Windy on deck?

eliminnowp

How windy does it get on deck on an average cruising day?

I plan on having layers and a jacket (we're headed to Alaska), but I have long hair and need to know if I should plan to keep it tied back.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Forums mobile app

Depends on which deck and where you are! But if you're going to Alaska, so much is in the viewing as you sail by, that you will probably want to be on deck, near a rail, a lot of the time...and it could be very windy, depending on how fast the wind is blowing and from which direction, and how fast the ship is moving. I'd plan to tie your hair back.

Have fun!

At the railing, it's very windy when the ship is underway. If you step about 4-6 steps back, the wind is greatly reduced.

My hair is in a ponytail almost all day long...just easier. At night, I get "gussied up" and simply don't go out into the wind!

If there is a light breeze - say five miles per hour and the ship is moving at 20 miles per hour into the breeze, you will feel a 25 mph wind. Or, if there is a strong breeze, say 20 mph, and the ship is moving the same 20 mph in the same direction, you will feel no movement of air at all.

The answer - like much else about cruising - is "it depends".

Thank you all for the info. I guess I should pack some hair ties and clips so I don't end up looking like a windblown mess :) I plan on spending a lot of time out looking at the scenery.

Thank you all for the info. I guess I should pack some hair ties and clips so I don't end up looking like a windblown mess :) I plan on spending a lot of time out looking at the scenery.

Any wind which fluffs you up will hit everyone around you - Alaska is too great an experience to worry about a few displaced strands - besides,,it feels great to gave the wind in your face.

....Alaska is too great an experience to worry about a few displaced strands - besides,,it feels great to gave the wind in your face.

Yes, but I will add that for a woman with long hair, it can be difficult to manage it after said windy experience. I fully understand where OP is coming from. :)

I plan on having layers and a jacket (we're headed to Alaska), but I have long hair and need to know if I should plan to keep it tied back.

It is a simple matter of relativity.

If the wind is blowing towards you at 20 knots and the ship is going at 20 knots, you are feeling a 40 knot wind into your face.

If the wind is blowing away from you at 20 knots and the ship is going at 20 knots, you feel no effective wind.

If the wind is at an angle to you, the wind you feel depends upon the direction of the wind.

It is a simple application of vector mathematics. You can also figure it out using triangles.

DON

DON wins a prize for the use of trigonometry on Cruise Critic. It takes real chutzpah to say vector arithmetic like any number of people will know it. Although I think this board has enough geeks this works.

Well played.

M

DON wins a prize for the use of trigonometry on Cruise Critic. It takes real chutzpah to say vector arithmetic like any number of people will know it. Although I think this board has enough geeks this works.

Well played.

M

You mean you don't know vector arithmetic? :eek:

:D

I might. My Geek Meter sits in the red. Friends only comment when it pins.

On a serious note, even if most people do not know the math involved, they do understand how ship speed and direction and overall wind speed and direction can come together to mess their hair.

We took our teenage daughter on her first cruise last year, and she experienced a hair disaster!

She asked one evening if she could go play basketball with her friends, and I said yes, and asked if she was going to braid her hair before going [her hair is waist length]. She said no, it will be fine.

Fast forward a couple of hours and my daughter returns from the upper deck, only to spend an hour in the bathroom de-tangling her hair! It looked like an enormous afro!

After that evening, she always put her hair in braids or a twist before venturing to the upper/outer decks.

• 5 weeks later...

In addition to hair, you should be mindful of earrings - especially dangle earrings. On my first cruise, the wind on deck whipped one out of my ear.

I still wear dangle earrings on the ship, but I carry a small jewelry box with me. If I go out on deck, and the wind is especially strong, I take the earrings out, and put them in the box.

Hats and eye/sun glasses have also been know to fly away if the wind is especially strong.

Depends upon 4 factors - the speed of the wind; the speed of the ship; the direction of the wind; and the direction of the ship. To get an accurate answer requires vector math. However, the simplistic answer is that it depends and it can vary from no effective wind at all to really really (think 30 or 40 mph) windy.

DON

Depends upon 4 factors - the speed of the wind; the speed of the ship; the direction of the wind; and the direction of the ship. To get an accurate answer requires vector math. However, the simplistic answer is that it depends and it can vary from no effective wind at all to really really (think 30 or 40 mph) windy.

DON

HAL ships show the direction and speed of the effective wind on their "navigation" channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have been there many times, it can get windy.

Its usually pretty windy. i did notice on our last cruise on the Oasis it was windy. wish i would have been one of them cool people with them Boca Clips :D towels were flying all over

Bring whatever you need to hold your hair back. It will be very windy at sea (especially at the very front of the ship) so you will definitely want something strong to hold your hair back.

I have waist-length hair and intend on bringing some hair ties, clips, and pens. I'm one of the lucky ones who's able to put my hair in a secure bun with a chopstick or stick pen :) Maybe some of those bun spirals or similar would be of use. I love those!

goody.jpg