Question about Amex $500 OBC

aamiee

You are pushing it out a month but it's not 9 months out from your original booking anymore. However, it wouldn't hurt to ask. Perhaps if the October sailing is less full than the September one, they'd work with you. If you try and are successful, let us know!

I bought and paid for an August 2012 cruise in March 2012 and got the $500 OBC. I did not know there was a 9 month limit. I used a travel agent - I do not know if that makes a difference.

That's because the AMEX promotion that ended March 31, 2012 did not require the 9 months out. The one that began on April 1, 2012 is the current one and requires the booking be 9 months before sailing to get the OBC.

We had booked a suite with the Amex promotion back in March of this year for our upcoming cruise. We were booked in an SJ suite and had been wanting to upgrade to an SD suite. Because the promo had gone away our TA said if we upgraded we would lose the $500 OBC.

So this past Friday I noticed that the offer was back for our July sailing. I called my TA and asked if we could upgrade to the SD and still get the $500 OBC with the new promo. She called NCL to verify that this would be okay since it was for new bookings only. NCL said it was fine.

Long story short we are now in an SD suite and the $500 does show up on our NCL account.

I think on May 1 the Amex promo does not need the 9 months anymore. Also check because there were alot of sailings added for the Latitudes Promo. I get an extra 150 on both my reservations.

I think on May 1 the Amex promo does not need the 9 months anymore. Also check because there were alot of sailings added for the Latitudes Promo. I get an extra 150 on both my reservations.

No...the current version of the promo, which started on April 1 and runs through June 30 requires a 9 month advance booking.

No...the current version of the promo, which started on April 1 and runs through June 30 requires a 9 month advance booking.

I just booked a cruise leaving Dec 9 and used the promo. So there is no 9 month advance booking.

I can't say what you should get for a cruise that has already passed. But for a future booking do a Dummy booking and put in the code AMEXOBC and see if it give it to you. If you click on the cost it should say it in the lower right had side.

I just booked a cruise leaving Dec 9 and used the promo. So there is no 9 month advance booking.

I'm glad you got it, because here's what NCL has to say about it, and it has read that way from shortly after April 1. (And the fine print at the bottom of the page describing the promo also says 9 months advance booking required.) Either they changed the rules again but didn't change the wording of the Terms and Conditions on the web page, or you had some good fortune.

Exclusive offer for Cardmembers

Book The Haven or a Suite by June 30, 2012 for any 6+ day sailing booked 9 months in advance from sailing date and receive a $500 onboard credit. Simply pay in full with any American Express® Card and use promo code AMEXOBC when booking online.

We booked by phone directly thru NCL 3 weeks prior to our cruise on the Jewel on 4/14. We paid it all at that time on AMEX. Should we have had an onboard credit?:eek:

If you were booked in a suite you should have gotten it...but it doesn't get added to your booking simply by the act of paying with AMEX...the promotion code has to be input when the booking is made, and if you weren't aware of it and didn't request the promo, and the phone rep wasn't on the ball either it, you wouldn't have gotten it.

I'm glad you got it, because here's what NCL has to say about it, and it has read that way from shortly after April 1. (And the fine print at the bottom of the page describing the promo also says 9 months advance booking required.) Either they changed the rules again but didn't change the wording of the Terms and Conditions on the web page, or you had some good fortune.

Exclusive offer for Cardmembers

Book The Haven or a Suite by June 30, 2012 for any 6+ day sailing booked 9 months in advance from sailing date and receive a $500 onboard credit. Simply pay in full with any American Express® Card and use promo code AMEXOBC when booking online.

I don't want to argue with you but I just did a Dummy booking for 2 weeks from now, used the AMEXOBC code and it gives me the $500 obc.

You are right it still stays "9 Months" on the NCL site, but it must of not been updated on there.

I don't want to argue with you but I just did a Dummy booking for 2 weeks from now, used the AMEXOBC code and it gives me the $500 obc.

You are right it still stays "9 Months" on the NCL site, but it must of not been updated on there.

I'm not arguing...I was just pointing out what their published terms and conditions say.

