Bilboa?

Us Two

We are doing a T A in April and do not see anything on this board re Bilboa. I have some ??s in re how far is the cruise port to the old town and how would you suggest we get there. Is the old town where we should spend our time , only having several hours. We're not interested in museums but would like to see the old town, have lunch and do some shopping. Hope you can help.......Joan.

We are doing a T A in April and do not see anything on this board re Bilboa. I have some ??s in re how far is the cruise port to the old town and how would you suggest we get there. Is the old town where we should spend our time , only having several hours. We're not interested in museums but would like to see the old town, have lunch and do some shopping. Hope you can help.......Joan.

If you do a search you will find some info (some from us). Your ship will dock at Gexto which is quite a few miles from Bilbao. There will be a free bus shuttle service into Bilboa, and the last time we were there (about 15 months ago) the drop point was within walking distance of the Guggenheim. It is also possible to walk into the center of town or to the old town area from the bus drop. If you have an issue with walking (we are talking a couple of miles over the day) then there is an excellent Tram service that actually works quite well from the Bilbao area up the river to the old town neighborhood. Old Town is a reasonable walk to the center of the modern city (and its major shopping area).

So, if the weather is good and you like to walk, we think its a great place to use the shuttle bus and your feet. Otherwise, use the shuttle bus and take advantage of the tram.

Hank

Hi,

yes, the old town, "casco viejo" ,is a good choice of where to spend your time. I agree that the inside of the Museum is not worth your time but do not discount seeing the outside, also from the opposite side of the river. You can walk from there to the Old town. Make sure you go to the central market, Mercado de la Ribera. For lunch you could go to one of the cafes around the Plaza Nueva, I like Victor Montes.

Enjoy!!