Holland America's Oprah Cruise Will Feature Special Singers and Speakers

LauraS

Glad to see the list because I just booked a HAL, and do not want to be on an Oprah intensive trip her political activities have turned me off complete to her.. Luckily the cruise I have selected is not listed, I would changed it ... necessary.

• 4 weeks later...
When I think of Oprah, I think self-help, not political. I don't think the purpose of these cruises is to launch a campaign.

Roz

I am not an Oprah fan but don't understand the nasty comments .

I must be one of the exception to all of you that are opposed to an Oprah themed cruise. My political leanings are not aligned with Oprah but I booked on one of her cruises intentionally after hearing about her themed cruises.

I'm a frequent cruiser and have cruised on Holland American Line in the past but currently I mainly cruise on RCCL. Maybe if I didn't cruise so often I wouldn't want to share my time with enrichment lectures while vacationing, but I do cruise often and I think this will add another dimension to my upcoming trip.

BTW I won't cruise with the Oprah themed cruise until March 2018.

We are also looking at this cruise . If I was convinced it was not going to be a Oprah love-in with hordes of her followers ,we would probably book. Extra enrichment options that we could take or leave would be a good thing . Prices are good .

There is talk Oprah might run for President in 2018. Hopefully sh e and all her cronies will be too busy to sail. Does Orrlando really think this kind of policital conneciton is a great idea? I hope not. Maybe someone will clue him in. Maybe the'll hink it fine if she c ampaaigns aboard :rolleyes:. That could saave HAL lots of money. Have her make campaign speeches in show loung e instead of hiring singers and dancers.

As much as some from U.S. might hate that scenario, or even love itt, I cannot imgine what those from other couuntries would t not like it much iff i ended up on an Oprah cruise if I forgogt to ksk when I booked..

There is no presidential election in 2018...alternative facts. Where is your source for where Oprah says is considering a run for president?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(y)

We booked 7/15 cruise because it was the only one going to Alaska that week where we could book a verandah/inside across from each other for 5 people last minute (30 days out). Thanks Oprah!

(y)(y)

• 2 weeks later...

The problem here (forgetting Oprah) is that you will likely have a large "group" on a regular cruise (not chartered). So what does this mean to the cruiser on that ship who has no interest in the Oprah related stuff? There is a limited number or decent public venues on any ship. When you have a large group, they take over some of those venues (on a regular basis) which denies their use to the remainder of the passengers. If the Oprah group has entertainment or speakers in the main theater...it means that venue is not available for the normal activities. If one decides to go up to the Crows Nest (or what is left of the Crows Nest) for a drink...you may find that its closed on several evenings for a "Private Group."

Forty+ years of cruise experience has taught us to avoid any cruise (on any line) that has a large group on the ship. Sometimes you will not even know about a large group until you are on the ship...but this is the exception.

Hank

Since I posted about a month ago the Oprah cruise in March has gone way up .

Now Oprah isn't for me but maybe the haters are wrong about what some people want.

Is it possible HAL's big shots aren't all that dumb ? :p

I understand why we would be loathe to be on a cruise that is dominated by a large group, but I do not think this is the case with Oprah Winfrey. She has no interest in public office, I doubt she has harmed anyone, and I heard her speak (on TV) at the memorial service for Maya Angelou. She described how being distraught one day she phoned Maya who told her "Oprah, stop crying, you believe in God who put the rainbow in the sky." We'll pray. Not everyone who wrote against Oprah may be a believer, but if you are, I wish you had heard the rest of the tribute.

I understand why we would be loathe to be on a cruise that is dominated by a large group, but I do not think this is the case with Oprah Winfrey. She has no interest in public office, I doubt she has harmed anyone, and I heard her speak (on TV) at the memorial service for Maya Angelou. She described how being distraught one day she phoned Maya who told her "Oprah, stop crying, you believe in God who put the rainbow in the sky." We'll pray. Not everyone who wrote against Oprah may be a believer, but if you are, I wish you had heard the rest of the tribute.

I did not mean anything against Oprah, I admire her greatly and would love to meet her and I am a believer,

Another example of Orlando not understanding what his core base wants.

