Southwest Airlines

MRF777

Does anyone know if any cruise lines use Southwest Airlines for Cruise Air?..I have never had them and I hope I dont get them either. I just watched the A&E show called "Airline" and a bunch of Carnival Cruise passnengers missed there cruise because of overbooking. Southwest will NOT book you on another carrier if they overbook a flight. You have to wait until a seat is open on another flight, which may cause you to miss the cruise.

Scandinavian Sun

Emerald Seas

Island Princess

Seaward

Norway

Westward

Sensation

Facsination

Majesty of the Seas

Dawn Princess

Inspiration

Norwegian Dream

Norwegian Sun

Grandeur of the Seas (June 2002)

Carnival Paradise (Sept 2002)

Grand Princess (June 2003)

Disney Magic (Sept 2003)

Diamond Princess (June 2004)

Here we come for our honeymoon on the Diamond Princess!!

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=6>

<param name="day" value=11>

<param name="hour" value=17>

</applet>

I've booked Southwest myself before a cruise, but went a day ahead just so that doesn't happen. Yes, they do overbook, but usually someone will step-up and volunteer to take the next plane (they get travel vouchers). It would suprise me if a cruise line used them--it was my understanding that the cruise line would hold a ship or would be somehow responsible to get you to the ship.

Thanks so much, that is REALLY good information...I usually price them when researching air prices as they DO have some attractive fares from our air gateway.

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/04

Star Princess 10/04

Carnival Spirit 12/04

You probably would be ok if you go a day before the cruise... I think I would choose Continental or Delta first though.

Scandinavian Sun

Emerald Seas

Island Princess

Seaward

Norway

Westward

Sensation

Facsination

Majesty of the Seas

Dawn Princess

Inspiration

Norwegian Dream

Norwegian Sun

Disney Magic (Sept 2003)

Here we come for our honeymoon on the Diamond Princess

June 12,2004

just remember that you are the master of your destiny. leave the day before and that way if life come up with snake eyes you can still get to your ship on time. all airlines overbook....not just southwest. they do not offer advance seat assignments, but if you book on the internet or go ticketless with one person on each reservation, you can check in at home before you leave for the airport.and get your boarding document.

rabid swa fan

Nordic Prince 88 Homeric 89 Seaward 89 Sovereign 94 Majesty 01 Disney Wonder 02 Jewel 04

AFAIK - the cruise lines do not use Southwest. However, SWA has one of the highest passenger satisfaction rating of all major carriers. Don't go by the TV show. Of course, they're only going to show you the problems.

The way to insure you get a seat on SWA is to show up at the airport early. It's the last folks to show up at the check-in counter that get bumped. This happens on ALL the airlines.

I personally never had a problem with SWA and I recommend them very highly.

Sovereign of the Seas (11/89)

Monarch of the Seas (8/99)

Norwegian Sea (7/02)

Carnival Glory (4/17/04)

But when SWA overbooks a flight they will not put you on another airline...most airlines will.

Scandinavian Sun

Emerald Seas

Island Princess

Seaward

Norway

Westward

Sensation

Facsination

Majesty of the Seas

Dawn Princess

Inspiration

Norwegian Dream

Norwegian Sun

Disney Magic (Sept 2003)

Here we come for our honeymoon on the Diamond Princess

June 12,2004

I love Southwest. I've flown with them for many years. One really great thing about them is if you need to cancel a flight that is non-refundable, they put your full refund in an account to be used against a future flight. How many airlines will do that? However, I usually only use them for short trips as they don't have as many direct fights as other airlines, but then they are half the price.

1972 - Song of Norway, Caribbean

1980 - Hawaii American Curise line, Tahiti

09/01/2002 - Veendam, Alaska

05/29/2003 - Pacific Princess, Alaska

11/26/2003 - Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand

5/28/2004 - Star Princess, Venice to Barcelona

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

11/06/2004 - Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Southwest is great to use from Nashville. We can fly for less and generally a direct flight because it is a hub. If you get to the airport early, you will not have any trouble. I saved a ton of money for my cruise by flying SW to FLL and using American to San Juan. Of course I am also going in 3 days early to visit friends on the island. icon_smile.gif

Judy

Cruisin in July on the Golden Princess

yeah, southwest is good....at what they do, BUT they also will not "inter-line" bags like other carriers. Meaning, they will not check luggage through for your entire trip like other airlines do. If you fly them to Florida then connect to American, you have to re-claim your luggage and re-check it with American. Its one way Southwest keeps their baggage handling numbers looking good.

Celebrity Century-eastern carribean-2001 icon_smile.gif

Celebrity Constellation-2002icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Princess Coral-Panama Canal-Dec 2003 icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Golden Princess-Southern Exotic Caribbean-Oct. 2004

It just keeps getting better

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;10;24;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question about Southwest.

I understand that Southwest boards passengers in three groups: A, B, and C. Also, I understand that seats are never assigned. Passengers select an available seat when they get on the plane.

How many hours in advance of the plane's departure should one arrive at the Southwest counter for check in to ensure that they would board in the first group?

Thanks

Mark Ericksen

Clearwater, FL

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;12;5;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Celebrity Infinity Circle Hawaii Cruise

You can print out your boarding pas which gives the group assignment from their website starting at 0001 on the day of travel.

Bill D

RCCL Song of Norway 7/79?

