Is there an alternate train trip in the Rocky Mountains other than the Rockymountaine

portcbob

Hi fellow cruisers.

Thinking of doing a cruise to Alaska in 2019 and just starting to research a combined packaged trip.

I have heard that there is a cheaper alternative to the Rocky Mountaineer Train Trip trough the Canadian Rockies. Is that true and if so, what is the company called please.

Kind Regards Bob.

I think that 'a metric buttload cheaper' is a fair comparison of Rocky Mountaineer to VIA pricing. Unfortunately the latter is a very functional train - unlike RM it's not scheduled to optimise views at all and runs overnight, starting approx 9pm here in Vancouver. RM only runs daytime, with stops in hotels. If you actually want to SEE the mountains, you have two options other than the very pricey RM train:

1) rent a car, drive yourselves, and be 100% flexible about where and when you go;

or 2) take a bus tour.

Since I've only ever driven through the Rockies I can't offer any personal experience of different coach companies except in the most general terms - we've taken long tours with Cosmos/Globus/Trafalgar/Titan that were primarily coach-based. If it's more of a 'just the Rockies for a few days' then you're looking at more specialized firms I can't help with, except to suggest hitting up TripAdvisor rather than here.

Check out VacationsByRail.com. I did a TransCanada train trip from Vancouver to Toronto with them a few years ago, which was wonderful. They book not only RM but also VIA. I went the VIA route because I wanted the experience of sleeping onboard in my own compartment. VacationsByRail set up everything, including transfers, tours, and hotels for me. It was one of the best trips I've taken.

While I agree that you won't be able to see stuff at night if using VIA, depending on the time of year you are going, it stays light late anyway. I went in May and it stayed light until 10 pm at night.

Hi fellow cruisers.

Thinking of doing a cruise to Alaska in 2019 and just starting to research a combined packaged trip.

I have heard that there is a cheaper alternative to the Rocky Mountaineer Train Trip trough the Canadian Rockies. Is that true and if so, what is the company called please.

Kind Regards Bob.

The train options are Rocky Mountaineer, Via Rail Canadian and on the US side, Amtrak Empire Builder. You should be able to do a search and find out schedules, prices, etc.

Rocky Mountaineer runs 2 routes through the Rockies, northern from Jasper to Kamloops *day 1) and on to Vancouver the second day. The southern route runs from Calgary to Banff to Kamloops, and the second day joins with the northern train on to Vancouver. It is pricey but the reputation is excellent service.

Via Rail Canadian runs 3 or 4 days a week, runs the northern route which lengthens the journey by about a day, and is frequently VERY late. The westbound trains are 8:40 (hours:minutes) a ways from Vancouver, and the next run is 6:12 late near Winnipeg.

On the US side the Chicago-Seattle Empire Builder skirts the southern border of Glacier National Park in the early evening westbound and mid-morning eastbound. It is daily and less expensive than Via Rail.

As I say, you can lookup schedules, rates etc. on the net, and probably find numerous videos.

Hi fellow cruisers.

Kind Regards Bob.

The only alternate to RM is Via rail. Via leaves Vancouver around 8:30PM . Most of the trip is in darkness . You'll see anything until north of Kamloops.

RM only travels during the day. You get meals and a hotel in Kamloops for the price.They also narrate the trip as well.

They stop in Kamloops (my hometown) regularly 6 nights a week.

The only alternate to RM is Via rail. Via leaves Vancouver around 8:30PM . Most of the trip is in darkness . You'll see anything until north of Kamloops.

RM only travels during the day. You get meals and a hotel in Kamloops for the price.They also narrate the trip as well.

They stop in Kamloops (my hometown) regularly 6 nights a week.

Having done the RM, the best scenery is between Kamloops and Jasper.

The other direction east to west on Via I suspect might be better.

Having done the RM, the best scenery is between Kamloops and Jasper.

The other direction east to west on Via I suspect might be better.

For people the Fraser Canyon is an engineering marvel. Every tunnel and bridge was hand made on the original construction.

Thanks guys for all the info and help.

Might stick with original thought and package up the tour by coach with accommodation included.

Looking forward to seeing beautiful Canada and Alaska, bucket list trip from Australia.

Is a princess ship the way to go.... Just cruised on the golden and liked the experience.

Once again, thank you.

Thanks guys for all the info and help.

Might stick with original thought and package up the tour by coach with accommodation included.

Looking forward to seeing beautiful Canada and Alaska, bucket list trip from Australia.

Is a princess ship the way to go.... Just cruised on the golden and liked the experience.

Once again, thank you.

I believe Princess would be the way to go as they do Alaska very well. Make sure your itinerary includes Glacier Bay as it is not to be missed. Princess and Holland America are the only two lines that are permitted to sail into Glacier Bay.

We did the RM in 2012 and combined it with an Alaskan cruise. It was wonderful. We flew to Calgary and were provided with a rental car and a GPS touring system called "Gypsee". It told us exactly what we were seeing and we could stop whenever we wanted. We drove to Banff and then got on the RM. The driving portion was wonderful and we stayed in all the beautiful Fairmont Hotels. When we arrived in Vancouver we stayed at the Fairmont at Canada Place. We booked the RM through AAA and were able to customize a lot of it. We booked a Princess cruise separately. I recommend the RM and the driving portion. The scenery was spectacular everywhere!