Why the big price difference between cruises?

no1volman

I've been researching cruises on Carnivals website for a cruise this June. I've found 3 different 7 day cruises available for the week I'm looking for. Just looking at the "from" prices that are shown, one of them is much higher than the other 2. I'm just curious what makes it more valuable. They are as follows:

From $429, The Valor from Port Canaveral: Nassau, St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk

From $419, The Dream from New Orleans: Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel

From $639, The Fantasy from Charleston, SC: Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau

The Fantasy and Valor have similar ports (actually the Fantasy only has 3 ports). So why is the Fantasy so much more expensive? Is it that much better a ship?

Another problem cruise lines face is "filling the ship with passengers", if two out of three ships fill up quick and still more people want to sail on those two cruises they run short of space and put the prices up. If they still find that even more people want those two cruises they put the price up again. The one cruise they cannot get people to book will have it's prices dropped until people start booking that one.

Regards John.

I've been researching cruises on Carnivals website for a cruise this June. I've found 3 different 7 day cruises available for the week I'm looking for. Just looking at the "from" prices that are shown, one of them is much higher than the other 2. I'm just curious what makes it more valuable. They are as follows:

From $429, The Valor from Port Canaveral: Nassau, St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk

From $419, The Dream from New Orleans: Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel

The Fantasy and Valor have similar ports (actually the Fantasy only has 3 ports). So why is the Fantasy so much more expensive? Is it that much better a ship?

I think (based on my own experience) that cruises that stop in Half Moon Cay cost a premium.

I've only been on the Sunshine. I don't know anything about the other ships. Sounds like the Fantasy isn't that great of a ship. How about between the Valor and Dream? The Valor sails Saturday to Saturday which I like. Dream is Sunday to Sunday. But we did the western Caribbean last year. And the Dream is the eastern Caribbean. If you take the ports out of it which is the better ship?

It has nothing to do with ship quality and everything to do with port competition. The Fantasy is one of the only "budget" options in that area so locals or people in surrounding states that want to sail without flying have little choice, spiking demand for a less desirable ship. (Maybe the Pride out of Baltimore is the only other ship anywhere close to an affordable price in the area) The Valor is in the middle of a mess of ships and options in Florida, and the Dream competes with other ships in New Orleans, and Galveston.

I've researched many of the same itineraries (and posted my share of threads asking for advice), and the Dream is far and away considered the best ship of this bunch by most people.

I sailed on the Fantasy last year on the first week of June and it was a 7 days cruise to the same ports that you mentioned. I booked it about 4 weeks before we set sailed on her at the cost of $389 per person in an ocean view room for 2 people. The price will drop around 5-7 weeks before sailing so hopefully it will drop more in the next month for you. But summer months are more expensive for Charleston also.

I think (based on my own experience) that cruises that stop in Half Moon Cay cost a premium.

Yes, iconoclast, you are correct. We've experience that in the past.

In 2016 we're doing a B2B on Glory from Miami. They are both 7 day cruises. The one that includes Half Moon Cay is $100 more for an inside cabin than the other 7 day cruise.

Simple: Economics, cost of operating and supply and demand. Where I work if something isn't selling reduce the price. If you are selling a lot raise the price until sales fall off and then reduce the price just a little bit.

Edited by cmptrwiz

I want to know how you're seeing that price for the Dream! We're booked June 14, early saver, and every time I look (at least twice a day!), all June prices are considerably more than what you show! (I check for 2 people in a room, and for 4 people, since that's what we have booked!)

I sure agree with what the others have posted. Dream would be my choice for a ship. So much more to offer than the other 2, especially Fantasy. The itin's on the the other 2 would be my choices though, either of them. I have been to Grand Turk. It's one of my favorites. Half Moon is a goal of mine. Sounds amazing.

I would take Fantasy at some point, if the price were right. But the price for Fantasy is way high for that ship. Also it is the oldest ship in Carnival's fleet.

I usually book within 6 weeks of departure, but I have never traveled in June, so the prices may not drop closer in, as they do during off-peak times. There are a lot of options with Carnival. Not sure if you are choosing these too, because of your geographical location. How about Carnival Sunshine from Port Canaveral?

Too learn about the ships, look them up on Carnival's site. Also a great site is shipparade.com. A lot of facts and figures there along with some great photos.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions, jsamuel2@tampabay.rr.com.

I think some people need to do a little reading about basics Economics and supply and demand. ;)

Fantasy is the only ship sailing from Charleston. Many people don't want to fly so it's a semi-convenient port for many people in the SE or along the Eastern Seaboard.

Charleston is also a great city as a tourist attraction all on it's own.

I couldn't care less about the ship I'm on. I've been on Fantasy for >30 days and love the old gal.

Since there's no competition and high demand, yes, prices are generally higher. And since the 7-night itinerary isn't as common, that increases the demand even more. And since she's a smaller ship (which means fewer berths which means it fills more quickly), there's little reason to have lower prices.

I think some people need to do a little reading about basics Economics and supply and demand. ;)

Fantasy is the only ship sailing from Charleston. Many people don't want to fly so it's a semi-convenient port for many people in the SE or along the Eastern Seaboard.

Charleston is also a great city as a tourist attraction all on it's own.

I couldn't care less about the ship I'm on. I've been on Fantasy for >30 days and love the old gal.

Since there's no competition and high demand, yes, prices are generally higher. And since the 7-night itinerary isn't as common, that increases the demand even more. And since she's a smaller ship (which means fewer berths which means it fills more quickly), there's little reason to have lower prices.

Yeah, agreed, re: supply and demand. We have the same problem here in the Tampa Bay area. Most usually the prices are quite a bit higher than the major 3 east coast Florida ports, even with 6 ships home-porting here during the Fall through Spring season.

Also the itin's here focus for the most part on the western Caribbean, which no longer is a goal for me. Well unless the price were right, then sign me up. So convenient to leave from a port 30 minutes from my home.

Geographically the bay area cannot reach the eastern Caribbean on a 7 day trip, although recently some of the lines are offering 9,10,14 day trips to eastern and southern itineraries. Nothing regular, just here and there, but a bonus, as traditionally, they have been 7 days at the most, to the western Caribbean.