CCL ? 12/84

RCCL Viking Serenade 7/01

RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 12/01

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 5/02

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 7/02

RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 12/02

Princess Grand Princess 6/03

RCCL Voyager of the Seas 12/03

RCCL Vision of the Seas 3/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Rhapsody of the Seas 5/30/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;12;20;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Empress of the Seas 12/20/2004

P.S.

You can print out the boarding pass and then go to the counter or outside to check your bags when you show up at the airport.

I have flown them several times on the day after school is out for a holiday and gave up my seat for travel vouchers, and then go on the next flight. Another reason to fly in a day ahead.

Bill D

CCL ? 12/84

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Rhapsody of the Seas 5/30/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;12;20;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Empress of the Seas 12/20/2004

springtxbill

thanks for the information about printing the boarding pass from the Southwest website. It appears as though one can only print the pass if they are the only person on that confirmation number. So two flyers ( my wife and I are flying together) on one confirmation number would still have to check in at the desk. Am I correct?

Should my wife and I book the flight using separate confirmation numbers to take advantage of the Web check in process or should I just book under 1 confirmation number and check in at the counter?

If I check in at the Southwest counter should I check in say 4 hours ahead of the flight to get an early number or am I being too extreme here?

I haven't flown in a plane in 25 years so I'm a rookie.

Thanks

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;12;5;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I believe that if you are both on the same confirmation number, a screen pops up and will give a choice of which person to print the pass for. To make sure you might call there 800-IFLYSWA number and ask. To erase any doubt, just book under separate numbers.

4 hours may be extreme, but you never really know. Most of the time 2 hours will get you at least in the second group or possibly in the first. I believe there are 45 in each group.

I had rather print mine out (if I have access to a computer) and then showing up about an hour before the flight to allow for checking the bags and security.

Bill D

CCL ? 12/84

springtxbill

Thanks for the reply. I called Southwest reservations today to ask my question about Web check in when more than one passenger is on a single confirmation number. I was told it can't be done.

For Web check in each passenger would have to be booked separately, and doing this really doesn't create any extra issues. My wife and I getting on the plane without any problems.

When people call Southwest to book flights, and Web check in is requested, the agent separates the bookings to get separate confirmation numbers.

I am very afraid of flying so I thought Southwest would be a good airline to use. You know, they have never had a fatal accident. So I will be boarding the plane, in a tranquilized state, knowing I will probably get there in one piece.

Thanks for all of the great information.

San Diego, here I come.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI-

The document you are talking about printing the day before is not a boarding pass or confirmed seat. This just lets you go through the security checkpoint. If you are checking bags, you still go to the ticket counter. Depending on how close you are to the flight, they may give your boarding card with the letter A, B or C. Then you go through security and wait at the gate. If you are early for the flight, you go through security and wait for the gate to open (1 hour prior to take off)and get your A, B or C boarding pass then. First come, first served.

Each airport is different. The wait time through security in Birmingham is not as long as in Chicago. It also depends on the day you are traveling and the time of day. Just give yourself plenty of time, and you don't have to worry about being without a seat. If you notice anything about the Airline show, the people who don't get a seat or miss a flight are the ones who show up 30 minutes before take off and expect to breeze through checkin and security.

I always fly Southwest. Once you get used to how they do things, it is a breeze. Just get to the airport early.

You can print out your boarding pass on the day of the flight. Even if you are checking bags you can show the person at the counter and all they have to do is enter the bag info and tag the bags. Speeds things up a bit and gets you that magic A group.

There is also a security document that you can print out I believe the day before, but why bother.

Bill D

CCL ? 12/84

Depends on if you have booked online or have a paper ticket. You can also use the kiosks, the list goes on.....But you are right, the goal is to get the magic A.

Whatever you do, get to the airport in plenty of time.icon_smile.gif

• 1 month later...

Speaking of Southwest, does anyone have a ballpark idea of when the flights for April 2005 might be on the site? They are only until 10-29-2004.

We have our cruise booked, but cannot even think of booking our airfair until December when my husband gets to pick his weeks of vacation. (He works in a papermill and they pick by seniority). Just looking at what is outthere now SWA looks like they might have the best prices, and would be a one flight trip. Midway to FLL.

The fact that they do not have assigned seats first had me scared, but since we are travelling with our children (who will both be 4 when travel) we are able to have preboarding.

TIA

Barb

I am using SWA to Houston for a cruise, best prices but they fly into Hobby and cruise lines do not offer transfers to the pier. SWA usually opens bookings around 120 days prior to time of travel. They are usually in a 2 week cycle, but it does vary. If you call they tell you the website is updated first.

Make sure to also check the price from competing airlines. I always find that American Airlines matches Southwest's prices from Los Angeles to most cruise ports in Florida. I much prefer AA's flight schedules. Southwest has way too many connections for my taste, and as was mentioned before, they do not interline with other carriers. If your flight is cancelled, you are stuck flying on the next available Southwest flight. For people like me who arrive on the same day as the cruise, that can be a nightmare.

I love Southwest Airlines. I fly the line from Los Angeles at least five to six times a year going back and forth to Utah for my son's football games. I have also taken SW for some quick "get-a-way" trips to Phoenix. They do have good fares, but going across the country you'll have two to three stops.

As far as A-B-C...I always check-in at the kiosks using my Rapid Rewards card. I have only have a "B" boarding pass once and there was still no problem finding a good seat.

Archived