Shopping items, what is St Martin known for

Bernieg61

Hello,

We will be going to St Martin on our cruise leaving Oct 1st. What is St. Martin know for as far as shopping. What are some must haves from the island? Also, St Thomas too, I am going to post on that site, but if anyone has any answers please let me know. thanks for your help!

Jeannie

Gee - I love to shop and boy did we shop in St. Martin. For everything, we got really good deals on jewelry (tanzanite and diamonds) there, as well as the best prices on alcohol and tobacco. We also found lots of fun, gift type items to take home. Be careful, it's easy to spend your whole time shopping in these two places. My friend did get a new camcorder in St. Thomas for a great deal as well as more jewelry there also.

I still have all my shopping stuff on both ports if you want to give me your e-mail address I will scan a few of them to you.

Have a great time!

The island of St. Martin/St.Marteen is known for its quavaberry rum manufactured from quavaberries that grow profusely about the island. I believe it is the only place where you can purchase true quavaberry rum although some other islands in the Caribbean have rums that are flavored with quavaberry.

We will be in St. Martin twice over the next six months and I plan to bring back our quota of the rum both times. :D

Dianne

St Maarten has one of the best selections of fancy colored diamonds available in the Caribbean. (Blues, yellows, pinks, greens etc) Visit Shoppers Haven, Ballerina, Omnis.

They also are home to one of the better resources of Pearls available in North America.....Pearl Gems.

Shivas is rated as one of the Leading Jewelers in the world. They carry an outstanding collection of fine watches and fine Jewelery.

You may also want to check out the Belgian Chocolate shop. Melt in your mouth chocolates that they will deliver directly to your cabin on your ship.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Best shopping is on Front St in P'burg for liquor, cigs, everything else. These are standard brands like Absolute, Dewars, Tanqueray. Some shops sell 86 proof scotch. For cognac and Frech brandies and

cordials then you want to shop in Marigot at the port Royale or the supermarket. It is also where you buy great French cheeses, pates and bread to enjoy in your cabin. French fashion is as expensive as Paris.

There are wonderful souveniers around the port as well as great lunch places.

If you go to the Original Guavaberry Rum Emporium sample the rums (watch out, though they pack a kick), but DON'T miss their hot sauces. The XXX Fire Sauce is practically inedible and the Habanero Lime sauce is excellent with fish and in Bloody Mary's. They have sets that make great gifts. The caribbean is known for spicy food, so don't forget to bring some spice home!

If you go to the Original Guavaberry Rum Emporium sample the rums (watch out, though they pack a kick), but DON'T miss their hot sauces. The XXX Fire Sauce is practically inedible and the Habanero Lime sauce is excellent with fish and in Bloody Mary's. They have sets that make great gifts. The caribbean is known for spicy food, so don't forget to bring some spice home!

Ok so where is the Original Guavaberry Rum Emporium? This sounds like somewhere I would like to go!:D

Ok so where is the Original Guavaberry Rum Emporium? This sounds like somewhere I would like to go!:D

I's been almost 3 years since our last stop there, but as I remember it -- you get off the ship at the dock and walk to Front Street. Hang a right and you'r bound to find it - specially if you ask every vendor along the way if you're on the right path to the Quavaberry Rum store. :)

You might want to lay a trail of popcorn or peanuts on your way to make sure you can find your way back to the ship. It can be a long walk back according to the number of free tastings you imbibe. :D

Dianne

I's been almost 3 years since our last stop there, but as I remember it -- you get off the ship at the dock and walk to Front Street. Hang a right and you'r bound to find it - specially if you ask every vendor along the way if you're on the right path to the Quavaberry Rum store. :)

You might want to lay a trail of popcorn or peanuts on your way to make sure you can find your way back to the ship. It can be a long walk back according to the number of free tastings you imbibe. :D

Dianne

Thanks LOL! It sounds like you walked to Front Street, some people have suggested to take the water taxi over to Front Street I am a little confused! Well thanks for the directions!

From the ship you take the water taxi over to Front St. Once you are there you will have to walk down Front St as it is a long street with many shops and liquor stores. I had a GREAT time sampling and purchased guavaberry rum and a few other cordials. I was a bit wobbly making my way back to the water taxi but hey they all tasted so darn good!

You take the water taxi if you are docked. You can walk, but it is a hike. If you are tendered, the tenders let you off right in the middle of all of the shopping. There were beers for $1 right near where the tenders drop you off when we were there in Dec. I'll be in St. Maarten next week. I can't wait. It will be my 3rd time there. We spent a week there for our honeymoon. It is my favorite island by far. Have a blast. I know I will!!!

You take the water taxi if you are docked. You can walk, but it is a hike. If you are tendered, the tenders let you off right in the middle of all of the shopping. There were beers for $1 right near where the tenders drop you off when we were there in Dec. I'll be in St. Maarten next week. I can't wait. It will be my 3rd time there. We spent a week there for our honeymoon. It is my favorite island by far. Have a blast. I know I will!!!

Beer for a $1 great! Hope you have a great time and please post when you return and let us know how St. Martin goes! Thanks for the info:o

Get the all day water taxi pass - I think it was $6.00. Anyway we took it too one spot walked the beach and shopped the little huts all the way to town. Did some more shopping on Front Street, my friend had so much stuff she could hardly carry it all, so she took the taxi back to the ship and put her stuff in the room while I stayed on the beach by Front Street and then she came back and we wandered some more, and when we were done we hopped on the taxi again to get back to the ship. It was a great inexpensive way to get around the shopping area. We will be there again in February and I intend to use the water taxi again.

P.S. I'll email you those shopping things tomorrow from work/the e-mail will be from kelly@fencecon.com

Happy Shopping! I mean Cruising!

Archived