Need ideas of things to do in Victoria

We (11 of us) will be on a Pacific Northwest cruise in the fall. Our day in Victoria will be Oct 7 from 8am until 5pm.

Looking for things to do. I know about Butchart gardens but was looking for some other things.

Are there things to do around the port? Are there tours leaving from there that will take you on sightseeing from the port area? What about hop on hop off trolleys?

Our group ranges from 61 - 74 men and women if that matters.

Thanks for any help.

We (11 of us) will be on a Pacific Northwest cruise in the fall. Our day in Victoria will be Oct 7 from 8am until 5pm.

Looking for things to do. I know about Butchart gardens but was looking for some other things.

Are there things to do around the port? Are there tours leaving from there that will take you on sightseeing from the port area? What about hop on hop off trolleys?

Our group ranges from 61 - 74 men and women if that matters.

Thanks for any help.

Beacon Hill Park is pretty much on the doorstep of the cruise terminal and a walk along Dallas Rd is about as pretty a walk as there is.

There are 3 HOHO operators in Victoria, Gray Line, CVS and Big Bus, Victoria is quite small and compact so they all do pretty much the same thing.

The are 2 horse drawn carriage operators, Tally Ho and Victoria Carriage Tours, with your numbers Victoria Carriage would be the best bet.

The Royal BC Museum is a sure win if there during the day but it does close at 5 pm....although they have an IMAX theatre that is often open later.

Here is a link to some self-conducted walking tours http://downtownvictoria.ca/getting-around/secrets-city and a walk along Government Street with all its unique small shops is worthy of a visit.

In the evening our provincial legislature buildings are illuminated and very pretty.

With all day, lots of options available - and since you're leaving at 5pm you don't need to worry about anything not being open unless it's a very seasonal business that closes entirely after 'Canadian Summer' ends at labour day...

Definitely concur Royal BC is a great spot to while away a few hours - it's like the best small town museum in the world with rather eclectic collections. Since you're on a daytime Friday visit, you can actually go inside parliament too instead of just admiring the exterior - free tours run 9-5, M-F.

Many people like Craigdarroch (including me, I just hate that they mis-sell it as a castle when it's not even the most castle-y building in the city, let alone an actual castle!) which is very well-preserved, with some excellent stained glass and lots of period furniture etc. Thanks to the time & day of your visit, you also have the option of visiting the much more castle-y Hatley, and even doing a guided tour of the building and gardens - this is much harder to schedule than any of the other Victoria area options on most cruise stops, so personally if you like old buildings/gardens I would prioritise this.

The last thing that jumps out with your timeframe is whalewatching - plenty of scope for a longer independent tour. Orcas remain resident in local waters all year round - unfortunately they roam far enough that sightings are not 100%, it depends where they are on your day whether they are close enough to reach in the c.3 hour timeframe. You will get a lifetime guarantee though - so if you don't see a whale, you can come back any time for free trip after free trip until you do (so if you will EVER be back here, it's a better deal than the 'get $100 if you don't see a whale' some Alaskan operators offer).

If your party don't have any back problems Zodiac boats are available, the speed of which maximise the chance of finding the local pods, other visiting Orcas, and the humpbacks & grays that migrate up & down the coast (early October you might actually the beginning of the southbound migration, and there are more and more whales beginning to realise it's better to hang out in BC waters than go all the way up to Alaska - we've even had a few lurking around the Vancouver area the last two summers).

• 2 months later...
... The last thing that jumps out with your timeframe is whalewatching - plenty of scope for a longer independent tour. Orcas remain resident in local waters all year round - unfortunately they roam far enough that sightings are not 100%, it depends where they are on your day whether they are close enough to reach in the c.3 hour timeframe ...

If your party don't have any back problems Zodiac boats are available, the speed of which maximise the chance of finding the local pods ....

Eagle Wing Tours (https://www.eaglewingtours.com/) run a couple of scarab monohull boats that are very fast but do not have the same discomfort issues that you can get in Zodiac boats. We live part-time in Victoria, and they are our choice for whale-watching companies. They are currently rated #1 on TripAdvisor. In fact, we went with them just last week. Their office is in Fisherman's Wharf, just a short walk from the curise ship terminal.

You will see wildlife -- humpback whales and seals for sure, and the odds of seeing orcas, bald eagles and cormorants is also very high. Just be sure to let the booking agent know that you have to be back in port by a certain time. If there are no time restrictions for passengers, this company has been known to take people out for longer to increase wildlife sightings (at no extra charge). :)

Eagle Wing Tours (https://www.eaglewingtours.com/) run a couple of scarab monohull boats that are very fast but do not have the same discomfort issues that you can get in Zodiac boats. We live part-time in Victoria, and they are our choice for whale-watching companies. They are currently rated #1 on TripAdvisor. In fact, we went with them just last week. Their office is in Fisherman's Wharf, just a short walk from the curise ship terminal.

You will see wildlife -- humpback whales and seals for sure, and the odds of seeing orcas, bald eagles and cormorants is also very high. Just be sure to let the booking agent know that you have to be back in port by a certain time. If there are no time restrictions for passengers, this company has been known to take people out for longer to increase wildlife sightings (at no extra charge). :)

When you say short walk from the cruise terminal, can you give the exact distance? We're also looking for things to do in Victoria the end of Sept. I was interested in Buchart? Gardens but wonder how many flowers will no longer be in bloom.

It's about a 20 minute walk from the cruise terminal to the Inner Harbour area of downtown; there is also a shuttle $10/person; or even public buses.