Gosh, isn't this just one cruise? Perhaps if will attract like minded Oprah followers, but the next week there will be another sailing, perhaps with featured speakers on Russian ballet, for example...you never know, do you?

Don't see the fuss and blaming HAL for trying something new. Who cares, we all choose the activities we want to attend, be it needlework, Bridge, ping pong. This could start a thread about "doozy" HAL speakers..I could name a few, and many are boring!

My first cruise, a TA on the Nieuw Amsterdam, the shows were aimed at a pre WW2 audiences..hey, they were old but not that old! And how about the screaming worn-jean wearing musical cast on the Eurodam? Hip hop isn't that appropriate on a TA.

MESSAGE: lower your expectations and go to the movies or the Dance lounge...if you get the wrong speakers or performers: you will still have a great cruise for a myriad of other reasons.

I want to clarify my previous remarks :). My issue is not with Oprah....but simply with any cruise that hosts any large special interest group. Large groups demand special treatment...which includes the ability to reserve public lounges (and other spaces) for their exclusive use (i.e. Private functions). That means that others on that cruise are closed out of multiple venues. Consider being on a HAL ship...where perhaps you have previously enjoyed a late afternoon cocktail in the Crows Nest (yes, I know that HAL is now destroying this venue). So you go up to the Crows Nest to discover a sign, "Closed for Private Function." You go the next night. and again encounter that same sign. Of perhaps you want to book an early Fixed Sitting and are told, "sorry its full because the XXX group has taken all the tables."

This, and more, can happen on any cruise that hosts a large special interest group. So, unless you are part of that particular group....you might consider a cruise where you are not treated like a 2nd class cruiser.

Hank

I want to clarify my previous remarks :). My issue is not with Oprah....but simply with any cruise that hosts any large special interest group. Large groups demand special treatment...which includes the ability to reserve public lounges (and other spaces) for their exclusive use (i.e. Private functions). That means that others on that cruise are closed out of multiple venues........you might consider a cruise where you are not treated like a 2nd class cruiser.

Hank

Totally agree, Hank, spot on.

I want to add to this two situations that I experienced: One on the last voyage of the Ryndam before refitting to a P&O property. The second was the Island Princess on its way to a refurb outside Venice.

In both cases our fellow passengers (a large group) were ship yard workers. Not only did they eat in the Lido in their work clothes, but they closed spaces that were normally used as pax venues. They, in both cases, were pulling up corridor rugs. On the Ryndam the library, games, books, etc. were boxed up right under our noses, as was Cafe silverware and glasses (coffee shop).

I might add that the Ryndam was sailing into unknown waters and the excursion people gave out misinformation that turned us into clueless wanderers in the streets of the Middle East..and in Sri Lanka, a very impossible docking that was especially awkward for elderly and mobility challenged guests, being in a distant industrial zone...a late change from the downtown dock.

Like your scenario: these situations were unsettling and an annoyance.

Bookers: do your homework.

Cheers,

Susan

Edited by MaisonRose
missing word

• 4 weeks later...

When I booked the Oct 28 NA cruise, I didn't realize it was an Oprah cruise. Had I known, I probably wouldn't have booked it; but the pricing was great when I booked it. It will give me a chance to finally cruise on the NA. Heck, it is only a 7 day cruise, I can deal with Oprah stuff that long. Plus the Oprah activities mentioned in a previous post, don't sound like they will even affect us.

I am booked on the Nov. Koningsdam. I'm actually looking forward to having something additional to do on board. My last cruise on the Noordam left us with nothing but disappointment in terms of the on-board activities. I've never been on the themed cruise before so I might have another opinion after the cruise.

• 10 months later...

I was trying to find a message board about Oprah. I’m sailing on the Eurodam on August 11th... am I in the minority? I’m actually looking forward to what’s on board. No I don’t work for the magazine or anything.. but I’m wondering why the hate?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was trying to find a message board about Oprah. I’m sailing on the Eurodam on August 11th... am I in the minority? I’m actually looking forward to what’s on board. No I don’t work for the magazine or anything.. but I’m wondering why the hate?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Others wonder why all the "love". This is a cruise ship; not a religious camp meeting.