Malaga

sarar

Has anybody done Malaga on a cruise that can advise me please? I will be visiting there for the first time in 2 weeks and have read that we can get a shuttle bus to the port gate and then it is an easy walk to Malaga, but what can we find in Malaga?

Sara

it depends on what you want to see and how much time you have

the city itself is lovely :)

close is Mija - fabulous coastal town about 30 or so minutes from the port

Alhambra - worth every penny - a couple hours from the port - lots of independent tours from the port and yes you can make it work

Cordoba - also a couple hours from the port - stunning

hope that helps

Patrice

Edited by ptsaint

it depends on what you want to see and how much time you have

the city itself is lovely :)

close is Mija - fabulous coastal town about 30 or so minutes from the port

Alhambra - worth every penny - a couple hours from the port - lots of independent tours from the port and yes you can make it work

Cordoba - also a couple hours from the port - stunning

hope that helps

Patrice[/QUOT

Hi Patrice,

Thanks for the speedy reply. As it will be December when we are there, we won't be planning on going to any beaches, but probably shops, cafes and a bit of sightseeing instead. I am in a small wheelchair with mum and dad pushing me, I am able to walk a bit and have even managed to do places like Ephesus, Santorini and Mykonos, so we are not strangers to uneven terrain.

Thanks

Sara

Has anybody done Malaga on a cruise that can advise me please? I will be visiting there for the first time in 2 weeks and have read that we can get a shuttle bus to the port gate and then it is an easy walk to Malaga, but what can we find in Malaga?

Sara

Hi Sara,

Malaga itself has a cathedral & Picasso museum (a fair walk). And a castle (Gibralfaro castle) overlooking the town. For the castle you really need transport, though the walk down is easier. The castle is included in the ho-ho route (there's a ho-ho stop close to the port gate) but there are effectively no castle buildings - just the walls, which you can walk, and panoramic views.

I don't rate the town highly, ptsaint clearly does - it's subjective, neither of us is wrong. ;)

Mijas is about 30 minutes away. Nowadays very touristy, but if you go up behind the shops clustered around the viewpoint you'll find quiet & immaculate narrow little streets typical of the "white villages," and the little bullring. Easiest by taxi (plenty ranked-up in Mijas for your return to the ship). Possible but slow by train along the coast to Fuengirola then local bus up to Mijas, which overlooks the coast from up in the hills. Can also be done by renting a car.

Many places & urbanisations some distance from the town have incorporated the name Mijas - Mijas Costa, Mijas Golf, etc. What you want is Mijas Pueblo, though taxi drivers will know that..

If you're going to rent a car & you have the time, you could take a much longer attractive drive across-country via white villages like El Burgo to Ronda (google the place). Then make the drive a circular route by returning down the scenic & twisting valley road direct toward the sea at San Pedro & along the coastal toll autoroute back to the ship - don't be tempted to take the slow free autoroute. Minimum total driving time about 3.5 hours, but most of it is scenic.

Travel by train from Marbella to Ronda used to be impractical due to poor connection times but I think I read here on CC that timetabling is now much better, making it worth considering.

If you want to go to the Alhambra at Granada, it's a simple, fast & scenic 90 mile / 1 hr 40 minute drive - along the coast to near Motril, then the fast Granada road under the shadow of the Sierra Nevada. The Alhambra is just off that road & on the southern outskirts of Granada so no need to mix it with city traffic.

BUT you do need to buy timed Alhambra tickets in advance & some days/times sell-out months in advance. Because of that, & the long journey, most prefer to visit the Alhambra as a ship's excursion. The drive on ships' coaches is usually the boring inland route via Loja.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Regarding that port we have never had a problem simply walking from the ship to the port entrance. But there is also usually some kind of internal port shuttle. As to walking into the center of Malaga, that is not a problem for those who like long walks. Once outside the port you simply walk along the sidewalk (to your left) and you will eventually get to where you can turn right and go right into the center. We often walk from the port to the train station where we usually have a reserved rental car.

