Tendering in Newhaven for Edinburgh with photos

There was a large ship (P&O Britannia) anchored off Newhaven today and I was down there "on duty". I thought it might be worth posting some photos so you can see what the tender operation is like.

The ship was anchored quite a way offshore and it must have taken 15-20 minutes to get to the port.

19523116902_db609738f0_b.jpg

Anchored off Inchcolm island

19503706286_11954f1d58_b.jpg

The tender approaching the harbour entrance

19343299339_4b49cb0d2e_b.jpg

The tender point

18908936883_9fab3f15a1_b.jpg

A wider view of the harbour.

I apologise for the quality of these photos but I must have touched the sepia button on my phone.

The cruise line today offered a transfer to Ocean terminal for the Royal Yacht Britannia and various buses. However from the other side of the harbour you could:

19341883890_85bf300161_b.jpg

Get The Majestic line hop-on/ho-off post

19529795315_776b959cb9_b.jpg

OR

catch a Number 16 bus to Princes Street. It says COLINTON on the front. It is the bus stop on the same side as the harbour, opposite the old church

19343300429_10fcf4534d_b.jpg

19503692936_510a6508ab_b.jpg

You can also catch a Number 10 bus from outside the apartment block beside the Brewer's Fayre restaurant on the pier.

18908940033_d6e449a545_b.jpg

19341879430_312047d8b7_b.jpg

There should be a piper(s) to greet you. It was P&O Britannia's inaugural visit to Edinburgh so they also had pipers and drummers on the ship!

18907292974_e15343c74e_b.jpg

if you have any questions I will try to help.

Yes there were taxis there (black cabs) today Peteymill. You just had to walk straight ahead towards the restaurant Brewers Fayre. The taxis were in front of that to your right.

Glad you've got your train tickets. That will make things easier - no worries on the day.

Edited by tartanexile81

There was a large ship (P&O Britannia) anchored off Newhaven today and I was down there "on duty". I thought it might be worth posting some photos so you can see what the tender operation is like.

The ship was anchored quite a way offshore and it must have taken 15-20 minutes to get to the port.

I apologise for the quality of these photos but I must have touched the sepia button on my phone.[/size]

Thanks very much for your great report! Will we get to meet you there when we arrive on the Celebrity Silhouette on July 18th?

Sam

Thanks very much for your great report! Will we get to meet you there when we arrive on the Celebrity Silhouette on July 18th?

Sam

Hope it's useful.

No I'm on holiday next week so have a great time in Edinburgh and just look out for the volunteers in purple jackets on the quayside if you've got any questions

• 3 months later...

Hello tartan exile, I found this thread from another thread where you posted a link. I appreciate the photos and information.

Is tendering a frequent problem due to sea conditions? I am booked on Regent Voyager 6/6 out of London with a stop at Edinburgh 6/9.

We were scheduled to dock at Lieth, but the cruise line just notified us that we would be tendering from anchorage at Newhaven. I am concerned that sea conditions could result in a port cancelation if swells were too big.

do you think tendering at that time of year would be iffy proposition?

Would appreciate any advice.

Hello tartan exile, I found this thread from another thread where you posted a link. I appreciate the photos and information.

Is tendering a frequent problem due to sea conditions? I am booked on Regent Voyager 6/6 out of London with a stop at Edinburgh 6/9.

We were scheduled to dock at Lieth, but the cruise line just notified us that we would be tendering from anchorage at Newhaven. I am concerned that sea conditions could result in a port cancelation if swells were too big.

do you think tendering at that time of year would be iffy proposition?

Would appreciate any advice.

