visited both many years ago (in the 1990s) and returned to Australia Zoo in 2012. By then, Australia Zoo was much enlarged and more "commercialized" than it had been when we visited in 1996. (In 1996, it was still called the Queensland Reptile & Fauna Park.) Both zoos are interesting and worth a visit, in our view, but they are quite different. Taronga Zoo is a more traditional zoo, albeit located on a scenic stretch of Sydney Harbour, whereas Australia Zoo is well inland and less broadly focused, with a fair amount of emphasis on the Irwin family.

Taronga Zoo is easy to get to via a short and scenic ferry ride from Sydney's Circular Quay. In contrast, it is a significant drive (approx 40-45 mi as I recall, and subject to traffic delays) from Brisbane to Beerwah, the location of Australia Zoo. Especially if you have not been to Brisbane before, I suggest going to Taronga Zoo when you are in Sydney, and then using your day in Brisbane to see some of the many other sights in or near Brisbane. I suggest saving the Australia Zoo for some other visit when you can spend time on the Sunshine Coast north of Brisbane, with one day devoted to the Austr. Zoo.

John

Edited by J-D

Just curious which is the better zoo? Will be in Sydney for 5 days before my cruise. The Australia Zoo would be an excursion from the ship.

Do Senior rates apply only to Australian Srs or can US Seniors take advantage of the lower rates?

Thanks

As pointed out by J-D, Australia Zoo is not in Sydney so unless you plan on flying to Queensland it's really not an option for you. Incidentally, you can fly direct from Sydney to Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast which is closer and an easier drive than driving from Brisbane. The only downside is that there are less flights to Maroochydore than Brisbane (just a heads up for your next visit :D).

I'm sure you will enjoy Taronga Zoo and the ferry ride there and back.

If you don't have issues with mobility can I suggest you take a coastal walk along the cliff tops - say from Bondi to Bronte and enjoy the lovely Sydney coastal scenery. (We lived there for 16 years and just loved the coastal paths).

I hope you have a great time in Sydney. :)

As pointed out by J-D, Australia Zoo is not in Sydney so unless you plan on flying to Queensland it's really not an option for you. Incidentally, you can fly direct from Sydney to Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast which is closer and an easier drive than driving from Brisbane. The only downside is that there are less flights to Maroochydore than Brisbane (just a heads up for your next visit :D).

Bronte2, the OP did say that going to the Australia Zoo would be an excursion from the ship.

Why not go to Taronga Zoo while in Sydney then, if you want more interaction with animals, go to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary on your Brisbane port day.

Thanks so much to everyone for your input. We will do the Taronga Zoo while in Sydney. We are looking at a Royal Caribbean tour in Brisbane: Brisbane Sights and Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary.

Good choice. Its a long drive from Brisbane to the Zoo. Too much time in the bus when you only have 1 day in Brisbane . Lone Pine is great and you will get a look around Brisbane as well.:)

Thanks

Last year we visited the Taronga Western Plains Zoo in Sydney. First one takes the ferry ride across the harbor and after entering the zoo one takes the gondola ride up to the top. Wonderful aerial views from there! They did not accept my AARP card, but it would not hurt to try to get the senior rate; maybe the rules have changed. If you like ferry rides, the one to Manly is interesting and Manly is a lovely town to enjoy the beach or have lunch, or do both. Whatever you do, you will have a great time in wonderful Sydney!

Hendrika

Last year we visited the Taronga Western Plains Zoo in Sydney. First one takes the ferry ride across the harbor and after entering the zoo one takes the gondola ride up to the top. Wonderful aerial views from there! They did not accept my AARP card, but it would not hurt to try to get the senior rate; maybe the rules have changed. If you like ferry rides, the one to Manly is interesting and Manly is a lovely town to enjoy the beach or have lunch, or do both. Whatever you do, you will have a great time in wonderful Sydney!

Hendrika

Don't be confused here Taronga Zoo is in Sydney, western Plains Zoo is an open range type zoo in Dubbo NSW. Though they now combine both names, just pointing out thatif you say you want to go to Western Plains Zoo you'll get some funny looks in Sydney.

If you are staying in Sydney CBD get the ferry from Circular Quay, then take the Sky Lift [i think that's the name] to the top of the zoo, you get a great overview of the whole zoo and the walk back down to the bottom exit. This serves two purposes gives you an overview before you start and also means you walk downhill not uphill.

Bronte2, the OP did say that going to the Australia Zoo would be an excursion from the ship.

Why not go to Taronga Zoo while in Sydney then, if you want more interaction with animals, go to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary on your Brisbane port day.

My mistake :eek: I misunderstood the question.

It's definitely a long drive from Brisbane to Australia Zoo and the traffic can be quite bad. I have read complaints before that on an excursion from the ship you only get about 3 hours there which wasn't enough.

I hope you have a great time on your cruise.

If you go to the Taronga Zoo, make sure you go to the "free flight bird show". Not only is it an interesting show, the location of the outdoor theatre has a wonderful view of Sydney Harbour. Great spot for taking photos before or after the show. Also, take a gold coin with you, if you can, they do a trick during the show and ask for an adult volunteer with a gold coin.

If you go to the Taronga Zoo, make sure you go to the "free flight bird show". Not only is it an interesting show, the location of the outdoor theatre has a wonderful view of Sydney Harbour. Great spot for taking photos before or after the show. Also, take a gold coin with you, if you can, they do a trick during the show and ask for an adult volunteer with a gold coin.

Good information, the Free Flight Bird Show is very good and the view is fantastic. Its not to be missed if you make it to Taronga Zoo, I think its on a few times each day.

If you are staying in Sydney CBD get the ferry from Circular Quay, then take the Sky Lift [i think that's the name] to the top of the zoo, you get a great overview of the whole zoo and the walk back down to the bottom exit. This serves two purposes gives you an overview before you start and also means you walk downhill not uphill.

Just a note, that to be able to get the sky lift to the top of the zoo, you must already hold an entrance ticket, they'll check this before they let you through (you can buy one when you get your ferry ticket) otherwise they will make you get on a bus to the top of the zoo to purchase a ticket.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a thought... On arrival at Sydney International airport, there is a booklet available to inbound passengers in the hallways before Customs. It has vouchers in it for 10% off lots of attractions. Not absolutely sure whether Taronga is included (and whether you've arrived in Aus yet).