Getting Around in Victoria

No Uber - depending on the outcome of provincial elections in May, it might be up and running by the end of 2017.

Cabs are fairly plentiful, and with a cruiseship in port many of them will swing by the port looking for fares - there will be a lineup waiting as soon as disembarkation begins. All are metered at the same rates regardless of company - with accurate fares available on taxi fare finder.

Public transit is a bargain - $5pp for a day pass - and covers a broad region (you can get all the way up to Butchart with only 1 transfer, and the bus on the way back actually changes number so you don't even have to get off).

No Uber - depending on the outcome of provincial elections in May, it might be up and running by the end of 2017.

Cabs are fairly plentiful, and with a cruiseship in port many of them will swing by the port looking for fares - there will be a lineup waiting as soon as disembarkation begins. All are metered at the same rates regardless of company - with accurate fares available on taxi fare finder.

Public transit is a bargain - $5pp for a day pass - and covers a broad region (you can get all the way up to Butchart with only 1 transfer, and the bus on the way back actually changes number so you don't even have to get off).

Thanks very much for the information! Is there any sort of transportation from the cruise terminal to the downtown area? Just trying to get a sense of things and not wear out my travel companion with too too much walking!

Thanks very much for the information! Is there any sort of transportation from the cruise terminal to the downtown area? Just trying to get a sense of things and not wear out my travel companion with too too much walking!

There are shuttle buses - but they're a ripoff. Since you have at least 1 travel companion, just take a cab (~CAD$10 total each way) instead of a bus (US$10/11 per person return, depending on cruiseline, with no choice of where you get dropped/picked up).

The walk is well-signposted both direct (boring suburban streets, a little over 20mins) and indirect-but-more-attractive (following the water, via Fishermans; Wharf, c.45mins). Google Maps integrates transit, walking, cycling and driving directions for Victoria so if you want to compare methods for different places it's a good first place to check. Pricing a cab uses Google routing too on the the link I posted above.

There are shuttle buses - but they're a ripoff...

Ugh, agreed. It's a shame that so many cruise passengers take the shuttle bus not really knowing that town is walking distance and they do cost too much money. The bus is there with a big sign on it, and people blindly pay the fee and get on the shuttle. Shame.

OP, you might consider walking in the morning when you first arrive and then take a cab directly back to the ship at the end of your day. Curious as to what the "off the beaten path" items are? Simply curious - lived in Victoria for over 30 years; interested in knowing what a tourist considers off the beaten path. :)

Ugh, agreed. It's a shame that so many cruise passengers take the shuttle bus not really knowing that town is walking distance and they do cost too much money. The bus is there with a big sign on it, and people blindly pay the fee and get on the shuttle. Shame.

OP, you might consider walking in the morning when you first arrive and then take a cab directly back to the ship at the end of your day. Curious as to what the "off the beaten path" items are? Simply curious - lived in Victoria for over 30 years; interested in knowing what a tourist considers off the beaten path. :)

It really isn't all that off the beaten path, but my mom (my travel companion) loves tea. I found the White Heather Tea Room in the Oak Bay area which looks like a very cute spot, so I'd like to take her there. We aren't very adventurous (she always worries about missing the ship!), so I want to make sure we could get there and back successfully.

It really isn't all that off the beaten path, but my mom (my travel companion) loves tea. I found the White Heather Tea Room in the Oak Bay area which looks like a very cute spot, so I'd like to take her there....

Hmm. Would you consider renting a car, then? A cab to Oak Bay from the ship could be well in excess of $20.00 each way, I'm thinking. You could easily rent a car (the major rental companies will pick you up at Ogden Point pier) for the same cost, and then have the freedom to roam for a few hours. Just a suggestion. :)

It really isn't all that off the beaten path, but my mom (my travel companion) loves tea. I found the White Heather Tea Room in the Oak Bay area which looks like a very cute spot, so I'd like to take her there. We aren't very adventurous (she always worries about missing the ship!), so I want to make sure we could get there and back successfully.

If she likes tea then I'd recommend the afternoon tea at the Empress, it's very expensive but oh so good.

• 2 weeks later...

If you decide on the White Heather you absolutely must make a reservation well in advance. It is a very small place and you won't be able to just walk up and get a table without a reservation.

I'm not a fan of tea at the Empress, especially with the $75/person price tag.

75 per person... ouch!

I'm not a fan of tea at the Empress, especially with the $75/person price tag.

Right? Unbelievable. Plus tax and tip, of course as well! ;p I went with a girlfriend many years ago and it was steep then at around $40 pp. But we did get a miniature keepsake menu and a small jar of their strawberry jam. :D:D:D

75 per person

ouch!

It is very good but yes very expensive. It's ridiculous really, they're gouging the tourists and that's not right. I'm sure you'll find someplace nice.

We visit Victoria often. I enjoy tea and tearooms. My most recent tearoom experience was Venus Sophia. Price was reasonable and an authentic tea was nicely served. The location was good for walking, just on the edge of Chinatown and just off Government Street.

http://www.venussophia.com/

I don't know this one and I live here! Thank you.