Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Friends of Cruise Critic > Big Apple to Big Easy 10/21/12

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:50 PM
5,000+ Club

Smile Lose Before We Cruise

The past 9 months have not been good for me weight-wise. Maybe all those cruises have caught up with me.

So, if you want to join me on my journey back to goal weight, please post here. You don't need to tell anyone what you weigh; just whether you lost or gained.

My goal is to lose 10 lb. before we leave for NYC.

We've enjoyed every ship on which we've cruised!

Grand Princess rollcall here --> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Rollcall info here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...O9g/edit#gid=0

** 20+ Cruises on Norwegian Cruise Line ** 250 point milestone achieved!

Finally made it to "Ruby" on Princess.

Coming up:

Grand Princess: 9 day Mexican Riviera plus La Paz & Loreto
Celebrity Equinox: 10 day Caribbean (first time on Celebrity)
Norwegian Jewel: Alaska with our Cruzin Cuzins

Old February 23rd, 2012, 07:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default weight

I'd love to join you in this never ending quest to lose and maintain weight loss. I started a diet on Dec 26,2011 and lost the weight I wanted to, but now to keep it off... I counted EVERY calorie I ate , weighed every ounce of food and the lbs. came off. I lost 120 lbs-AMAZING!. I was a 3x , now a 12 ! WOO HOO. I would love to join you in this battle, my advise is to buy a food scale and then a bathroom scale and weigh yourself and everything you eat everyday. I started bike riding- at first I was able to go about 10 blocks before my legs felt tired. Now I can ride MILES. Don't expect sudden changes- I lost 2 -3 lbs weekly and in a year it was a new me!
I start each day with weighing myself(in my thinnest nightgown lol) and then plan the day's meals. Always plan dinner and dessert first. You will ALWAYS eat dinner + I always want something sweet at night so I plan ahead. I was eating lean cuisine or similar everyday for lunch but now I am sick of them so i eat salad or sandwiches on lite bread. I weigh 1 oz of potato chips and take them to work as a snack with lunch. Never eat out of the bag. I write down everything I eat. I eat whatever I want as long as I can count it. Cake ? OK but not from a bakery- can't count it. I buy packaged cake and read calorie count and # of servings. Lets do this together ! I'm tired of doing this alone, I'd love some diet buddies !!! Fran

Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default I'm in

Rockapulco, wow -good job! And good advice. Did you use a group/attend meetings or lose the weight all on your own? I've recently lost about 40 lbs - since early Nov., and now would like to lose that much more. I need some accountability as I've gotten sloppy with my counts etc. I am a food addict, but sugar is my real nemesis. As long as I stay away from it, my cravings aren't too bad. I try to walk 2 miles a day and have just added some kettlebell weight training 3 days a week. We'll see how it goes.

OceanDreaming2, funny I know it sounds backwards, but I always lose a few pounds on a cruise, so I just need to cruise more

Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:42 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2travel View Post
Rockapulco, wow -good job! And good advice. Did you use a group/attend meetings or lose the weight all on your own? I've recently lost about 40 lbs - since early Nov., and now would like to lose that much more. I need some accountability as I've gotten sloppy with my counts etc. I am a food addict, but sugar is my real nemesis. As long as I stay away from it, my cravings aren't too bad. I try to walk 2 miles a day and have just added some kettlebell weight training 3 days a week. We'll see how it goes.