To my knowledge it's only happened once in the last three years. As with any tender operation, however, there's always a risk. We had a HAL ship in a bit further down the river and I was due to run a hospitality desk on it. We spent 90 minutes waiting for things to settle before tender operations could begin but it did. One of the Celebrity ships couldn't tender one day but luckily they were in overnight. I'm very surprised you've been changed from Leith on a ship the size of RV but I know the port authority is promoting Newhaven and dredging work has ben carried out to try to minimise any potential disruptions

To my knowledge it's only happened once in the last three years. As with any tender operation, however, there's always a risk. We had a HAL ship in a bit further down the river and I was due to run a hospitality desk on it. We spent 90 minutes waiting for things to settle before tender operations could begin but it did. One of the Celebrity ships couldn't tender one day but luckily they were in overnight. I'm very surprised you've been changed from Leith on a ship the size of RV but I know the port authority is promoting Newhaven and dredging work has ben carried out to try to minimise any potential disruptions

So Tartanexile81 does Celebrity tender at Leith or Newhaven ? Are both the same proximity to Enterprise rental? Hoping to use your previous advice about rental car to St Andrews.

Thanks

Shirley

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

In prior posts from Tartanexile81, there is a city bus #16, #10 ,

HOHO, and taxi that can be used to get into Edinburgh, near the Royal Mile.

From your post, if ship larger than a yacht, calls in Newhaven, it is to be tendered definitely.

For a Saturday in September, port time 8AM-6PM: what is the best mode of transport?

1.How early does the #16, 10 ,HOHO start the first run?

2.How frequent, How long it takes to get to Prince Street/Royal Mile area?

3.Is there a website to look up the bus schedule?

4.How/where does one purchase the bus tickets?

5.Is there a direct train that may be more efficient and less time consuming to get into the central area in Edinburgh from Newhaven tender port area?.

6.Are taxis easy to hail from the harbor/ranks on Saturday or need to be pre-booked? approximate cost?

Thanks for any further info from locals or prior cruisers.

vic

In prior posts from Tartanexile81, there is a city bus #16, #10 , HOHO, and taxi that can be used to get into Edinburgh, near the Royal Mile.

From your post, if ship larger than a yacht, calls in Newhaven, it is to be tendered definitely.

I've taken both a taxi and a bus into Edinburgh from the hotel at Newhaven. I've never been there during a cruise ship call so can't comment on the best way, or times, to travel.

This is the Journey Planner from Lothian buses.

Hope this helps, I'm sure someone else will be able to give more detail.

• 7 months later...

We will be arriving on RCL Brilliance of the seas on May 17,2018 They claim we will be tendering to Rosyth instead of Leiith. This is an inconvenience in getting to Edinburgh.

Is there transportation via shuttle busses from Rosyth into Edinburgh. The cruise line says there should be but they are not involved as they are third party participants. I also read that it is possible to dock in Rosyth. As the only ship in port that day, I am suprised that they don't use Newhaven.

Thanks

Dave

We will be arriving on RCL Brilliance of the seas on May 17,2018 They claim we will be tendering to Rosyth instead of Leiith. This is an inconvenience in getting to Edinburgh.

Is there transportation via shuttle busses from Rosyth into Edinburgh. The cruise line says there should be but they are not involved as they are third party participants. I also read that it is possible to dock in Rosyth. As the only ship in port that day, I am suprised that they don't use Newhaven.

Thanks

Dave

Edinburgh has four cruise ports and by order of proximity to the city centre they are`; - Leith (dock) Newhaven (tender), South Queensferry (tender) and Rosyth (dock). As you can see, neither Leith nor Rosyth are tender ports so I'm a little confused by the question. However I would be very surprised if she docks in either as she exceeds the maximum size as far as I am aware.

It is also nonsense of the cruise line to suggest that it is the responsibility of the third party to supply a shuttle bus. The various lines that come into Rosyth offer different options: some provide a free shuttle bus to Waterloo Place in Edinburgh; some provide a chargeable shuttle to Edinburgh; others provide a shuttle to the nearest railway station (Inverkeithing) and again some lines provide this for free whilst others charge. If none of these things happen, there are plenty of taxis from the terminal to the railway station (£9) or Edinburgh (£40). This price is per car not per person. There is a shuttle bus at SQ run by a local business but other than that I have never seen a shuttle bus at any of the other ports although some lines operate an "Edinburgh On Your Own" transfer

All the third party (Forth Ports) provides is a shuttle between the ship and the terminal in Rosyth as it is an industrial port and no walking is allowed.