Butchart Gardens are about 45 minutes from downtown, if you are only in Victoria for a few hours you really should take the cruise excursion. The flowers are beautiful 365 days of the year.

When you say short walk from the cruise terminal, can you give the exact distance?

It is 800 m (1/2 mile) from the Ogden Point cruise ship terminal to Fisherman's Wharf which is where Eagle Wing Tours is located. According to my trusty walking app, that should take an average person about 10 minutes. I only mention this because a previous poster said that it takes about 20 minutes to walk from the cruise ship terminal to the Inner Harbour; Fisherman's Wharf is before you get to the Inner Harbour. So if you catch a shuttle, make sure that it drops you off at Fisherman's Wharf, otherwise you'll have to double back from the Inner Harbour stop.

You also asked about Butchart Gardens and I see that others have given you responses. I agree, it's a year-round destination.

Edited by kitcrazy

Not knowing the walking ability of the poster is why I said 20 minutes, better to err on the side of taking longer than saying 10 minutes and it takes longer. Yes it certainly can take less time or it could take longer if you stop to enjoy the scenery.

Not knowing the walking ability of the poster is why I said 20 minutes, better to err on the side of taking longer than saying 10 minutes and it takes longer. Yes it certainly can take less time or it could take longer if you stop to enjoy the scenery.

Not disagreeing with you on this point. I only mention it because the earlier implication was that Fisherman's Wharf is in the Inner Harbour. It is NOT. It's actually about half-way between the Ogden Point cruise ship terminal and the Empress Hotel in the Inner Harbour (where the shuttle buses often stop). It takes about another 10-15 minutes to walk from Fisherman's Wharf to the Empress. I would hate for someone to catch a shuttle bus and get off at the Empress only to discover that they have to double-back to get to Fisherman's Wharf.

Having said that, if I recall correctly, if you ask, they'll drop you off at Fisherman's Wharf since it's on the way.

Edited by kitcrazy

• 2 weeks later...
You can also find some great deals on Groupon. DH and I are looking at a wine tour for our upcoming sailing we found this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Groupon also has the Hop on Hop off tours quite frequently

Hi all.

Thank you for so many informative options.

I am considering a bike tour with a foodie focus (according to promo) :D.

Is this something worth doing in Victoria?

It is for approximately 4 hours.

Its a great tour, provided the weather doesnt bother you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Hi, if we are on a tour thru NCL (Victoria Highlights) that can drop us off at the Inner Harbor after the tour, what is the distance to walk back to the ship?

Depends on the route - if you just go the most direct way, a little over 20 minutes at a reasonable pace. If you follow the water as closely as possible around past Fisherman's wharf a little over half an hour walking - but realistically 40+mins because if you're going that way it's for the views so you're going to stop for pics, see the seals etc! Victoria actually put up signs on the streets on cruise days, so it's very easy to find your way back even if you don't have a smartphone dataplan or download maps in advance, but here's a quick Google Map to illustrate the long & short ways - CVS tour location on the map is pretty much where you'll walk off the pier and through security.

Depends on the route - if you just go the most direct way, a little over 20 minutes at a reasonable pace. If you follow the water as closely as possible around past Fisherman's wharf a little over half an hour walking - but realistically 40+mins because if you're going that way it's for the views so you're going to stop for pics, see the seals etc! Victoria actually put up signs on the streets on cruise days, so it's very easy to find your way back even if you don't have a smartphone dataplan or download maps in advance, but here's a quick Google Map to illustrate the long & short ways - CVS tour location on the map is pretty much where you'll walk off the pier and through security.

Thank you so much. We will do walk back, since it seems so easy.

The walk to/from town is easy, safe and really picturesque. You can watch all the horse drawn carriages on your stroll as well. Don't miss eating at the Pink Bicycle, best burgers in the planet. I was a crew member on that route last season and I've more info in my blog http://wp.me/p6Ptmi-jo

Hope it helps and have a great cruise!:)

• 4 weeks later...

Interested in the Butterfly Exhibit as I will have my just turned 4 year old and wants something he would enjoy. RCCL does not list any excursions to the Butterfly Exhibit. What transportation is available from the ships dock to the Butterfly Exhibit please? In the past I do remember there be horse drawn carriage, buses and taxis but wonder if there is bus that would transport there and back. In Victoria from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Also any idea of cost for transportation. Thank you

Interested in the Butterfly Exhibit as I will have my just turned 4 year old and wants something he would enjoy. RCCL does not list any excursions to the Butterfly Exhibit. What transportation is available from the ships dock to the Butterfly Exhibit please? In the past I do remember there be horse drawn carriage, buses and taxis but wonder if there is bus that would transport there and back. In Victoria from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Also any idea of cost for transportation. Thank you

If you mean the Butterfly Gardens they are very close to Butchart, so organized bus tours basically all treat it as an add-on. Assuming you're also interested in Butchart, just take a CVS tour from downtown and pay for the add-on (makes it about $78pp instead of $65pp). Unfortunately they don't sell tours JUST to the butterfly gardens as the volume doesn't justify it even in peak season - most Victoria visitors arrive wearing 'Butchart Blinkers' as it's by far the most well-known local attraction.

Public transit is feasible with a full day like yours though - and only $5pp for a Day Pass (your 4 year old would be free). The 75 bus goes all the way out to Butchart and stops conveniently for the Butterfly Gardens too. About an hour each way depending on day & time of travel (use the trip planner on the link I gave).

A cab would cost at least $50 each way - split among a full taxi not much over $10 per person - but a rental car would very likely cost you less including gas than cab fare and offer even more flexibility.