SandCastle beach questions

slyster

Hi...i have been going through the threads trying to piece together some info for SandCaste beach. Hoping I can get some answers:

1. How much does a taxi/shuttle cost to get there?

2. It seems you can rent chairs and umbrellas, but how much does it cost?

3. When does it start to get crowded? We were thinking about going on the morning around 10 and sticking around until about 1 or so...

4. Are there bathrooms, showers available?

thanks in advance!

The answers to your questions are in the posts on the thread about Sandcastle or Rainbow beach, which one would you choose? on page one of the St.Croix port of call section. We enjoyed our day there several years ago. We went there around 9:30 or 10:00 and it wasn't crowded. There were toilets and a shower available.

Edited by marys350

Mary, thank you...I saw the thread and for some reason missed the post:

The Day Pass Includes:

Hotel Facilities Located On The Best Swimming Beach On St. Croix

Outdoor Shower

1 Lounge Chair Per Person

Restrooms

Restaurant & Bar on Premises

Fresh Water Sea Side Pool

Umbrellas are Available for $10 Each with purchase of 2 Beach Passes

** Special Beach Package **

2 Lounge Chairs, 1 Umbrella & 2 Rum Punch for $25

I see there are restrooms there too, but wondered about the shower so thanks for confirming that too.

For others reading the thread: taxi is about $6 round trip and from those who arrived around 10 or 11, it wasn't crowded yet....

How did you find the walking route and did the shuttle come and go from the beach? What was the name of the shuttle? Thanks so much!!!

The shuttle was a no-name white Econoline van. No need to reserve in advance.

We just walked as close to the water as we could. First along a waterfront pathway, eventually along a road that had almost no traffic. No danger at all.

We actually enjoy walking and had planned to walk back too but there was a shuttle sitting outside when we went to leave.... next thing you know we decided to jump on.

You can see the ocean all the way but it is not a beautiful walk. Not worth walking just to save the money but easily doable if like us you need to walk off some of the cruise calories. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Mary, thank you...I saw the thread and for some reason missed the post:

The Day Pass Includes:

Hotel Facilities Located On The Best Swimming Beach On St. Croix

Outdoor Shower

1 Lounge Chair Per Person

Restrooms

Restaurant & Bar on Premises

Fresh Water Sea Side Pool

Umbrellas are Available for $10 Each with purchase of 2 Beach Passes

** Special Beach Package **

2 Lounge Chairs, 1 Umbrella & 2 Rum Punch for $25

I see there are restrooms there too, but wondered about the shower so thanks for confirming that too.

For others reading the thread: taxi is about $6 round trip and from those who arrived around 10 or 11, it wasn't crowded yet....

Last time we went, we just grabbed a cab -$3 each way, and went to the beach. We did not buy any Day Pass. They just charged us for our 2 chairs and 1 umbrella, I want to say around $20.

So maybe they have changed that? Does each person have to pay $25 or is that the price for 2 people?

Edited by karena1

I think this time we are going to go to Fredericks Beach which you can walk to from the beach. Every time we are at Sandcastle a cloud just sits there. Sun to the left, sun to right, but not at Sandcastle. Just the weirdest thing ever! So going to try Fredericks and see how it is this time

Horrible day at Sandcastle yesterday. This was our first time here. We were with friends who had been before. The receptionist was super friendly and efficient! The beach attendant was ok but not overly friendly. The beach is very small and large rocks stick up. One of the local visitors told us they have had major beach erosion tis year! That didn't bother me though as I typically don't get in the water anyway. Jut reporting what we saw /were told.

There is no beach food /beverage service. If you buy the package with the rum punch you must go to the bar for the drink. No problem there either. Went to bar about 11:15 and was served the rum punch immediately.

The horrible service came at lunch time. We went to the cafe for lunch at approximately 1:00 pm. They had just gotten a "rush". We couldn't even Et drinks. We kept asking and they kept making excuses. Even when I tried canceling my frozen drink order (after 45 minutes) and just tried to get a diet coke, it took us asking 3 more times. After about 1.75 hours....4 of the 8 of us walked out. The other 4 finally received food and were offered a 25% discount.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Sandcastle in November of 2013, and it was one of the most enjoyable days ever. At that time, there was food and beverage service on the beach. The water was absolutely beautiful and clear, and I did not notice the large rocks others have mentioned. A word of caution, though - Caribbean beers are really strong.;)

We visited Sandcastles last week. It was great. We walked from the ship, just turn right and walk along the paved path. Go past the park and it will be on the right. Very easy, no traffic and very safe. Saw iguanas on our walk.

The beach was wonderful. Not crowded.

I did find some sea glass and a few shells. There are some rocks and I wore my water shoes.

Free wifi, outdoor fresh water shower, small but very nice pool. Did not purchase food, but the bar was fine.

friendly women at the entrance took our $ 5 each for a chair. No need for an umbrella, we had the shade of trees.

Wonderful day in St Croix!!

So do you have to have reservations to go to Sandcastle??

We are planning on going to the rum factory in the morning and planning on the weather, we hope to go to Sandcastle in the afternoon. But don't want to make reservations, just in case we find something else we want to do instead.

So do you have to have reservations to go to Sandcastle??

We are planning on going to the rum factory in the morning and planning on the weather, we hope to go to Sandcastle in the afternoon. But don't want to make reservations, just in case we find something else we want to do instead.

We didn't have a reservation and just showed up. They seemed fine with it - I just asked how much to rent two chairs and was given the answer. Nobody asked if I had reserved first.

Thanks for this. St Croix is the only island we haven't been belfry while we are on this b2b. We are travelling with a 13 yr old and a 10 year old. Is there anything else those of you who have been here before. I want to try to go to the beach for sure but thought maybe some of you have some recommendations. Thanks everyone.

Chase

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for this. St Croix is the only island we haven't been belfry while we are on this b2b. We are travelling with a 13 yr old and a 10 year old. Is there anything else those of you who have been here before. I want to try to go to the beach for sure but thought maybe some of you have some recommendations. Thanks everyone.

Chase

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your kids would love a Tan Tan Tour--think HUGE jeeps that go just about everywhere including the Annaly Bay Tidal Pools which are great fun. Not cheap but a great time. A half day tour that includes Annaly Bay would be perfect.

Another idea is to do Geckos Island Adventures Jetski/4WD tours. This is in Frederiksted, near the pier, and ends up at Rainbow Beach for the Jetskiing which is a lovely beach with a restaurant.

Buck Island is also terrific if you kids like to snorkel or would be up for trying it.

Between Sandcastle and Dorsch Beach next door the whole area is always packed with locals on Sundays. Of course you are all welcome to come join us but if you're looking for a quiet relaxed time I recommend you head over to Rainbow Beach.