Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Silversea Cruises

Read Silversea Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you.

Find Your Silversea Roll Call

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:53 PM.
UK
6,121 Posts
Joined May 2012
Terry,

It's a great system ..... if it moves it gets photographed and uploaded.
It's extremely reassuring when we are on our travels as we one app gives us live feeds from all cameras and PB tells us for each property what has been happening over the last 24 hours. Only key cameras trigger an ftp upload but all can be seen online and all record full video and archives to a NAS cloud system up to around 2 years before it deletes .....

eg

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeff

260 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by spinnaker2
Ok, I just googled salad cream.
Now I know the history and it was quite an interesting diversion to read about it.

Now I am going to google fairy cakes and pigeons milk. Perhaps we shall request it for tea on Silversea?

Spins.....the 'pigeons' milk is Carnation evaporated condensed tin stuff....I think the pigeon term may have been my grandparents take on it!!
Fairy cakes are just small individual basic sponge cakes which can be served up in various ways.....maybe a predecessor to the cup cake?

Good to see Mysty home safe and in one piece!

Good television viewing beckons this eve with the sons of Diana documentary speaking out on the 20th Anniversary of her passing.

😊
Camillus, New York, USA
475 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Just came from Tops supermarket and no salad cream. Before ordering on-line, I'll try Aldi's next time. A bit out of my way but Aldi's brings stuff usually not found in US supermarkets.
UK
6,121 Posts
Joined May 2012
Just make your first try egg sandwiches ie hard boiled eggs through the slicer both ways and mashed up with a little salt and the salad cream and some cress added if you can. Perhaps a layer of very thin cucumber.

https://www.amazon.com/Heinz-Dressin...5VQW3JX8G&th=1

And wonderful with waxy potatos as a potato salad.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeff

Camillus, New York, USA
475 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Thanks Jeff, I love cole slaw (hence salad cream need ) but don't like eggs. I was forced to eat them as a child and have refused to do so ever since. I know this is weird, but I only eat them in cakes, or otherwise disguised. I'm letting on a best kept secret!!
Columbus, Ohio
18,119 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by UKCruiseJeff
Terry, It's a great system ..... if it moves it gets photographed and uploaded. It's extremely reassuring when we are on our travels as we one app gives us live feeds from all cameras and PB tells us for each property what has been happening over the last 24 hours. Only key cameras trigger an ftp upload but all can be seen online and all record full video and archives to a NAS cloud system up to around 2 years before it deletes.
Appreciate this great added background and details about this technology from Jeff. Fascinating!! Might be a nice item to have, especially when we are traveling. Very interesting picture examples.

THANKS for sharing! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Super loved so different many parts of the Caribbean in 2015!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at the link of "Barbados: Our Pix's, Experiences!":
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2262999
UK
6,121 Posts
Joined May 2012
Thanks Terry.

Coolers, why does nature keep all the best stuff for itself?

I have always wanted to see the Northern Lights at least once before I pop my cloggs. In an ideal world Whisper or Shadow would wend its way up to the Northenmost part of Norway for a couple of weeks between November and February and park up for a week or so and every night we'd either be drunk or observing the Northern Lights - or even better - BOTH. A two week party parked up sounds wonderful.

P&O go up there but it sounds so dire. I think they even charge you to do a poo. Those boats sound seedy. And the Hurtigruten people go up there ... but it just doesn't sound right. A lot of clanking and smells. Or you can fly up there and spend all day looking at your toes getting frostbite and going bankrupt on booze and sandwich prices and boredom. Hug a Huskey isnt a whole day tour.

Why doesn't SB or SS .. or even dare I say SD ... do something and capture this market or is it simply because their boats have to be elsewhere? Or is it that there isn't a market and it's just me and wifey who wants to do it?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeff

St. Paul MN
3,100 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by UKCruiseJeff
Thanks Terry.

Coolers, why does nature keep all the best stuff for itself?

I have always wanted to see the Northern Lights at least once before I pop my cloggs. In an ideal world Whisper or Shadow would wend its way up to the Northenmost part of Norway for a couple of weeks between November and February and park up for a week or so and every night we'd either be drunk or observing the Northern Lights - or even better - BOTH. A two week party parked up sounds wonderful.

P&O go up there but it sounds so dire. I think they even charge you to do a poo. Those boats sound seedy. And the Hurtigruten people go up there ... but it just doesn't sound right. A lot of clanking and smells. Or you can fly up there and spend all day looking at your toes getting frostbite and going bankrupt on booze and sandwich prices and boredom. Hug a Huskey isnt a whole day tour.

Why doesn't SB or SS .. or even dare I say SD ... do something and capture this market or is it simply because their boats have to be elsewhere? Or is it that there isn't a market and it's just me and wifey who wants to do it?
Viking Ocean Cruises have just announced their Northern Lights sailings in Jan -March 2019 London to Bergen. Check the sailing out.