Pinnacle..... HAL's new Class of Ships.......

sail7seas

If they aren't growing the number in the fleet I'm guessing Statendam or Veendam (would probably be Statendam regardless of Veendam's condition as it's newer)

They will likely grow the fleet though and I've heard talk that within the HAL HQ they are having a naming contest similar to what they had when Eurodam's name came about

How about the Ameridam? Or better yet, how about the DamUSA? ----- just kidding :-)

igraf

Any guesses or suggestions for the name of the first sister?

I actually like naming the new Class of ships Pinnacle. Great name IMO

Pinnacle Class is fair enough.

For a name... there are plenty of good old HAL fleet names ones to choose from.

What I sincerely hoep we don't get is another 'made up' name... like EURODAM.

So many cruise lines are trying to be so 'corporately correct' and the names they are coming up with are just a load of rubbish.

HAL is a company with a long proud tradition and there is a good list of names to choose from without trying to be 'corporate correct'.

True some of the names don't roll off the tongue as easy as other but is it so difficult to learn to pronounce one new Dutch correctly? Everyone has managed OK with ZUIDERDAM! Some other names may raise a giggle in a boy's schoolroom but is that reason enough not to use the name LEERDAM? Some say that EDAM is too 'cheesy', but it is a fine name for a new liner.

So many things in the world are changing... let's keep a small bit of tradition.... Holland America Line tradition... ALIVE!

There is one new name that I would like to see used for a HAL ship. it is MADURODAM.... the name of the minature city in Scheveningen.

Read on for a small bit of history..

Madurodam is a park and tourist attraction in Scheveningen, The Hague, Netherlands, home to a range of perfect 1:25 scale model replicas of famous Dutch castles, public buildings, and large industrial projects as found at various locations in the country. The park was opened in 1952 and has been visited by tens of millions of visitors since that date.

Madurodam was named after George Maduro, a Jewish law student from Curaçao who fought the **** occupation forces as a member of the Dutch resistance and died at Dachau concentration camp in 1945. In 1946 Maduro was posthumously awarded the medal of Knight 4th-class of the Military Order of William, the highest and oldest military decoration in the Kingdom of the Netherlands, for the valor he had demonstrated in the Battle of the Netherlands against German troops. His parents donated the funds necessary for the Madurodam project.

On 2 July 1952, the then teenaged princess Beatrix was appointed mayor of Madurodam, after which she was given a tour of her town. When Beatrix became queen of the Netherlands, she relinquished this function. Today, the mayor of Madurodam is elected by a youth municipal council consisting of 25 pupils from schools in the region.

Stephen

Pinnacle Class is fair enough.

<snip>

So many things in the world are changing... let's keep a small bit of tradition.... Holland America Line tradition... ALIVE!

There is one new name that I would like to see used for a HAL ship. it is MADURODAM.... the name of the minature city in Scheveningen.

Read on for a small bit of history..

Madurodam is a park and tourist attraction in Scheveningen, The Hague, Netherlands, home to a range of perfect 1:25 scale model replicas of famous Dutch castles, public buildings, and large industrial projects as found at various locations in the country. The park was opened in 1952 and has been visited by tens of millions of visitors since that date.

Madurodam was named after George Maduro, a Jewish law student from Curaçao who fought the **** occupation forces as a member of the Dutch resistance and died at Dachau concentration camp in 1945. In 1946 Maduro was posthumously awarded the medal of Knight 4th-class of the Military Order of William, the highest and oldest military decoration in the Kingdom of the Netherlands, for the valor he had demonstrated in the Battle of the Netherlands against German troops. His parents donated the funds necessary for the Madurodam project.

On 2 July 1952, the then teenaged princess Beatrix was appointed mayor of Madurodam, after which she was given a tour of her town. When Beatrix became queen of the Netherlands, she relinquished this function. Today, the mayor of Madurodam is elected by a youth municipal council consisting of 25 pupils from schools in the region.

Stephen

What an interesting story........ Thank you for sharing. Great Idea for a ship's name.

Markendam

Marken, Holland

My Underlines and italics ........

I like both names. Great suggestions. IMO

How about "Schlepperdam" for all those who tote cases of beverages aboard.:)

Now, how did I know you were going to say that:D

To the topic - I agree with Stephen - there are a lot of great names out there - let's hope they choose one that goes with the tradition:)

Archived