Having spent some time in this region, the city of Malaga is not our choice of places to spend although the city certainly has its charm. A first time visitor might consider a tour (private or cruise line) to Granada and the amazing Alhambra. When we have a rental car we will often stop at Mijas and later drive all the way to Ronda, which has long been a favorite place for DW and myself. During the hot months we sometimes prefer to drive over to Nerja where we simply enjoy the beach (where there is a stand that makes the best Paella) and also like the quaint city. And then there is nearby Marbella which has a really nice shopping area along the water. There is a lot to love about this part of Spain.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

When we cruised to Malaga we had a wonderful day in the city itself. It was very sunny but cool in the morning and warm in the afternoon. We got off the ship as soon as possible and headed straight for a cab (they were parked right next to the ship terminal). We told the driver we wanted to go to Gilbrafaro and he took us right to the top. We used the machines to buy admission to the citadel and the palace (credit card) and spent some lovely and uncrowded time walking along the walls of the citadel admiring the lovely views of the city and sea. There is also a small military museum up there. As the tour buses started rolling in we started making our way downhill on foot. Next stop was the palace with its lovely gardens and fountains. Then on into the city where we stopped to look at the ruins of the old Roman theater. Next we stopped at the Picasso museum, where we spent an hour or so. We visited the Cathedral, stopped for Gelato, all the while heading back towards the port. We visited some nice gift shops and ended up at the waterfront marina where everyone was enjoying the lovely day at the outdoor cafes. We stopped for a late lunch of paella, checked out some of the waterfront shops and walked back toward the ship (there was a little shuttle running from the ship to the entrance of this waterfront area). Near the ship was a beach and we took a walk along the ocean before calling it a day. We thought it was a lovely way to spend the day in Malaga!

• 2 months later...

If you are going to stay in Malaga before or after a cruise, cannot say better things about this hotel. Great local hotel with view of cruise port. Able to walk to so many places you want to see and bus to both areas with very helpful staff. We stayed there before and after the cruise and LOVED it!

Sarar

Normally I would advise anybody never having visited this area before to hire a car and drive to Granada. However, you mentioned that you are in a wheelchair and the Alhambra is definitely not disabled friendly. The last time I was there, last December, I took a mobility scooter. We visited the Alhambra because my OH had never been there. I had visited quite a few times before, but if it ad been my first visit I would have been disappointed as to how much I could see. I realise it was built by the Moors, but I felt that it could have been improved considerably for wheelchair access.

Spain, in general is quite wheelchair friendly and there always seems to be somebody willing to help.

In your circumstances I would stay in Malaga. There is more than enough to keep you occupied for a day. There are some excellent museums, great tapas bars, the cathedral,Gibralfaro, shopping etc. many museums in Spain offer discount or free entrance rates for disabled people and their carers, including the Alhambra. I don't know which day of the week you will be there, but many museums close on a Monday, but their relevant website will give you that information.

I suggest you look on the Malaga Forum on Tripadvisor where there is lots of information about what to see and do in Malaga.

Regarding that port we have never had a problem simply walking from the ship to the port entrance. But there is also usually some kind of internal port shuttle. As to walking into the center of Malaga, that is not a problem for those who like long walks. Once outside the port you simply walk along the sidewalk (to your left) and you will eventually get to where you can turn right and go right into the center. We often walk from the port to the train station where we usually have a reserved rental car.

Having spent some time in this region, the city of Malaga is not our choice of places to spend although the city certainly has its charm. A first time visitor might consider a tour (private or cruise line) to Granada and the amazing Alhambra. When we have a rental car we will often stop at Mijas and later drive all the way to Ronda, which has long been a favorite place for DW and myself. During the hot months we sometimes prefer to drive over to Nerja where we simply enjoy the beach (where there is a stand that makes the best Paella) and also like the quaint city. And then there is nearby Marbella which has a really nice shopping area along the water. There is a lot to love about this part of Spain.

Hank

HANK, Have you been to Malaga during their Easter Parade?? I wonder if they have 'Reserved Spots' for better viewing such as from balconies/bleachers for a fee? Locomotiveman Tom

HANK, Have you been to Malaga during their Easter Parade?? I wonder if they have 'Reserved Spots' for better viewing such as from balconies/bleachers for a fee? Locomotiveman Tom

Nope! But one wonders if some enterprising folks rent-out some prime viewing space from a private balcony (or some other viewing area). If in your situation we would certainly look around on the internet and perhaps send a direct e-mail to the local tourist office at: info@malagaturismo.com

Hank

Hank,

You seem to have a lot of first hand knowledge about this area.

We are contemplating a tour to Rhonda,(my dh uses a mobility scooter).

The tour operator said Rhonda is accessible.

We will be in port 10 hrs but prefer 6-7 hr tours.

I understand travel will be 3 hrs round trip, that leaves 3-4 hrs for tour .

Do you think that's enough?

Any suggestions?

karen

This article mentions some seating available.

http://www.andalucia.com/festival/easter/malaga.htm

I think it is important to keep in mind that these are religious processions and not an 'Easter Parade'. These move very slowly and they are not one procession but a series of many processions leaving from various locations. It can often take almost an hour just to remove the 'icon' from the cathedral for instance.