OceanDreaming2, funny I know it sounds backwards, but I always lose a few pounds on a cruise, so I just need to cruise more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockapulco View Post
I'd love to join you in this never ending quest to lose and maintain weight loss. I started a diet on Dec 26,2011 and lost the weight I wanted to, but now to keep it off... I counted EVERY calorie I ate , weighed every ounce of food and the lbs. came off. I lost 120 lbs-AMAZING!. I was a 3x , now a 12 ! WOO HOO. I would love to join you in this battle, my advise is to buy a food scale and then a bathroom scale and weigh yourself and everything you eat everyday. I started bike riding- at first I was able to go about 10 blocks before my legs felt tired. Now I can ride MILES. Don't expect sudden changes- I lost 2 -3 lbs weekly and in a year it was a new me!
I start each day with weighing myself(in my thinnest nightgown lol) and then plan the day's meals. Always plan dinner and dessert first. You will ALWAYS eat dinner + I always want something sweet at night so I plan ahead. I was eating lean cuisine or similar everyday for lunch but now I am sick of them so i eat salad or sandwiches on lite bread. I weigh 1 oz of potato chips and take them to work as a snack with lunch. Never eat out of the bag. I write down everything I eat. I eat whatever I want as long as I can count it. Cake ? OK but not from a bakery- can't count it. I buy packaged cake and read calorie count and # of servings. Lets do this together ! I'm tired of doing this alone, I'd love some diet buddies !!! Fran
Wow! Great stories and attitudes to both of you.

I'm a Weight Watchers member and led meetings for 10 years (just "retired" the end of January). For those 10 years, I never weighed more than my goal weight (in fact, at one point I was 20 lb. under that goal) but now I'm dangerous close to the number and I don't like the way I feel or look. I'm afraid I'll lose the accountability by not being as involved with meetings. I attended my old meeting Tuesday and it felt almost surreal.

Anyway, I know I'm not supposed to, but I weigh myself every morning and today I was down some from yesterday. It's a nice feeling. Portion control, journalling and support are the key ingredients to any weight loss plan.

We can do it!

Grand Princess rollcall here --> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Coming up:

Old February 25th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default weight loss

I was able to get the weight off on my own. I had thought of trying weight watchers meetings and told myself if I was unable to do this on my own I would spend the money and join a group. I'd rather use the money for cruise expenses so my motivation was high. There are many websites that have calorie counts, My Plate ( a Lance Armstrong page was great and free) All packaged foods have the counts right on the back. I save calories by purchasing the brand with the fewest. For instance there are wraps with 50 calories VS. wraps with 100. That and weighing EVERYTHING was the answer for me. There are great books out there. I got one called Eat this, Not that. That sort of sums up my diet plan. Now that I am at goal weight, I still weigh myself daily but weekends are free. i weigh what I want to weigh on Friday or I don't give myself the weekend off lol. Every Monday it's back to the scale and see what I need to do to get back to where I was. 1500 daily calories is my target for Mon- Fri. So far 2 months in and my weight has been stable. This past June we took our first cruise. I gained 7 lbs in 10 days but lost it again and continued to diet. I like to say I have "won't power, not will power''. As in , I won't eat that, I will eat that instead!

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 25th, 2012, 11:20 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockapulco View Post
I was able to get the weight off on my own. I had thought of trying weight watchers meetings and told myself if I was unable to do this on my own I would spend the money and join a group. I'd rather use the money for cruise expenses so my motivation was high. There are many websites that have calorie counts, My Plate ( a Lance Armstrong page was great and free) All packaged foods have the counts right on the back. I save calories by purchasing the brand with the fewest. For instance there are wraps with 50 calories VS. wraps with 100. That and weighing EVERYTHING was the answer for me. There are great books out there. I got one called Eat this, Not that. That sort of sums up my diet plan. Now that I am at goal weight, I still weigh myself daily but weekends are free. i weigh what I want to weigh on Friday or I don't give myself the weekend off lol. Every Monday it's back to the scale and see what I need to do to get back to where I was. 1500 daily calories is my target for Mon- Fri. So far 2 months in and my weight has been stable. This past June we took our first cruise. I gained 7 lbs in 10 days but lost it again and continued to diet. I like to say I have "won't power, not will power''. As in , I won't eat that, I will eat that instead!
Sparkpeople is a free on-line on-line/community weight loss/maintenance program. I like free.

I love the Eat This/Not That series.

Coming up:

Last edited by OceanDreaming2; February 25th, 2012 at 11:20 AM.