Thank you for your response! I will inquire again with Royal to see if I can get a straight answer. The itinerary shows tendered in Edinburgh. Newhaven is the easiest for private tours and accessibility. In 2017 they used vision of the sea a smaller ship

Thank you for your response! I will inquire again with Royal to see if I can get a straight answer. The itinerary shows tendered in Edinburgh. Newhaven is the easiest for private tours and accessibility. In 2017 they used vision of the sea a smaller ship

Newhaven is a tender port and Celebrity and RCI usually use it so I expect that is the answer.

In prior posts from Tartanexile81, there is a city bus #16, #10 ,

HOHO, and taxi that can be used to get into Edinburgh, near the Royal Mile.

For a Saturday in September, port time 8AM-6PM: what is the best mode of transport?

1.How early does the #16, 10 ,HOHO start the first run?

2.How frequent, How long it takes to get to Prince Street/Royal Mile area?

4.How/where does one purchase the bus tickets?

5.Is there a direct train that may be more efficient and less time consuming to get into the central area in Edinburgh from Newhaven tender port area?.

6.Are taxis easy to hail from the harbor/ranks on Saturday or need to be pre-booked? approximate cost?

Thanks for any further info from locals or prior cruisers.

vic

Having just come back from the NCL Jade, which tendered in Newhaven, my advice would be to download the Lothian Bus app to your phone before you arrive. We were able to get international phone service for $10 a day through Verizon (many phone carriers offer roaming plans as well) and the app was a lifesaver! Just punch in your destination (or drag and drop a pin if you know where you want to go on the map) and it will tell you which bus (or busses) to take, where to pick it up, how long your trip will take, and where the bus is en route. It also shows where you are once you are on the bus, so you know when to get off!

Bus fares are 1.60 GBP for adults one way or 4 GBP for an all day pass. If you are traveling with kids, they have a family all-day pass for 8.50 GBP, which allows for unlimited rides for up to 2 adults and 3 kids (I think). Note that they only accept exact change on the bus, but you can purchase electronic tickets through the app (I believe that a second "ticket" app download may be required) using your credit card.

As for your questions about bus schedules, the 10, 11 and 16 busses run 24 hours a day. During the times that you will be in port, they should run about once every 10 minutes. We never waited longer than 5 minutes for any bus, especially with the app which let us know what our options were and when the next busses would arrive.

The best stop that we found was the Scots Monument stop by Princes Gardens. It will drop you off right in the midst of town, walking (hiking!) distance to the Castle and the Royal Mile. Plus, the monument is a "can't miss", so you will clearly know when you have reached your stop. The ride from Newhaven will take about 45 minutes.

Note that an 8 am port time doesn't mean that you will actually be catching a bus as 8 am. Depending on the time your ship starts tendering, your tender priority, the size of your ship, the number of tenders running, etc., it could take a couple of hours before you are actually ashore. We were lucky and got on an early tender and managed to get to the Castle by 9:30 (30 minutes to tender, 45 minute bus trip, 15 minute walk to the Castle). Open tendering (no special priority required) started at 10 am for our ship/sailing, which would have passengers on shore by 10:30 or so.

On your return to the ship, give yourself plenty of time. We stood in line for about 1 hour to catch a tender back to our ship. We queued at 3:30 and were tendering by 4:30 (with an on-ship arrival time just before 5:00pm). There were some at the end of the line that likely waited much longer than we did to get back to the ship.

• 9 months later...
Hi, hope you can help, Celebrity can’t!

We are meeting some friends off Celebrity Eclipse on 21 July, where does the Newhaven tender actually dock?

Thank you

The first photo shows where Newhaven is relative to other Edinburgh landmarks. The second shows specifically where the tenders will dock, right next to the lighthouse.

5a058f37da8f9aea8d4a1ce6a73a5644.pngae9fc2475de1fc66ba374e8fe437877c.png