Don't sweat the small stuff

Many are angry about changes at NCL. I have cruised 25++ times and I think i know a thing or two about cruising. I don't think the room service charge is here to stay, but glad we will cruise in the Haven this week...lol, while they figure it out. Do you ask why they did that? We have all seen people who push the boundaries on the ship; the rules don't apply to them. Well, this is what happens. We had a fabulous cruise on NCL Epic in March. We didn't do any specialty dining and everything was still wonderful. Was service slow? Sometimes. Did I have to be anywhere? If you had a show, they would speed up for you. I'm on vacation; I don't have to be anywhere. Our cabin was made up a little late a couple of days. So What!!! How about if everyone writes about the good stuff and quit being so negative. The buffet was the best I've ever experienced, the employees were happy and friendly (love the washy washy people), the shows were....entertaining, the drinks were cold, the food was usually hot. No one was shooting at me, or trying to pickpocket me, or trying to sell me a fake designer piece, or asking me to work. I keep seeing posts about people being scared about their upcoming cruise after reading some of the posts. Of course, it's life, sometimes it doesn't go well. It still counts as a vacation. Quit leaving the glass half empty...fill it up!!!!

We just did our first cruise, so I am on the opposite side of the spectrum of cruise experience then you are. We have vacationed all over and done many all inclusives. I read reviews before we left and if you go by the complainers it should have been a miserable trip.

The elevators sometimes took 2 minutes to show up. I saw some chipped paint on the balcony in a corner. I got fatty steak one night. The rock wall was closed the 1st time we tried to use it. They said there would be 6 mojitos at the tasting, when there were actually 5--and when we said the bartender said 6, they made a sixth for us! See, I can complain too lol.

We had a great time, the bed was comfortable, the food was way better including the desserts then many would lead you to believe. We never went hungry that is for sure, we usually were so stuffed we could barely move. People and crew members were for the most part really nice. My mom is a smoker and found where she could do that without breaking rules. My kid had a blast in splash academy. The pool after dinner was empty and fun.

I think too many people focus on the negatives. Just be on vacation and chill :cool:

Many are angry about changes at NCL. I have cruised 25++ times and I think i know a thing or two about cruising. I don't think the room service charge is here to stay, but glad we will cruise in the Haven this week...lol, while they figure it out. Do you ask why they did that? We have all seen people who push the boundaries on the ship; the rules don't apply to them. Well, this is what happens. We had a fabulous cruise on NCL Epic in March. We didn't do any specialty dining and everything was still wonderful. Was service slow? Sometimes. Did I have to be anywhere? If you had a show, they would speed up for you. I'm on vacation; I don't have to be anywhere. Our cabin was made up a little late a couple of days. So What!!! How about if everyone writes about the good stuff and quit being so negative. The buffet was the best I've ever experienced, the employees were happy and friendly (love the washy washy people), the shows were....entertaining, the drinks were cold, the food was usually hot. No one was shooting at me, or trying to pickpocket me, or trying to sell me a fake designer piece, or asking me to work. I keep seeing posts about people being scared about their upcoming cruise after reading some of the posts. Of course, it's life, sometimes it doesn't go well. It still counts as a vacation. Quit leaving the glass half empty...fill it up!!!!

You are so right. We had a great time last week on the Gem. Some things were great and somthings just good. Nothing was bad. in fact we never had a bad cruise.

Amen!!! I can't wait for my upcoming cruise so I can find things not to complain about!!

Thanks cruisencrazy, for putting a positive spin on things. I've always said that I've never had a bad cruise, it is just that some are better than others!

Put me on the water, serve me my meals, make my bed and I'm a happy camper.

For me, I try not to sweat the small stuff although I do take a mental note of it. The room service charge would never apply to me as I have never once gotten room service and don't think I ever would (if when I was in a suite or Haven). The new "not allowed to take food out of buffet" rule wouldn't really affect me either as I have never really taken food out unless I was getting food for parents who are still sleeping or take food outside to eat if it's not windy. I have gotten bad service and I do mention it on my cruise reviews but it won't ever be the only thing I write about in my review. Thing about service is..they don't have to give us the best service as okay service is by me. It's only rude service that I don't put up with.

Thanks cruisencrazy, for putting a positive spin on things. I've always said that I've never had a bad cruise, it is just that some are better than others!

Put me on the water, serve me my meals, make my bed and I'm a happy camper.

I agree with all of you! When I think of what the crew does - and how they turn around all the staterooms in a few hours, meet 2500 - 3000 new passengers a week, clean up after people who do things on vacation they wouldn't do at home, do it with a smile - AND your steward knows your name as you pass him/her in the hall! You get to visit a different city, island, even country every day - all without unpacking. I feel guilty that they clean my room twice a day - I'd be perfectly happy with once.

It could always be worse - I could be at home having to go to work! :D

Happy Cruising!

I simply agree with the OP's statement "Don't sweat the small stuff".

In the Navy, another word was used for "stuff"!

