Thoughts while “Muse-ing” - Modifications for Muse 2?

Master Echo

Look forward to hearing your views Jane as you'll have first hand experience like those of us who have actually been on her.

Have a wonderful voyage

Sophia [emoji4]

I shall do the same next month so we'll all be able to compare notes for those intending to travel on her in the future when the crew hopefully should be getting into the swing of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look forward to hearing your views Jane as you'll have first hand experience like those of us who have actually been on her.

Have a wonderful voyage

Sophia

Indeed Soapy, indeed, Advice from those that have experienced the issues are more useful than armchair experts. ;)

Indeed Soapy, indeed, Advice from those that have experienced the issues are more useful than armchair experts. ;)

Agreed. Always useful to find out how to avoid previous mistakes.

When you going on it Jeff? I look forward to your review and details seen in your my.silversea you'll be sharing from your armchair with us too. :-)

To be honest Jeff I really wish the PizzaGate affair to be dropped. My complaint to SS regarding the matter has to date still not been replied to.

Those who comment and advise about the dining arrangements should in my opinion reserve judgement until they have personal experience.

I'm truly hoping Jane will start a new thread about her Musings when she has time to do so and Les will undoubtably do the same when his turn comes around next month.

Sophia 😊

Agreed. Always useful to find out how to avoid previous mistakes.

When you going on it Jeff? I look forward to your review and details seen in your my.silversea you'll be sharing from your armchair with us too. :-)

Les,

As far as I'm aware I have been interested in the logistics of the problem that Soapy and others have posted on and unlike you cannot offer advice because I haven't been on Muse and I do not see a resolution. I had hoped that the informality of Muse would tempt us back but it's now clearly isn't for us. I don't like planning six months ahead for anything let alone what I am going to eat every night for a week or two and I don't respond to dissapointments well. Anyway,you've described my opinions as "absurd" so let's leave it there.

Thanks however for your interest in our plans.

To be honest Jeff I really wish the PizzaGate affair to be dropped. My complaint to SS regarding the matter has to date still not been replied to.

Those who comment and advise about the dining arrangements should in my opinion reserve judgement until they have personal experience.

I'm truly hoping Jane will start a new thread about her Musings when she has time to do so and Les will undoubtably do the same when his turn comes around next month.

Sophia 😊

Spot on. This will work well for some and not for others. I fear that wifey and I are are in the "others" bunch. It may be that this is true not just of SS but taking cruises. We'll see.

Les,

As far as I'm aware I have been interested in the logistics of the problem that Soapy and others have posted on and unlike you cannot offer advice because I haven't been on Muse and I do not see a resolution. I had hoped that the informality of Muse would tempt us back but it's now clearly isn't for us. I don't like planning six months ahead for anything let alone what I am going to eat every night for a week or two and I don't respond to dissapointments well. Anyway,you've described my opinions as "absurd" so let's leave it there.

Thanks however for your interest in our plans.

Amen!

Les,

Jeff, like you, I have decided that the Muse is not for me, and I'm sure we are not alone. I don't think it's a matter of giving time for the Muse to iron out "the kinks". I think the whole dining concept is faulty for a cruise ship environment, and in the way that Silversea is doing it. For one thing, there's not enough room to accommodate everyone in the restaurants that will be the most popular; many people don't want to be required to plan when and what they want to eat months down the road or risk going without; there's not much flexibility in the set-up to accommodate changes of plan; it's not going to work for solo travelers. I can go on, but the problems have already been discussed and are numerous. Although there are only a few reports at this point from passengers that have actually sailed on the Muse, their reports bear out our concerns.

I will certainly not go on Muse for my next cruise. Most cruise ships are not operating their dining this way. And if it happens that this is where they all will go, then I will consider options other than cruising for my holidays.

I followed the development of the product as closely as one can. It sounded like several restaurants and cuisines and each eveing you would wander around and see what you fancied and then sat down and ate. It sounded so good, and we were certain it would suit us, but it is the absolute opposite. I don't like the unspontaneous nature of it all and I don't like treating MDs like gods.

You need to join us on one of our street food safaris to Singapore. We use to go three times a year for a few weeks each time, but now it's just one. It use to just be a stopover on the way to Oz, but then we cut Oz out.

You could always join us on our nut and punch safari this December in Vienna! That is fun. :)

I followed the development of the product as closely as one can. It sounded like several restaurants and cuisines and each eveing you would wander around and see what you fancied and then sat down and ate. It sounded so good, and we were certain it would suit us, but it is the absolute opposite. I don't like the unspontaneous nature of it all and I don't like treating MDs like gods.