Either the published terms and conditions are wrong (they definitely were imposing the 9 month requirement in April...there was a thread discussing it) or they have a systems error that is allowing the OBC when it shouldn't. Something is wrong...it's a question of what.

We booked our suite using an Amex promo for our cruise in September.

If we change the date to October will the promo still apply?

TIA :)

We changed our booking (through our PCC) from December 2012 to January 2013 with no problems. :D

However :rolleyes: over the weekend something made me wonder about NCL's "must be paid in full with AMEX" wording. Other posters had asked about this on previous threads, and I was sure I knew the correct answer. Well, maybe not LOL

My PCC says the deposit had to be made with AMEX (and it was) and then our final in October has to be made with AMEX (and it will be). But this weekend I got a "cruise deals" email from a TA and it mentioned this promo. So I looked at it, and in their promo terms and conditions it says:

Sale begins 6:01pm Central Time ("CT") on January 01, 2012 and ends at 10:59pm CT on June 30, 2012 (the "Offer Period"). This Offer is valid only for qualifying Norwegian Cruise Line cruise bookings paid in full (deposit and final payment) with any American Express Card during the Offer Period.

Hmmm. They show final must be paid "during the Offer Period" - and that offer period ends in June. NCL just shows "must be paid in full" with no date listed.

I asked my PCC again, and even asked that he might check with accounting or the department that will be applying the promotion, and his reply is to still just pay the final in October. It's nagging at me now though...do you have any recourse if you are told one thing and then another department denies your request?

What's everyone else doing? Waiting to pay their final? I wonder if I should go ahead and pay our final in June instead of October, just to cover our bases. I really don't want to lose our credit, in my mind I already have it spent onboard LOL

I asked my TA too as long as I paid everything with my Amex by my final payment in July we still get the OBC

We changed our booking (through our PCC) from December 2012 to January 2013 with no problems. :D

However :rolleyes: over the weekend something made me wonder about NCL's "must be paid in full with AMEX" wording. Other posters had asked about this on previous threads, and I was sure I knew the correct answer. Well, maybe not LOL

My PCC says the deposit had to be made with AMEX (and it was) and then our final in October has to be made with AMEX (and it will be). But this weekend I got a "cruise deals" email from a TA and it mentioned this promo. So I looked at it, and in their promo terms and conditions it says:

Sale begins 6:01pm Central Time ("CT") on January 01, 2012 and ends at 10:59pm CT on June 30, 2012 (the "Offer Period"). This Offer is valid only for qualifying Norwegian Cruise Line cruise bookings paid in full (deposit and final payment) with any American Express Card during the Offer Period.

Hmmm. They show final must be paid "during the Offer Period" - and that offer period ends in June. NCL just shows "must be paid in full" with no date listed.

I asked my PCC again, and even asked that he might check with accounting or the department that will be applying the promotion, and his reply is to still just pay the final in October. It's nagging at me now though...do you have any recourse if you are told one thing and then another department denies your request?

What's everyone else doing? Waiting to pay their final? I wonder if I should go ahead and pay our final in June instead of October, just to cover our bases. I really don't want to lose our credit, in my mind I already have it spent onboard LOL

SeaHunt, we were told just pay the final payment with the AMEX used for deposit... we did not pay in full, either. Our final is due in October for a Jan-2013 cruise.

aamiee (OP) - glad you were able to make the change!

njhorseman - "Something is wrong" but oh so right :D

I asked my TA too as long as I paid everything with my Amex by my final payment in July we still get the OBC

SeaHunt, we were told just pay the final payment with the AMEX used for deposit... we did not pay in full, either. Our final is due in October for a Jan-2013 cruise.

Thanks so much for letting me know! :D

Please post if anyone experiences any problems with actually getting their promo $ onboard - we can stick up for each other LOL

Here is what is said on NCL site

Here is what is said on NCL site

This is what it now says:

"Exclusive offer for Cardmembers

Book The Haven or a Suite by June 30, 2012 for any 6+ day sailing and receive a $500 onboard credit. Simply pay in full with any American Express® Card and use promo code AMEXOBC when booking online."

They have removed the 9 month restriction. Get your $500 obc while you can.

Archived