Remember that Malaga is also a region and not just a city. That means that processions throughout the region can sometimes be referred to as Malaga, but will actually be in various cities throughout the Autonomous Region of Malaga.

I do not want to sound like an expert only having viewed them on several occasions and the atmosphere can be quite somber and not 'festive'.

Hank,

You seem to have a lot of first hand knowledge about this area.

We are contemplating a tour to Rhonda,(my dh uses a mobility scooter).

The tour operator said Rhonda is accessible.

We will be in port 10 hrs but prefer 6-7 hr tours.

I understand travel will be 3 hrs round trip, that leaves 3-4 hrs for tour .

Do you think that's enough?

Any suggestions?

karen

Ronda is one of DW's favorite towns in the region and during our most recent visit (about 2 years ago) we were stunned at how much the city has "sprawled" outside from its historic center-gorge area. I think that many parts of Ronda are wheelchair accessible and, of course, there are some areas with limitations (especially some restaurants right on the gorge). This is probably where having a professional guide will pay dividends as they should know exactly where to go and what to avoid. But the streets and sidewalks around the gorge part of town (where you want to be) should be very accessible. The bride over the gorge (with amazing views) is certainly accessible and most of the nearby shopping streets are relatively flat and fully developed. If you enjoy eating Paella for lunch, you might consider asking your guide to take you to a restaurant that specializes in this dish.

You already know it is a relatively long drive from Malaga to Ronda, but parts of this drive are really picturesque and part of the fun. You might want to also ask your guide if its reasonably to make a quick stop in Mijas which is a cute village with some great views. Parts of Mijas would not be very accessible (too hilly) but some of the central streets would be wheelchair accessible. Mijas makes sense if you find yourselves with some extra time as you return towards Malaga.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Ronda is one of DW's favorite towns in the region and during our most recent visit (about 2 years ago) we were stunned at how much the city has "sprawled" outside from its historic center-gorge area. I think that many parts of Ronda are wheelchair accessible and, of course, there are some areas with limitations (especially some restaurants right on the gorge). This is probably where having a professional guide will pay dividends as they should know exactly where to go and what to avoid. But the streets and sidewalks around the gorge part of town (where you want to be) should be very accessible. The bride over the gorge (with amazing views) is certainly accessible and most of the nearby shopping streets are relatively flat and fully developed. If you enjoy eating Paella for lunch, you might consider asking your guide to take you to a restaurant that specializes in this dish.

You already know it is a relatively long drive from Malaga to Ronda, but parts of this drive are really picturesque and part of the fun. You might want to also ask your guide if its reasonably to make a quick stop in Mijas which is a cute village with some great views. Parts of Mijas would not be very accessible (too hilly) but some of the central streets would be wheelchair accessible. Mijas makes sense if you find yourselves with some extra time as you return towards Malaga.

Thanks. What do you think about the time? Do you think 2-3 hrs is enough time?

Thanks again

Karen

While it is my intention to take the HoHo as all the stops are

In my bucket list..... Except that I didn't see listed the Picasso museum.....

Since we are in port from 7am to 8pm I am thinking that even with all the

Stops listed..... I can give my little mermaid time to spent in the Marbella/costa

del Sol waters while I eat tapas and drink Sangria and people watch. :)

Is there public transportation from the port to Marbella??? If not

Is it Viator the best way to arrange for transport ?

Thanks

AJ

While it is my intention to take the HoHo as all the stops are

In my bucket list..... Except that I didn't see listed the Picasso museum.....

Since we are in port from 7am to 8pm I am thinking that even with all the

Stops listed..... I can give my little mermaid time to spent in the Marbella/costa

del Sol waters while I eat tapas and drink Sangria and people watch. :)

Is there public transportation from the port to Marbella??? If not

Is it Viator the best way to arrange for transport ?

Thanks

AJ

My DH and I walked to Alcazaba. Viator can be okay, but sometimes you pay for a small group and end up with a large group and no refund. That's why we don't use them and tend to organize small groups ourselves. The Picasso Museum is okay, just do a taxi if you can't get there any other way. Just agree upon the price before hand. We found Malaga very walkable.

Good luck!

S

Walk is the only way to keep the weight down....

Thanks again

AJ

My DH and I walked to Alcazaba. Viator can be okay, but sometimes you pay for a small group and end up with a large group and no refund. That's why we don't use them and tend to organize small groups ourselves. The Picasso Museum is okay, just do a taxi if you can't get there any other way. Just agree upon the price before hand. We found Malaga very walkable.

Good luck!

S