Pickpockets and how to deal with them

steverhodes

The times we were asked for directions we were carrying baguettes from the boulangerie and a bag of groceries from the grocery store - just like all the locals were doing. No maps.

The pickpockets are very well trained. They can spot a tourist by certain mannerisms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The most aggressive attempt on my valuables was in the Christmas market in front of the cathedral in Strasbourg - notorious for pickpockets. I was making a purchase and was accosted by a babbling woman shoving a paper in my face. I said no repeatedly and the stall holder said to ignore her. Then I was pushed and pinned against the stall counter. They got nothing - I use inner pockets. I suspect the stall holder was in on it as she repeatedly tried to wrap the wrong merchandise for my purchase. It's all part of traveling.

I remember watching a pickpocket on a tv talk show. He chatted with the two hosts (standing) and at the end of the segment, he showed what he had stolen from them while chitchatting. Then they ran slow motion video and showed the moments he stole their wallets, watches, phones, etc.

Wow. He was so slick.

The times we were asked for directions we were carrying baguettes from the boulangerie and a bag of groceries from the grocery store - just like all the locals were doing. No maps.

Anita,

I didn´t say that a tourist has to have a map in his hands. But tourists do carry maps with them ;)!

Even with baguettes and a grocery bag I can tell you whether you are a tourist or a local. It´s the demeanor, the clothes you are wearing, the shoes you are wearing...

steamboats

we were on a river cruise and our stop at vienna , we were on a walking tour....near one spot our tour guide stopped talking and told the group....do not take those flowers that the women offer you....it is a scam they will harass you for money....further along at another stop while we were listening to the guide a man approached our group and stood right beside me....too close....our guide stopped talking glared at him....and said lucky you had your backpack to the front....in crowds I alwasy put my backpack to the front instead of on my back

Just returned today from London and was in Prague, Germany and Paris. Was well aware of the pickpocketers. All turned out well, I kept my purse across the front of me and didn't carry anything of value. It was amazing how many young girls walk around with their phone in their back pockets. It's like advertising!

Anita,

I didn´t say that a tourist has to have a map in his hands. But tourists do carry maps with them ;)!

Even with baguettes and a grocery bag I can tell you whether you are a tourist or a local. It´s the demeanor, the clothes you are wearing, the shoes you are wearing...

steamboats

I doubt it!