Old February 29th, 2012, 11:56 AM
5,000+ Club

Weighed in for the week yesterday. Overall, I gained since 2/1 but we were on a 10 day cruise so I know I lost some of what I gained since our return home. (Does that make any sense?) Anyway, next week will be better!

Coming up:

Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:31 PM
5,000+ Club

Had my official weigh-in today at WW. Down 1 lb. since last month and 3.7 since 12/1. Hoping for another loss in April.

Now that the weather has warmed up, I've been doing a lot of walking - 2-3 miles a day.

Coming up:

Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Go Mary!

way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fran

Old May 1st, 2012, 06:41 PM
5,000+ Club

Default May 1

First day of the month and my WW meeting falls on a Tuesday, so it was weigh-in day. Down another pound. Darn, it's coming off slower than it came on!

Several days over the past couple of weeks, I've logged over 10,000 steps a day. Sunday I walked my own personal 5K. Being outdoors in our glorious Spring weather beats working out in a gym anyday! I'm sure the A/C gym will feel great when we start out our days at 75-80 deg. but the weather now (at 8:00 AM) is ideal for walking.

Coming up:

Old June 1st, 2012, 03:44 PM
5,000+ Club

Default June weigh-in

Had my monthly weigh-in today - lost .8#. I thought it would be more since I've been walking 2-3 miles a day, plus the normal yard/house work. The weight I put on during our 24 day cruise back in September is finally gone! It went on so much faster.

Coming up:

Old July 3rd, 2012, 04:54 PM
5,000+ Club

Default July

Down another .8# for the month.

I'm still walking 45 minutes most mornings. Some mornings, it's pretty darn hot (as in 85 deg. at 7:30!) and it's hard to do but once I'm started, it's easier.

How is the journey going for others?

Coming up:

Old August 7th, 2012, 05:03 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Am I the only one?

Have to toot my own horn - down 2.2# for the month! Yay me!

Coming up:

Old August 8th, 2012, 07:19 AM
10,000+ Club

I'm down 10 lbs
I'm doing 23 minutes (the time without commercials for recording of the Science Channel show "How do they do it") walking on the treadmill three times a day. (After breakfast, lunch & dinner)

Completed Cruises
Jan '89 Premier pre Disney Oceanic, Baham; May '95 Regal Empress, Mex; Apr '96 Regal Empress, Carib; Jan '06 RCI Radiance of Seas, West Carib; Aug '06 NCL Sun, Alas; Oct '07 NCL Pride of Aloha Hawaii; Feb '08 HAL Westerdam, Irish Theme, Carib; Nov '08 NCL Jade, Med.; Apr '09 NCL Jewel, TA, Miami/Dover; May '09 NCL Jewel, Dover/Baltic; Oct '09 NCL Jewel, New Eng & Can; Nov '09 NCL Jewel, South Carib; Nov '09 NCL Jewel, Baham; Apr '10 NCL Spirit, NOLA/Boston; Sep '10 NCL Pearl, Vanc'ver, Can./LA; Sep '10 NCL Pearl, LA/Pan Canal/Miami; Oct '10 NCL Pearl, Baham; Oct '10 NCL Pearl, West Carib; May '11 NCL Epic, TA, Miami/Barcelona; Oct '11 NCL Jade: Rome/Eastern Med/Rome; Oct '11 RCI Mariner: Rome/Eastern Med/TA/Carib/Galveston; Dec '11 NCL Dawn, Miami/Carib; Apr '12 RCI Majesty, Miami/Carib; Apr '12 RCI Grandeur, Miami/Carib/ TA/Malaga, Spain; Oct '12 NCL Star, NYC/Carib/NOLA; Apr '13 NCL Star, NOLA/TA/Copenhagen; May '13 NCL Star, Copenhagen/Baltic/Copenhagen; Dec '13 NCL Gem, NYC/Carib/NYC; April/May '14 RCI Brilliance Tampa/TA/Harwich UK; May/Jun '14 RubyPrincess: Southampton/Irish & English Channels/Southampton; Oct '14 NCL Sun, LA/Pan Canal/Tampa; Oct '14 NCL Sun, Tampa/Western Carib/Tampa;