Relax and enjoy what you can. It may not be the best but its usually not that bad.

The Don't Sweat The Small Stuff is Something I try to keep in the back of my mind - at work, at home, on vacation. Many times that sneaky little worry or complaint slips through.

Last week I found myself in a lousy mood due to many stresses - most of them conjured up by my mind and my perception of things.

I griped and complained early in the week,. then my dear, dear 3 year old granddaughter had to have emergency brain surgery. Guess what, I never thought of those petty things again.

She is recuperating well and with a full recovery expected. God was watching over her and us. Guess he wasn't worried about the small things either - he took care of the big things.

The Don't Sweat The Small Stuff is Something I try to keep in the back of my mind - at work, at home, on vacation. Many times that sneaky little worry or complaint slips through.

Last week I found myself in a lousy mood due to many stresses - most of them conjured up by my mind and my perception of things.

I griped and complained early in the week,. then my dear, dear 3 year old granddaughter had to have emergency brain surgery. Guess what, I never thought of those petty things again.

She is recuperating well and with a full recovery expected. God was watching over her and us. Guess he wasn't worried about the small things either - he took care of the big things.

So glad your daughter is ok. Prayers for your family.

People need to remember you are on a cruise. Something that probably 75%

of the public will never do or be able to afford to do.

You are being treated for the most part like royalty. So what if the meal takes longer than you think it should? So what if your cabin gets made up a little later in the day?

People need to remember you are on a cruise. Something that probably 75%

of the public will never do or be able to afford to do.

You are being treated for the most part like royalty. So what if the meal takes longer than you think it should? So what if your cabin gets made up a little later in the day?

Waiting a bit longer for our meal is fine but I draw the line at waiting 1.5 hrs for our main course at Cagneys for a party of 3.

After experiencing the caribbean for 20 yrs I have learned to go with the flow....however,some of us are saddled with the ....principle of the thing...personality trait....bitter pill to swallow that communication is so poor regarding all the new charges and changes.....and to frame them as enhancing the passenger experience ....am sure ncl will continue to offer a decent product at a competitive rate....I really dislike running into negative nellie's on board and hope most will spout off on cc and enjoy the cruises they do have plans for....I have the dream of a lifetime one booked for the med next year on the spirit and expect to have a fabulous time!!

I've got 90 plus cruises so I have at least four times more experience then you. You are in your own little world in the Haven and lost touch with reality. What you find minor would ruin someone else's vacation. I find it quite pompous when someone knows how the rest of us "should" fell and find minor or major. Your are entitled to your opinion but it doesn't always jive with others.

Edited by cruzsnooze

I love this thread!

We have been on 28/29 cruises over the last 25 years and I have never been on a bad cruise. Have done Disney, NCL, Royal, Carnival and some not around anymore and every one was an adventure. We don't understand folks that let a little thing on the first day break the week.

Our first cruise to nowhere was out of NYC, we took an inside cabin and did not have all the research we have now. Everything was exciting as we boarded the ship, think it was Carnival. Imagine our surprise when we opened the cabin door to find 2 sets of Bunks!! We laughed so hard and made the best of it. It has become one of our stories.

We love cruising for the complete relaxation we BOTH get.

Lynda

I've got 90 plus cruises so I have at least four times more experience then you. You are in your own little world in the Haven and lost touch with reality. What you find minor would ruin someone else's vacation. I find it quite pompous when someone knows how the rest of us "should" fell and find minor or major. Your are entitled to your opinion but it doesn't always jive with others.

Obviously it hasn't been that bad since you continue to cruise. BTW this is our first time in the Haven. When someone says hi how are you? Why would someone say terrible? The good must outweigh the bad or why do we go on? Turn that from upside-down :)

I grew up in a small city where the jobless rate is very high. No one including my parents could ever afford to go on a cruise. A lot of people there get excited when a cruise ship comes into port and they get to SEE one!

I feel so privileged to be able to go on a cruise with my family every year and I could never complain about trivial things or go about my vacation with the attitude I see from some people I encounter on the ships. I know I am paying for a certain level of service but it would have to be a very terrible experience for me to complain endlessly or let it ruin my vacation. Our inside room this year was so small compared to previous cruises. I am always wishing we could afford a bigger stateroom but the flight itself is so expensive. But every vacation has been so fantastic because we choose it to be. And I remind myself that if I went back home to my old friends and complained about how small my room was on my annual cruise ship vacation I think they would roll their eyes and tell me what an a** I've become.:)

Hear hear.

If people want to be sheeple, that's their choice.

Don't tell the rest of us we need to be sheeple too.

Hear hear.

If people want to be sheeple, that's their choice.

Don't tell the rest of us we need to be sheeple too.

I hope you're proud of the fact you take pleasure in making life difficult for people from third world countries :confused:

Most of the things are minor. If the little things ruin your vacation maybe you ought to just work all the time. Example: Waiting 1.5 for your main course at Cagney's. Small stuff... Just doin't go there again if you didn't like the wait.