You need to join us on one of our street food safaris to Singapore. We use to go three times a year for a few weeks each time, but now it's just one. It use to just be a stopover on the way to Oz, but then we cut Oz out.

You could always join us on our nut and punch safari this December in Vienna! That is fun. :)

Sounds like a lot of fun, Jeff. There are more options for vacationing other than cruises, for sure! I think I will start checking them out.

And to make things worse there are different dress codes for each restaurant so if you didn't make a reservation months in advance and can't get in the one you are dressed for you may not be allowed in one of the others if you're not properly attired. Count me in the No Muse For Me group.

And to make things worse there are different dress codes for each restaurant so if you didn't make a reservation months in advance and can't get in the one you are dressed for you may not be allowed in one of the others if you're not properly attired. Count me in the No Muse For Me group.

Some time ago "special arrangements" were made for us to have a table added to Terraza any evening we wanted one. We insisted that it was an added table so no other people could conceivably be inconvenienced by the special arrangement. Almost every night we dined we could see passengers present themselves to the MD, a well known one, who hummed and hoared and tutted and shuffled his book, and were turned away, but if a tip changed hands then a table was magiced. SS senior management are well aware of this.

As I said in the other thread, unless they make it "illegal" for MDs to receive tips then with the decreased lattitude that is an obvious consequence of smaller restaurant spaces this I fear will become an MDs charter.

Some time ago "special arrangements" were made for us to have a table added to Terraza any evening we wanted one. We insisted that it was an added table so no other people could conceivably be inconvenienced by the special arrangement. Almost every night we dined we could see passengers present themselves to the MD, a well known one, who hummed and hoared and tutted and shuffled his book, and were turned away, but if a tip changed hands then a table was magiced.
Whoa! That is really egregious. I'm thankful that I've not witnessed that sort of behavior on the voyages we've been on.

When you say "some time ago", how long ago was it?

The MD is still employed by SS. Others in previous threads where this issue has been discussed have guessed correctly who. On Sophia's recent Muse cruise she overheard a fellow passenger boast that he had secured the same table in his preferred restaurant for every night of his cruise without prior booking by tipping/bribing the MD.

Bare in mind the first and last night are informal in all restaurants. So if you want to eat in la dame or Atlantide, book then.

We will try booking them when they are open for booking in a few days time.

We will try booking them when they are open for booking in a few days time.

Whilst its worthwhile booking for peace of mind, its not essential and there is definitely no rush to do so despite the claims from people without bookings. I certainly wouldn't take any notice of suggestions restaurants reservations are deliberately being lost and Matre D's running an extortion rackets to get you a table.

Whilst its worthwhile booking for peace of mind, its not essential and there is definitely no rush to do so despite the claims from people without bookings. I certainly wouldn't take any notice of suggestions restaurants reservations are deliberately being lost and Matre D's running an extortion rackets to get you a table.

The 'claims' from people who have not pre booked are not just 'claims' Les as l personally discovered and have discussed on this board.

Whilst l have no knowledge of reservations being lost l have witnessed tables being magically spirited.....trust me it happens but to suggest extortion is rather harsh.

I'm sure you will be in a much better position to advise on the Muse dining arrangements once you have personal experience in three weeks time.

Sophia 😊

The 'claims' from people who have not pre booked are not just 'claims' Les as l personally discovered and have discussed on this board.

I was referring to people advising who dont have bookings on the muse claiming you must book 6 months in advance. Ive access to my booking on my.silversea and can see first hand no restaurant is full despite those claims thats what you must do. Ive always advocated its worth booking. Personally I think its sound advise.

Whilst l have no knowledge of reservations being lost

With respect, you need to address the person making the claim its happening and done on purpose to make you feel theyve really helped you out.

l have witnessed tables being magically spirited.....trust me it happens but to suggest extortion is rather harsh.

LOL. I dont doubt that "VIP" guests exist, though of course you will be aware I was referring to the suggestion the only way to ensure a table was to bribe the Maitre D. I'm sure you must have read it.

I'm sure you will be in a much better position to advise on the Muse dining arrangements once you have personal experience in three weeks time.

Since the only "advise" Ive given, is to pre book to ensure you get a table. You dont actually need to sail on the Muse to appreciate that's sound advice. I'm sure with hindsight you might have wished you'd done that too. :)

So just to get this straight. Since you are in the know because you;ve sailed on the Muse. Do you think its a good idea to pre book restaurants, especially knowing you are able to change while on board anyway and ensures you get a table. A straight yes or no will suffice.

Les......on hindsight l didn't expect a six star cruise line to perform the way they did....even on an inaugural which as we all know can be hit and miss....

Yes, l would advise to pre book on The Muse but there is no guarantee that you will be able to change that booking to another venue on the day....unless of course you befriend the MD..😉

I'm very sure that in time all these issues will be resolved to please the guest once the ship settles down.

Sophia 😊

Les......on hindsight l didn't expect a six star cruise line to perform the way they did....even on an inaugural which as we all know can be hit and miss....

Yes, l would advise to pre book on The Muse but there is no guarantee that you will be able to change that booking to another venue on the day....unless of course you befriend the MD..😉

I'm very sure that in time all these issues will be resolved to please the guest once the ship settles down.

Sophia 😊

Thankyou. And that is the only suggestion that I've made is to pre-book. And as I've stated several times, there are lots of issues that do need to be resolved and Ive repeatedly said what happened on the P night was disgraceful. I've maintained that like you've just said, they will iron out the bulk of the issues, but they cannot sort the conundrum of lots of choice over a MDR. And I maintain, that whilst I'm at ease with either option, I do quite like what the Muse is offering though will be looking forward to the Spirit and a MDR next April too. In short, I'm all for criticism when its rounded and fair. A lot of what Ive read is far from fair and in places libelous.

Les,

I really don't feel that either Sophia or I deserve any of this.

You have described my opinions as absurd. Fair enough. But to take my posts and totally misprepresent and distort what I have said and infer that both Sophia and I are untruthful about what we have observed is unacceptable. You have said that I have said that (a) the only way you can get a table is by booking six months in advance and then (b) the only way to get a table is by bribing the MD. You can't really say I said both can you? In fact I didn't say that either was the only way of getting a table because I do not know. I have simply stated factually that I have seen tips being handed over on cruises that I have taken and that on the basis of the smaller restaurants on Muse and Sophia's observations (that tables have been "magically" freed up on payment) that it would be better on Muse if SS made MDs accepting tips or bribes "illegal". I think it perfectly reasonable to express that view. You have put into my moth the words "extortion racket". Which post was that? By all means disagree with what I have actually posted but don't misrepresent what I have said. Evidently when I took about the MD tips problem it is is libelous when I say it but when Sophia says the same thing it isn't libelous.

However with respect to accuracy of your own posts you've said to Sophia >>Since the only "advise" Ive given, is to pre book to ensure you get a table.<< But what you actually said was more than that ..... >>Whilst its worthwhile booking for peace of mind, its not essential and there is definitely no rush to do so despite the claims from people without bookings. << The two are completely different and like Sophia I do not believe you should give advice to others about what to do, other than to hedge your bets and book as soon as you can until you have first hand experience and when many others have said that the current issues that their clearly have been have been fully resolved. Lulling people into false security without at least first-hand knowledge simply to have a "pop" at me isn't in my view good advice.

I hope that SS get's this issue sorted out and I wish you nothing other than a thoroughly enjoyable experience as I wish on all others. I'd like to see SS work out how to make the experience spontaneous and relaible and when it is we will certainly look at trying it out. You have said my opinions are absurd and that I have been untruthful, so can we now draw a line and move on please?

Thanks.

Les,

I really don't feel that either Sophia or I deserve any of this.

You have described my opinions as absurd. Fair enough. But to take my posts and totally misprepresent and distort what I have said and infer that both Sophia and I are untruthful about what we have observed is unacceptable. You have said that I have said that (a) the only way you can get a table is by booking six months in advance and then (b) the only way to get a table is by bribing the MD. You can't really say I said both can you? In fact I didn't say that either was the only way of getting a table because I do not know. I have simply stated factually that I have seen tips being handed over on cruises that I have taken and that on the basis of the smaller restaurants on Muse and Sophia's observations (that tables have been "magically" freed up on payment) that it would be better on Muse if SS made MDs accepting tips or bribes "illegal". I think it perfectly reasonable to express that view. You have put into my moth the words "extortion racket". Which post was that? By all means disagree with what I have actually posted but don't misrepresent what I have said. Evidently when I took about the MD tips problem it is is libelous when I say it but when Sophia says the same thing it isn't libelous.

However with respect to accuracy of your own posts you've said to Sophia >>Since the only "advise" Ive given, is to pre book to ensure you get a table.<< But what you actually said was more than that ..... >>Whilst its worthwhile booking for peace of mind, its not essential and there is definitely no rush to do so despite the claims from people without bookings. << Like Sophia I do not believe you can give advice any to others about what to do, other than to hedge your bets and book as soon as you can until you have first hand experience and when many others have said that the current issues that their clearly have been have been fully resolved. Lulling people into false security without at least first-hand knowledge simply to have a "pop" at me isn't in my view good advice.

I hope that SS get's this issue sorted out and I wish you nothing other than a thoroughly enjoyable experience as I wish on all others. I'd like to see SS work out how to make the experience spontaneous and relaible and when it is we will certainly look at trying it out. You have said my opinions are absurd and that I have been untruthful, so can we now draw a line and move on please?

Thanks.

Dear Jeffery

What has Sophia got to do with it? You tell me that I have been untruthful and complain I've distorted what you've said. Total fabrication.

I've only once made a comment on something you've said as being absurd and I stand by it. Completely. And I doubt anyone would disagree with that either.

This thread - post 40

I wish I understood why so many post that they book online and then find that they are told the bookings do not exist when they board. These bookings don't just dissapear.

It is as though they like to create chaos in order to be heroes and engender "appreciation" when they sort it out.

It doesn't take Einstein to work out exactly what you meant by that.

Mr reply. post 43

I hadn't noticed anyone complain that reservations had been lost before so I was curious to see if I could find this review. Clearly an IT error by the look. Not sure why you seem to be suggesting its done on purpose. That seems absurd.
Are you seriously suggesting that I'm saying everything you say is absurd based on that? Really? What exactly did you mean by that comment Jeff? Who are these "lots of people"? Sophia didn't see it or say it (I asked her) and I've not seen anyone let alone lots say it.

What did you mean by this in post 86? MD Charters? Banning Tips? What exactly were you implying Jeff if it wasn't that smaller restaurants you'd need to "bribe" to get a table. Extortion may be a step further than what you've said in these two things, but the drift is certainly there. Its downright offensive IMHO.

And why would you try to claim Ive said Sophia was lying about hearing someone boasting about getting a table? I don't doubt her for one moment. Stop using her to have a pop at me.

And as for the last part of your moan. You and wripro said you must book 6 months in advance. (Apparently the suggestion you need to sail to give advice doesnt apply to you.) I have a booking ON THE SHIP. I can see the details in my.silversea. You dont have a cruise booking but what I can see first hand in my personal booking isnt valid apparently. Not sure why you bring Sophia into everything you post - the comment was zero to do with her. You obviously thought I was talking about Sophias pizza episode. Wrong I was referring to YOU who doesnt have a booking. Can you explain exactly why my booking and what I can see on the restaurant booking status doesnt count for anything? I'm intrigued by that.

By all means tell me why I need to have sailed in Silver Muse already to see that no restaurants are full on my sailing, but you know I should have booked 6 months out. (Not sure when you last sailed on SS Jeff - but you cant book that far out even if you wanted.

I could go on with all your negative comments - like posting reviews but missing off the fact they love the new format. Or posting you expect the owners paintings will be defaced. (Which sounded like a wish). Yes, you often do carefully measure things to not quite say things, but its pretty obvious what you are getting at.

You've claimed yet again at the end that I've said your opinions are absurd. Since before you made that claim which Ive pointed out what it was about, could you point to anywhere else, otherwise the untruthful bit is proven.

Oh and the snidey comments about "armchair experts" and "rose colour specs" dont go unnoticed too. There isnt anything Ive claimed to be an expert about on the Muse. My only advice has ever been that its best to book in advance. With Hindsight Sofia has agreed that was actually a good move. So why the insult? And I dont have rose coloured specs, I'm often very critical and could posts dozens of references where Ive done so. I just like to think you need to be level headed and fair and you are the exact opposite of that with many of the things you been saying about Silversea and particularly about the Muse.

PS Sophia hasn't been criticised, so I really dont get why you keep bringing her into everything to bolster your indignation. I dont disbelieve anything she's said and no axes to grind even though I know she has dismissed my comments about reservations, but not your own.

Apologies to ME and everyone else for the rant. But some things you need to be got off your chest and believe me there is an awful lot more I could have said. This should have been a great thread, ruined by so much negativity it makes you wonder if this forum is for silversea cruisers and I know there are a few who are not impressed by some of it,