Booked Future Cruises
Apr '15 RCCL Radiance: Sydney, AUS/South Pacific/ Honolulu; May '15 RCCL Radiance: Honolulu/Hawaiian Isles/Vancouver, CAN; Oct '15:NCL Sun: SanDiego/Mex Riviera/San Diego; Nov '15 NCL Escape Miami/Bahamas; Nov '15 NCL Escape Miami Eastern Carib; Nov '15 RC Independence, Ft Laud/Southern Carib; Nov '15 RC Independence, Ft Laud/Westrn Carib;

Last edited by Uniall; August 8th, 2012 at 07:23 AM.

Old August 8th, 2012, 11:02 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniall View Post
I'm down 10 lbs
I'm doing 23 minutes (the time without commercials for recording of the Science Channel show "How do they do it") walking on the treadmill three times a day. (After breakfast, lunch & dinner)
Excellent John!

Coming up:

Old August 11th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would like to lose 10 lb before our cruise .I am doing Weight Watchers and it is so slow ......I have lost 15 lb since January but had 2 cruises in that time and a trip to Hawaii.

Old August 16th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCHESSRN View Post
I would like to lose 10 lb before our cruise .I am doing Weight Watchers and it is so slow ......I have lost 15 lb since January but had 2 cruises in that time and a trip to Hawaii.
15 lb is awesome!
I've been keeping track of my calories for the past month and a half -- it's amazing how those little buggers add up! I'm doing 1200 cal -- the diet is of my own making and I'm keeping track on MyFitnessPal ap. It is also a website. For exercise I'm doing something called t-tapp which tones your muscles. It is fairly easy for me and I'm athletically challenged! I use a DVD in the privacy of my own home (: I make DH go away and not watch me (: I've been off of my t-tapp for the past several days because my hip hurts. (I heard something pop while wrestling with my dog). Today DH and I scrubbed our deck and now just about everything hurts.
On the plus side, it was good exercise I suppose.
So far after 6 weeks I've lost 7 lbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Celebrity Reflection -- 2014
NCL Jewel -- 2013
Sapphire Princess -- 2013
[Norwegian Star -- 2012
[Norwegian Dawn -- 2010, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Norwegian Spirit -- 2007
[]Carribean Princess -- 2004, 2005
Grand Princess -- 2003, 2003
Golden Princess -- 2003, 2003
Royal Carribean Majesty of the Seas -- 2002

Old August 20th, 2012, 03:13 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCHESSRN View Post
I'm a former WW leader and have been working hard at losing the weight I picked up on our Baltics/TransAtlantic cruise last fall. Cruises/travel always seem to add additional weight. Just back from our most recent cruise (Alaska/Jewel). Lots of walking on that cruise so I only have 2 additional lb.

Coming up:

Old August 20th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDreaming2 View Post
I'm a former WW leader and have been working hard at losing the weight I picked up on our Baltics/TransAtlantic cruise last fall. Cruises/travel always seem to add additional weight. Just back from our most recent cruise (Alaska/Jewel). Lots of walking on that cruise so I only have 2 additional lb.
We can only hope that a slow weight loss will be more permanent because our " set point" will be lower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Celebrity Reflection -- 2014
NCL Jewel -- 2013
Sapphire Princess -- 2013
[Norwegian Star -- 2012
[Norwegian Dawn -- 2010, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Norwegian Spirit -- 2007
[]Carribean Princess -- 2004, 2005
Grand Princess -- 2003, 2003
Golden Princess -- 2003, 2003
Royal Carribean Majesty of the Seas -- 2002

Old September 4th, 2012, 07:18 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Ufda!

Up this month. Travel, cruising, and Mexican food made for a "bad" weigh-in today.

It's just temporary - back on the wagon tomorrow!

Coming up: